wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
laurence
Boat
2021 Allied WildCat 30
Yup. Depends on the swell height and direction.

SLYDOG

(:
Feb 11, 2015
Tacoma, WA
Name
John
Boat
2015 210 Hewescraft Searunner ET HT
obviously boat, weather and experience level crossing the bar is a major factor for the sake of answering your question though I’ll ignore that rabbit hole. In general I would say head out by 6 or earlier if you can, and expect the bar to be a bit sporty on the way out especially if the swell is large. I wouldn’t worry about the exact timing in the afternoon, generally the flood tide in the afternoon makes for a smoother crossing.

C-Dawg

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 29, 2011
Elk Plain, WA
Name
Rick
Boat
JodyRay, 24' Sea Sport Explorer
This is what BuoyWeather is predicting for the 6th:

Thursday 8/6

Morning
Breezy NW winds with moderate choppy seas. Moderate short period waves.
Winds: NW 12 to 17 knots.
Seas: NW 8 feet at 8 seconds.

Afternoon
Breezy NW winds with moderate choppy seas. Moderate short period waves.
Winds: NW 12 to 17 knots.
Seas: NW 8 feet at 8 seconds.

Genie Aye

FISH BOSS
Sep 25, 2008
Renton/ Westport
Name
Cap't Paul
Boat
V-20 Wellcraft w/200HO E-TEC
That is a average tide exchange in Westport, unless the swell is big and/or the winds are blowing(which ya probly wouldn't go in that case anyways) that tide won't effect when i cross at sun up.

And agian, a weather forecast that far out like that, hahaha, they are lucky to get it right the morning of 80% of the time. I was fishing 18mi south of westport saturday in what noaa was calling for small craft warning...

Reactions: TimeZoned

GregE

Seeking Kodak Moments
May 17, 2011
Shelton, WA Mason
www.sagecreekforums.com
Name
Greg Eastman
Boat
Kodak II - Arima SL 22
With larger flood/ ebb tide exchanges I avoid the middle 1/3 that's the max flow. LeRoy's Ramblings explains bar crossing considerations well.

carrie's bait boy

No ones prostaff
Apr 17, 2015
Kent WA and Westport WA
Name
norm
Boat
Too many
That is a average tide exchange in Westport, unless the swell is big and/or the winds are blowing(which ya probly wouldn't go in that case anyways) that tide won't effect when i cross at sun up.

And agian, a weather forecast that far out like that, hahaha, they are lucky to get it right the morning of 80% of the time. I was fishing 18mi south of westport saturday in what noaa was calling for small craft warning...
Walser, small craft warning just means for the rest of us to be on the lookout for you as we haul ass home

Reactions: Hard Chargin'

JTC

Too Sirius
Aug 13, 2012
Redmond Wa
Name
Jeff
Boat
24' North River O/S. SIRIUS FISHIN
Check out deep zoom for the current coming out of the bar
over 3 gets a little rough over 4 gets worse
overall looks really bad, I think all should stay home!

Reactions: Nineball

Nineball

That's a keeper!
Jul 16, 2012
Port orchard
Name
Chris
Boat
Parker 2310 "GUANO LOCO"
Check out deep zoom for the current coming out of the bar
over 3 gets a little rough over 4 gets worse
overall looks really bad, I think all should stay home!
Is that when Patrick is the only one out there?LOL The last time he had to have Daniel stop cutting up fish for a few minutes

and I was like:eek:

kwik_wurk

Apr 10, 2012
Indianola & Browns Point
Name
kwik_wurk
Boat
Montauk, Sailfish 2360, and Johnson18
Well who knows what the weather is going to be. Looking at a specific forecast 10 days out is a stretch. 10 days maybe to see if a major LP system is moving up the coast, but that’s about it.

Without knowing the boat and abilities.

Looking at thursday, yeah 3.37knots ebb is something to avoid if possible. So generally speaking motoring out of the marina at 9AM; as an starting point. If it’s small swell, <4‘ or less, then move up the time 30 min/per 1’ based on how little swell there is. (reverse holds true for worse conditions)

A2E47E59-60D9-418B-AF89-92D876315F2C.jpeg

Since we’re on topic of bar crossing. A separate question about the slot. — What is the minimum tide you’ll run the slot, with a given swell. Obviously a little complex. But was curious if i was being too conservative.

I’ll go first, 4’ tide and ~6’ swell, in my bigger boat 24’ (w/twins). But in the little 17 Montauk BW i’ll run to 0’ and usually there is little swell anyways otherwise it would be the bigger boat.

C-Dawg

Jun 29, 2011
Elk Plain, WA
Name
Rick
Boat
JodyRay, 24' Sea Sport Explorer
As for the wx. No one can predict wx two weeks out. It will change 20 times between now and the opener.
It's already trending down.

Thursday 8/6

Morning
Breezy NW winds with moderate choppy seas. Small very short period waves.
Winds: NW 10 to 14 knots.
Seas: NW 5 feet at 6 seconds.

Afternoon
Breezy NW winds with moderate choppy seas. Small short period waves.
Winds: NW 12 to 16 knots.
Seas: WNW 5 feet at 7 seconds.

For working stiffs that need to give several days notice before taking time off to fish, watching the weather trend really helps making an informed decision before taking a day off work and driving 2 hours in the early morning.

Matt_F

Jul 28, 2015
Shoreline, WA
Name
Matt F
Boat
Grady White 22' Seafarer
We are typically up North in May. If one was to go looking in MA2 what would be a good plan? Straight out to the canyons and fish the edges and plateaus? What is that about a 25, 30 mile run? Thank you. Any insight is appreciated. Not looking for your honey hole or numbers. Unless you want to PM me....LOL.