Explorer1

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 6, 2019
Toronto
Name
San
Boat
None
Not trying to start a brand war here, just want the facts/experience member have over this brand.
Rod is brand new and came with Spiral AntiClockwise. I changed it to Clockwise Spiral and while trying to load test it see how the line touching each guides, braided line broke easily. Never put much thought in it as it is “Old line”. 2nd breakage, I examined and found the tip is chipped.
Ok since it brand new, I will have to blame on the shipping damage. (Things happen, it’s ok)......but I got me thinking, are they not as durable as compare to other brands? Been using Fuji Alconite and SIC (before these) and now I just got 4 new rods with ALPS on them.

ALPS IGXHZG 316
thoughts?
92293D8C-C96E-4FB2-BDC6-240919D54BBE.png

plj46

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
I've never been a fan of any brand of "insert" type guides.This is why.Maybe on a lighter rod but that's it.I would think Alps is as good as it gets.For the price they should be.

Reactions: Explorer1

MATTANZA

old man of the sea, in training.
Aug 23, 2004
Cali the state of confusion, the state of shock
Name
RICK
Boat
Boston Whaler 25' Outrage "MATTANZA II", 34' Radovcich "AMY ANNE" {when it needs to be fixed}
fuji break too, ask my buddy jesse, lol. he broke the same guide on the same rod 3 times, now. i'm rewrapping it with ss unbraced guides. some of the lighter guides with big rings you can take your thumb and push the rings out. fuji sics seem to hold up the best.

gecsr1

28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II"
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II" / PlainJaneRods
I have been very happy with Alps Guides....

stella marina

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Nov 21, 2011
santa cruz
Name
Andrew
Boat
Parker 2320, 16 Klamath cc, 10 ft Livingston "bass slayer"
Alps are great, must just be a bad one...at least the tip top is easy to replace.