Alps Guide Question - Looking for the link to it @ Batson

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Building Forum' started by 5-20, Apr 6, 2019.

1. 5-20

5-20 Poseidon Group's Back Up Trident Thrower

Name:
    5-20
    Boat:
    L2 Fish
    I am getting my first custom salt rod built. Pretty excited about it. I've had only one other custom rod built and that was a freshwater bass jig rod a good number of years ago.

This rod is an Edge 7'10 #80 rod. Wanted to ask about the Alps guide listed on the build sheet.

It's listed as Batson XTCHXNZG from sizes 10 through 25.

I looked it up on the Alps site and couldn't find this exact guide. Knowing myself, I'm probably missing something. Ha. Wondering if one of you could maybe send or post the link to this guide.

Hmm, so, I think I have a good idea of how I want to have this rod built. Meeting with a local builder to get this done soon.

Just wondering if any of you guys would want to suggest me thinking about anything that I might want to add to the build or get done from a performance standpoint?

Going with all Alps components on this rod. It is going to be a very versatile rod and I am thinking I will use it for moving baits like poppers, stickbaits, some casting jigs and sardines.

Couple of thoughts I've had. Possibly adding a trigger seat. I really like those coming from a freshwater swimbait background. Casting heavy baits repeatedly often feels a lot better with a trigger seat. I'm just not entirely sure it's the right way to go with this rod.

What about adding a hook keeper. Sometimes I really like having one, so that I can hook up a big bait to the rod quickly and so that I don't have to hook it up on the reel and end up possibly nicking the line or scratching the reel badly.

Appreciate any other thoughts you might have. This is going to be a fantastic rod and I want to get it built right.

2. mike garrahan

mike garrahan TheSabreGuy

Name:
    mike garrahan
    Boat:
    23 ft. crestliner
    The Batson catalog lists them as Part# XTCHXNZG. They are the heavy SS316 stainless steel HXN guides for 50lb to 80lb builds. The TC is the frame color and the Z is the ring type which is zirconium. I have used the XBHXNLG which are very similar except that the frame color is black and the rings are the standard Aluminum oxide. They are very good guides.

5-20 likes this.
  3. swami 805

swami 805 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    sunk it
    I wouldn't put a trigger on it, the way you grip a heavy rod is much different,it would just be in the way.

4. InDeepShip

InDeepShip Ah ship

Name:
    Adam
    Boat:
    In my Dream's
    I would definitely add a hook keeper ive seen people use a fly fishing rod guide as one before

5. 5-20

5-20 Poseidon Group's Back Up Trident Thrower

Name:
    5-20
    Boat:
    L2 Fish
    Thanks, did a direct search for the part number and it came up.

For the hook keeper, Alps lists several sizes for the ForeCast regular hook keeper. Would the large sized one be the best choice?

InDeepShip likes this.
  6. CRD4Liberty

CRD4Liberty Newbie

Name:
    Spencer Phipps
    Boat:
    Aly Girl
    Hook keeper size is tied to the size hooks you use. If you couldn't have found to exact Edge guide it wouldn't have surprised me, they buy enough guides to sec their own guides if they wanted to. Pac Bay used to make a guide for me when I was more involved in production rod building.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019