Alps Guide Corrosion?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Building Forum' started by thx4fish, Feb 12, 2017.

1. thx4fish

thx4fish Newbie

Name:
    Allan
    Boat:
    W 650
    A friend tells me that he has experienced corrosion on his Alps guides and that it gets under the flex coat (?). He also has had to replace 3 that broke at the eye, therefore he only uses Fuji now. I was looking at getting the XBXNLG, but now am having second thoughts.

Wondering if anyone has had similar experiences or if it was an earlier problem that has since been corrected?

Thx In Advance, Allan

2. tugasangler

tugasangler Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    James
    Boat:
    Yankee Capts
    I do notice that phenix uses alps everything f but guides on their hybrid rods .

thx4fish likes this.
  3. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    None so far on my rods and I generally am pretty rough with my stuff.

thx4fish likes this.
  4. Capt Richie

Capt Richie Atlantic Custom Tackle

Name:
    Richie
    Boat:
    32 albe
    rust under the epoxy tend to be more do to poor epoxy work than the guide...I dont use Batson guides do to past bad experiences .. But rust under epoxy is more than just the guide..

thx4fish, tugasangler and cmepen like this.
  5. JTrelikes

JTrelikes I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jim Trelikes
    Boat:
    Bubba Jean 28
    I use Alps guides regularly, as well as take in repair work both directly and from my local tackle shop. I just don't see these problems described above. And if there was a problem with Alps guides, I would be seeing it coming through my workshop both on rods I've built, or factory rods that use Batson products. Simply not the case.

thx4fish likes this.
  6. thx4fish

thx4fish Newbie

Name:
    Allan
    Boat:
    W 650
    Thanks for your insights and input. It was after purchasing the guides yesterday that I was informed of my friend's problems so I came here to allay my fears Will post pix after the build

7. Bill Batson

Bill Batson Bill Batson Advertiser

Name:
    Bill Batson
    Boat:
    Bayrunner, Leiana Rae
    Corrosion/discoloring under flex coat i cannot stop.. That is just salt water sitting there. These are Stainless Steel 316 guides not Titanium.. the corrosion test on SS 316 is over 2000 hrs with no sign of rust. this was done in an independent laboratory. If you don't want to see this use the Black Guides..Most of what you see will be on the Polished frame.
    If anyone EVER has a problem with an ALPS guide please let me know..I will back my product and take care of it..
    We have come along way in the past 10 years with the ALPS product line..I have almost every MFG and Quality Custom Rod builder using them, for a reason..
    Fuji makes a great product...I would put the ALPS up against them any day...
    Plus we stock a lot of products and you will get every size you need..LOL

My father said believe nothing of what you hear and half of what you see..
    Be careful as some say they use ALPS but don't..They are all stamped ALPS..

Check out the Whole Batson line.. we carry over 8000 different rod building parts and are the Largest Wholesale supplier in the USA for a reason..

Thank you for alll of your support..
    Bill Batson
    CEO/Fisherman/Rod Builder
    Batson Enterprises
    Rainshadow/Forecast/NFC/ALPS product lines
    www.batsonenterprises.com
    877-875-2381..

thx4fish, SALTYDAWG, makairaa and 2 others like this.
  8. Bill Batson

Name:
    Bill Batson
    Boat:
    Bayrunner, Leiana Rae
    Also please make sure you use the Correct size gauge frame ALPS guide for its intended propose.. We have 4 different frame sizes..LXN, MXN, XN, HXN..
    Thank you..
    Fish ON

9. Baller

Baller Jig Chucker

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    American Angler
    I have many custom rods that use the Alps guides almost exclusively now and they all still look beautiful. If there was any doubts the above comments should put you at ease. Thank you for making such great products Batson..!!!

10. thx4fish

thx4fish Newbie

Name:
    Allan
    Boat:
    W 650
    Thank you Mr. Batson for your dedication and passion for designing, producing, and distributing such a wonderful line of innovative and cutting edge equipment.

It was never an attempt to defame or slander your products, and it's evident that it was a flex coat issue that caused the problems for my friend

11. Capt Richie

Name:
    Richie
    Boat:
    32 albe
    once you get finish on the guide frame , over time it will peel back & let salt water under the finish.Thats it your done rust on the guide foot ,,Or the finish& threads will turn black,,

Thats one reason so many builders & production shops use black thread on their guide wraps.. Most of the problems your having comes down to the builder..What & how he/she using & skill level..But not all..

316 SS is a standard & should not matter who using it..

12. Bill Batson

Name:
    Bill Batson
    Boat:
    Bayrunner, Leiana Rae
    Clarification: 316 is not a standard material for Guides. Batson Ent was the first to use the material in construction of guide frames. The standard before that was SS304, whichIi am pretty sure Fuji still uses. Since Batson first brought the SS316 to market others have followed. We use ONLY SS316 on the ALPS guide product lines and the SS304 on the Standard Batson Forecast guides.

13. skrilla

skrilla allirks

Name:
    Len
    Boat:
    plastic fantastic
    Steel + saltwater + neglect = earlier corrosion.

I had a rod with Alps MXN guides show signs of surface rust. Reason... it was a beater rod I used and abused on my kayak. Never freshwater rinsed. Never towel dried. Never treated with Corrosion X or other rust preventative products. Guess what... my other rods on the kayak with Fuji and Pac Bay guides showed corrosion as well. Same use and abuse treatment. But also never did have a guide buckle or fail because of the corrosion.

That said... even with poor epoxy jobs or epoxy failure, some preventative maintenance goes a long way. Freshwater rinse, towel dry, and even some lube will help keep corrosion issues away. My other nicer rods may show scuffs and scrapes but still little to no corrosion to be seen. YMMV.

cmepen likes this.
  14. Capt Richie

Name:
    Richie
    Boat:
    32 albe
    316 SS is a standard Not standard for guides just a standard learn to read

15. Capt Richie

Name:
    Richie
    Boat:
    32 albe

yup once saltwater gets into it its done...But rust just under the wraps is a failure in the wrapping & finish ...I'm not a big cleaner of fishing rods,,,just a quick soap & rinse no problems with rust ..