jfirey2001

Agent
Jul 13, 2005
San Clemente
Name
Jon
Boat
Old
It has been several years since I've built any rods, but I have several blanks that have been sitting and it is time to start up again.

I have searched the forums quite a bit but haven't been able to find specific info I am looking for regarding Alps XN series guides and CAH-M reel seats, I figure most on here are probably pretty familiar with these and should be able to help. Unfortunately none of the local shops around me stock these items, or didn't have the size reel seats I was looking for on hand - I tried stopping by a few. Other than photos on here and some of the builders forums, I have very little first hand experience with the Alps components - but want to give them a try.

Guides - I was about to order 5 or 6 rods worth of various XN series guides, MXN, XN (most), one set of HXN. However, I stopped by Longfin yesterday to grab yet another blank and hoped to check out the CAH-M reel seats and they had the new Okuma PCH rods in stock - I read the PCH Heavy rods have HXN guides on them - which it looks like the larges is a 20, but they did not seem as heavy as I expected. I have a GF850H and GF850M I will be building and was planning on using the XN guides on them (primarily fishing 40lb and 50lb respectively) - but after seeing the PCH rods I am pausing a bit - I plan on running 25 down to 10's on both rods (I tend to like a slightly larger guide than I am sure many on here do) - but now I am concerned. Before investing $200+ in guides I would really like your input on which series is most appropriate. I was also planning on using MXN's on a GF800L (25lb) and regular XN on GF700ML (30lb) - which I am slightly more confident in, but willing to bump up.

CAH-M reel seats - I am not a big fan of cork tape and I am building these rods for me, so reel placement flexibility shouldn't be an issue. For rods I plan to fish 40lb+ I typically use the Fuji DPSH seats. I was hoping to see how the Alps compared size/weight wise (I am sure there is quite a bit more weight) but was hoping they may actually be a lower profile. Most of the rods I have seen in person with the Alps seats are UC or Phoenix blanks and the butt diameters don't compare to those of the GF blanks, so I don't have much to go off of. I am afraid if I put an Alps seat on these longer rods (larger diameter butt) it will look/feel like it is should be on a trolling rod not a jig/bait rod - the Fuji seats are already bulkier than I would prefer, but have worked out fine on the rods I already have them on.

Thank you in advance for any input on these components. If you have links to other threads you think might be helpful that is appreciated - I just wasn't able to find specifically what I was looking for in my searches.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

kuyamonster

I only wishes to catch some fishes...
May 14, 2009
San Diego/Tacoma USA
Name
Marcel
Boat
Limited load cattle car
Hey Jon...I live in WA. currently but SD is still considered home. Alps MXN and XN guides and the CAH-M seats are all solid components. You didn't specify but both the stainless and titanium guides are quality built. You should hit up BD member James (batson-brands) or check the Batson Enterprises website. (Great company based here in Washington) He posts here every now and then on these forums. He'll be able to answer all your rod building questions for your Calstar GF blanks. Some of the rods I have now utilize the centra-lock seats and have minimal weight difference. I'm also a fan of Fuji DPS graphite on jigsticks but I get what you are saying. Their reel seat hoods are a bit bulky, aesthetically. If you PM me your cell phone # here I can send you a couple pics of an Alps reel seat on a rod blank that is .780 in diameter...

Reactions: jfirey2001
Upvote 0

jfirey2001

Agent
Jul 13, 2005
San Clemente
Name
Jon
Boat
Old
Hey Jon...I live in WA. currently but SD is still considered home. Alps MXN and XN guides and the CAH-M seats are all solid components. You didn't specify but both the stainless and titanium guides are quality built. You should hit up BD member James (batson-brands) or check the Batson Enterprises website. (Great company based here in Washington) He posts here every now and then on these forums. He'll be able to answer all your rod building questions for your Calstar GF blanks. Some of the rods I have now utilize the centra-lock seats and have minimal weight difference. I'm also a fan of Fuji DPS graphite on jigsticks but I get what you are saying. Their reel seat hoods are a bit bulky, aesthetically. If you PM me your cell phone # here I can send you a couple pics of an Alps reel seat on a rod blank that is .780 in diameter...

Thank you Marcel - PM sent.

I was looking for the larger seats, 23, 24 or 26 on similar type rods, or input from anyone with experience with these size seats on bait rods. Also, hoping for some input regarding the XN vs HXN guides for the 850's I am about to start on.

Thank you for your response.

Upvote 0

SouthBayKiller

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 27, 2003
Formerly Long Beach, now Fort Lauderdale area
Name
Robert
Boat
none
Thank you Marcel - PM sent.

I was looking for the larger seats, 23, 24 or 26 on similar type rods, or input from anyone with experience with these size seats on bait rods. Also, hoping for some input regarding the XN vs HXN guides for the 850's I am about to start on.

Thank you for your response.
Regular XNs will be fine. The HXN are probably best used for 60lb and up.

Upvote 0

Gabe L.

Passenger
Jun 26, 2012
San Diego
Name
Gabe
Boat
Long range
I was just at Island Tackle in Carson,they have all Alps guides in sets for super low prices and the guys are super cool.Worth the drive if you are loading up. I got a set for my 800XLH for 20$,killer price!!!!!

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2017
Arcadia,Ca.
Name
Michael Convey
Boat
no boat
I was just at Island Tackle in Carson,they have all Alps guides in sets for super low prices and the guys are super cool.Worth the drive if you are loading up. I got a set for my 800XLH for 20$,killer price!!!!!
i was over there last month and they have a really nice supply of rod building parts good prices if you want to browse blanks they have a good supply of name brand blanks in all the sizes they,re adding more stuff all the time

Upvote 0