Aloha from Afghanistan

Discussion in 'Hawaii Fishing Reports' started by mortarsarehung, Feb 18, 2012.

1. mortarsarehung

mortarsarehung Newbie

Name:
    Eric
    Boat:
    The Dude
    Hey guys, just wanted to say whats up. Just bought a Seaswirl Striper 1850 WA and as soon as I get back to Schofield from Afghanistan and install the new trim tabs, radio, chartplotter, etc (hahaha see ya deployment pay!), I'll be out and about hittin up the FAD's and ledges. I'm used to So Cal style offshore fishing, used to deck on the sportboats, but joined the Army. Stoked to see how different the game is in the islands. She doesn't have a name yet, but I'll be working on it.

Tight lines, hope to have some reports for you all soon!

Eric

Attached Files:

2. BAJA.DESERT.RAT

BAJA.DESERT.RAT Member

Name:
    DA RAT
    Boat:
    NONE
    Aloha <!-- google_ad_section_start(weight=ignore) -->mortarsarehung<!-- google_ad_section_end -->,

get back safe and sound !

thank you very much to you and your fellow soldiers for taking care of us.

NICE BOAT ! maybe i need to join up to get monies for such a nice machine.

nope, too old !

my grandson just went to hawaii in the navy and will serve on a nuclear submarine.

i hope you knock the crap out of the fish when you get back and have a great time.

THANK YOU AGAIN !

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

3. Peskadot

Peskadot Newbie

Name:
    Peter
    Boat:
    19.5, Bayliner, Na'alani
    I see u got Jim's boat. Congradulations on a good deal. Are u going make em for trolling? Hit me up when u get back and I will get u in the gate at hickam

4. mortarsarehung

mortarsarehung Newbie

Name:
    Eric
    Boat:
    The Dude
    Hahaha it is a small island! You must be the SSG Jim was telling me about?
    Yes, until I learn how to make bait, it's gunna be mostly a troll boat. Might throw some iron too like we do in Cali. Jim was really awesome to buy from, I really think it was an incredible deal. I really appreciate him helping me out.

5. mortarsarehung

mortarsarehung Newbie

Name:
    Eric
    Boat:
    The Dude
    Thanks brother, via con Dios amigo! Hope you're slayin em in Baja!

6. je77yfi5h

je77yfi5h Newbie

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    Searching for a JetSki or Boat
    Nice catch on the Boat, I was eying it myself. BTW we are in the same unit.. I'm looking for some fishing partners when I get back.
    I''m plannig to charter a six pack when we get back. If your interested let me know.

7. J_B

J_B Captain

Name:
    JB
    Boat:
    21' Lightnin' Whaler "Moana B."
    Thank you for all you do to protect our country! Be safe and congrat's on the nice boat. Mahalo from the Britt family (Ohana) for protecting our freedom.

8. tsutomu

tsutomu Newbie

Name:
    garrett
    Boat:
    Anne's Revenge
    Nice boat. See you on the water!

9. grander007

grander007 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    zzzz
    Boat:
    46, Bertram, Deep Blue
    nice boat & thank you for your service to the people of our great country!

tight lines,

10. wisebob

wisebob Newbie

Name:
    bob
    Boat:
    smallsize kine
    Nice and clean looking boat. Congrats and welcome home.

If you are going to do mostly trolling and decide you will be keeping the boat in the long run after taking it out, I can recommend your first major upgrade. As unleaded gas is hitting over $4.05+/gallon now, the best change to that boat would be replacing the 2-stroke motor to a 4-stroke motor. You will be saving a *lot* of gas each time you go out.

The downside is that a 4-stroke costs more than your hull is worth so you will really have to love that boat to do it...

bob

11. nodrama

nodrama Newbie

Name:
    Ryan
    Congrats on a nice boat and thanks again for what you do so we can sleep good at night and still go fishing!

12. mudman

mudman mudman

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    24' TOLLY-CHUM BUCKET
    nice boat and thanks for being part of the team that keeps us all safe

13. Hauoli Lawaia

Hauoli Lawaia Newbie

Name:
    Ioane Malia
    Boat:
    DaHauoliLawaia
    Aloha!
    Mahalo for all you do to protect our country!
    Stay Safe out there..We hope to invite you to our barbecue & kanakapila
    when you get back home here local style out on the Westside...God Bless You brother & God Bless the U.S.A.

14. reelchief

reelchief Newbie

Name:
    brian
    Boat:
    20 ft. sea sport WA
    I'm also over in Afghanistan and have a 20ft walk around I keep on hickam. Hopefully when we get back the fish will still be around. some good people to talk to when you get back are the guys down an POP's on pier 38. Atleast thats what is was before we deployed. and wisebob is correct about the cost of pulling lures. I'm taking some of this fine money we are getting for being over here and buying a new 4stroke. more reliable, quiter and better on gas.

15. wisebob

wisebob Newbie

Name:
    bob
    Boat:
    smallsize kine
    Reelchief,

Thanks for acknowledging my 4-stroke advice. Another user sent me a PM after I posted my message that I am better off just keeping my opinions to myself and offer congrats like everyone else. Calling me "lolo". What? You like a guy who maybe hasn't fished Hawaii to come back to burn his pocketbook away with a 2-stroke?

I wrote back give me a break. If all we are going to do on this forum is congrats everyone without being honest or give advice, what's the point?

Dang, regular unleaded is hitting $4.15+/gallon now I see... Easy $50 one way trip to try to reach a close FAD on a 2-stroke? If the boat turns out to be a keeper, get a 4-stroke.

bob

16. jagerhunchback

jagerhunchback MCLMM

sometimes oahu.....mostly iraq occasionally afghan
    Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    25 ft powercat "Crazy Haole"
    congrats on the new sled, i grew up fishing socal and learned a hard lesson when i got to the islands thinking i could chase down a fish and rocked a 4/0 and got spooled by a 600 lb marlin, make sure you have heavy enough rods/reels!!

17. mortarsarehung

mortarsarehung Newbie

Name:
    Eric
    Boat:
    The Dude
    Thanks everyone for the congrats, appreciation and advice. Definitely won't be using a 4/0, thats for sure lol and as far as 2 vs 4 stroke goes, as much as i'd love to repower with a new four stroke, im already in deep on a new truck and the boat, so it's not gunna be an option for a while. If I were going to keep the boat i'd definitely do it, but I think in a few years I might start looking for at least a 21' WA. We'll see though. For now I'm excited as hell about coming home to a new sled and just getting out and dragging some skirts!
    Also glad to see a couple brothers in arms here. Any Wolfhounds?
    My wife just got us a place in Ewa, so I'm thinking of launching outta Hickam. I'd love to launch outta the Phoenician ramp, but it sounds like it's not suited for solo launching. Anyone launch outta there?
    Thanks again for all the support, you guys make our jobs completely worth it!
    Eric

18. JROLAND

JROLAND "Wings of Lightning"

Name:
    JOE ROLAND
    Boat:
    "007" Pursuit 2870 Offshore
    Eric,
    Concrats on the boat and getting yourself back home. 4 strokes would be the way to go but you would have to run the boat a loooong time to come close to recouping the investment. Nice thing about fishing the islands is you dont need to run hard like the Kingfish Tourney guys. Get the right prop and trim setup and it will save some dollars right off the bat. There are a few places to launch down in your area once you get back you'll be able to figure out which one works best for you. Can't go wrong with PoP or Roys for tackle advise. I do the standup with Tiagra and Penn 50Ws with braid and mono for capacity. The guys on this site are great with thier insight and advise. I hope to be back from the STAN and fishing off the Northside next January. Welcome back and job well done.
    V/r Joe

19. hawaiian hammer

hawaiian hammer Googan

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    24' Thunderbird
    Eric,
    Get your soldier friends to go with you and pitch in for the gas, then it won't be so bad with the 2 stroke. And when your reel start screaming, and you and your crew bring the fish on board, they're going to be so happy when they eat the fish, they'll forget about the gas money.:rofl:
    Aloha

20. untensan

untensan Newbie

Name:
    Terry
    Boat:
    21' Seacat CC
    Regarding the 2 vs 4 stroke, I remember "small kid time" going fishing with my father. I'd get sea sick everytime the wind would blow the exhaust from the 2 stroke. It got so bad I'd throw up just smelling the mixture when my father was putting in the oil. Back then, the attitude was, if you like go fishing, get used to it. Being hard headed, I did out grow it, but, it can't be healthy to inhale the gas/oil exhaust. I guess its not healthy inhaling the gas exhaust either...