gofishtails

gofishtails
Jun 1, 2007
Long Beach, Ca.
Name
Capt. Al
Boat
22 ft. CC
So I was on a 2-1/2 day trip over the weekend to the Cortez Bank and hooked a nice fork tail but a minute into the fight, the braid on my Avet MXL starts to tear off of the reel. At first I thought it was the drag that failed and had to thumb the fish in but come to find out (after tearing down the reel), it was the braid turning on the spool. Does anyone know how to get the braid to grip to the spool or do I need to start with mono and top shot with braid? Thanks for any input.

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
So I was on a 2-1/2 day trip over the weekend to the Cortez Bank and hooked a nice fork tail but a minute into the fight, the braid on my Avet MXL starts to tear off of the reel. At first I thought it was the drag that failed and had to thumb the fish in but come to find out (after tearing down the reel), it was the braid turning on the spool. Does anyone know how to get the braid to grip to the spool or do I need to start with mono and top shot with braid? Thanks for any input.
put some finger tape on the spool

Upvote 0

OnoEric

Sometimes I fish
  • Dec 13, 2003
    San Marcos
    Name
    Eric
    Boat
    Grady White 208
    Any of the above methods will work including a few wraps of a mono backing.

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
    Oct 18, 2012
    San Diego
    Name
    Tanner
    Boat
    1997 Proline 23 W/A
    There are also certain knots that won't give. That way you don't have electrical tape trapping saltwater against the metal spool. Search this topic, it has been discusses many times.

Reactions: diabolicaldog
    Upvote 0

jim isbell

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jun 25, 2015
    Anaheim, CA
    Name
    Jim Isbell
    Boat
    19' Campion/115 4 stroke Yamaha
    I'm glad you wrote this, I still have people dispute it happens--as you know, it does

Upvote 0

Seanvdp5

Mar 30, 2015
    Name
    Lalas5
    Boat
    None
    I use a good layer of plumbing tape on my spools. It has no adhesive to it and it blocks water out from spool. It works great never had any problems wit it slipping or leaving adhesion or corrison on spool. It's cheap and easy to find at any hardware or plumbing store

Upvote 0

Access

Fisherman
    Sep 3, 2014
    South Bay
    Name
    Lam
    Boat
    SeaVee 370Z (One day)

What you can do in the future is wrap an electrical tape around your spool and then wrap your main line around the spool 2-3 loops before closing it. It works for me. I will try to post some pictures tonight for ya.

Upvote 0

45king

Jig slinger/arrow flinger
    May 29, 2005
    Sd/Oc
    Name
    danny
    Boat
    Hall pass
    I use to do the tape bit until I found my spools getting corroded from the tape absorbing the salt water and it just sits there. You can run all the water you want to the spool but I still don't think it helps.
    All I do now is leave an inch tab after tying my knot to the spool. Cinch down tight and start wrapping your line over that 1" tag that I lay across my spool. This has NEVER failed on me. Good luck

Upvote 0

Access

Fisherman
    Sep 3, 2014
    South Bay
    Name
    Lam
    Boat
    SeaVee 370Z (One day)
    I use to do the tape bit until I found my spools getting corroded from the tape absorbing the salt water and it just sits there. You can run all the water you want to the spool but I still don't think it helps.
    All I do now is leave an inch tab after tying my knot to the spool. Cinch down tight and start wrapping your line over that 1" tag that I lay across my spool. This has NEVER failed on me. Good luck

Some tapes do absorb water but I electrical tapes don't.

Upvote 0

45king

Jig slinger/arrow flinger
    May 29, 2005
    Sd/Oc
    Name
    danny
    Boat
    Hall pass
    Some tapes do absorb water but I electrical tapes don't.

Electric tape does not absorb but be carefull Lam cause electric tape does not breath also. Salt water can work its way thru anything.

Upvote 0

Access

Fisherman
    Sep 3, 2014
    South Bay
    Name
    Lam
    Boat
    SeaVee 370Z (One day)
    Electric tape does not absorb but be carefull Lam cause electric tape does not breath also. Salt water can work its way thru anything.

Oh okay. Got it. Would be good to check it once in a while or replace it.

Upvote 0

Cubeye

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jan 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Kub
    Boat
    17' Gregor
    I use a good layer of plumbing tape on my spools. It has no adhesive to it and it blocks water out from spool. It works great never had any problems wit it slipping or leaving adhesion or corrison on spool. It's cheap and easy to find at any hardware or plumbing store

What is plumbing tape?

Upvote 0

tuner

pysgotwyr
  • May 24, 2006
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    260 Mackinaw
    I always just use a uni knot and and i've never had the problem. The uni will pull tighter with tension and not want to slip.

X2

I leave a long tag from the uni and lay it parallel to the spool, then wrap tight over the tag with the main line. In 8 years of spooling braid this way I have never had it slip.

Upvote 0

jim isbell

Jun 25, 2015
    Anaheim, CA
    Name
    Jim Isbell
    Boat
    19' Campion/115 4 stroke Yamaha
    I see my new Penn Fathom comes out of the box with some kind of soft material in small sections on the spool--the line bites into that and does the same thing as tape.

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
    Oct 18, 2012
    San Diego
    Name
    Tanner
    Boat
    1997 Proline 23 W/A
    2 wraps of flex wrap will allow the spectra to bite. Also 10' of mono tied onto the spool and then spliced to the spectra will do the same. I prefer the flex wrap. The tape won't trap anymore saltwater than the layer of spectra will on its own.
    Never thought of it that way, good point.

Upvote 0

Normslanding

Oct 13, 2010
    Palmetto, Fl., USA
    Name
    Dave Spangler
    Boat
    Blue Heaven
    If you use tape be sure it is not something like masking tape, etc., something that will not make a mess of your spool. I have used Scotch tape for a long time with better results. A lot of the new reels have some feature to help with line attachment. I like the knerrling on the Andros reels it seems to do a better job than other methods.

Upvote 0