ALL spectra rigs... What are your thoughts?

writebrian

... and I'm 6'5"
Jan 16, 2007
Arizona
Name
Brian
Boat
Whoever is Hot that week
I have always fished spectra and 70-100 yard mono topshots in whatever class I needed. This year I am switching to ALL 50# or 65# spectra and short 5-10 feet topshot of flouro, no mono (kelp cutter style). In this way line class doesn't matter. I can grab any setup and know it has 50# ready to go. My reels consist of Avet MXL, a couple JX6/3's and Pro Gear CS500 and CS625.

What do you guys think of that plan? Anything I may be missing in trying this?

Upvote 0

DITCH CLEANER

Oct 22, 2006
riverside ca
Name
steve
Boat
party
The problem will be the people that get tangled with you and the deckies will problably cut the spectra instead of letting it cut them as they deal with the newbies tangles

Upvote 0

divegod1

AKA "unidentified angler"
Jan 24, 2007
HOT!
Name
Michael
Boat
next one i'm on...
If you have no weak link (topshot) and you get hungup on something it might get expensive. I use at least 3-5'

Upvote 0

coryellk

Fly Navy
Mar 7, 2006
Fallbrook, CA
Name
Kevin
Boat
When Wife makes more $...
The problem will be the people that get tangled with you and the deckies will problably cut the spectra instead of letting it cut them as they deal with the newbies tangles

Spectra costs more and deckhands don't cut it before they cut mono. Spectra is the standard now, especially on longer range trips. If the minority of passengers have a problem with your rig, they should have put their reel in control freespool.

I have been running all of my reels, except light iron rigs, with short fluoro shockleaders for years. I think your plan is right on the money.

Upvote 0

Trayscool

Captain
Sep 26, 2008
Long Beach
www.skipjackmafia.com
Name
Travis
Boat
NO BOATS
remember that you have no stretch in your setup. sucks when your drag isnt set just right and you get slammed and broke off. I fished spectra to topshot last season this year im gong with spectra to mono unless fishing in the kelp

Upvote 0

wxdunn

Oct 11, 2009
Mobile, AL
www.thefishingweatherman.com
Name
Chris
Boat
none
Never fished Spectra before...just the old school straight mono...and recently switched to fluoro leaders. Then again, I've only fished 3 times in the past ten years with my most active time on the water in the mid-late 80s. However, having said all that, I caught a LOT of fish my last trip (Sept 2008). Bottom line is fish with what you know works for you, works to catch fish and what you are most comfortable with.

Upvote 0

One_Leg

Ret. Comm. Diver Medic
May 11, 2007
You're mined!
www.csicop.org
Name
Alan
Boat
1967 Cobia Cuddy Cabin/Evinrude Looper
I use 30 lb. Izor to fish topwater for stripers at our local reservoirs....no leader. In saltwater I use different length leaders of flouro and/or mono depending on a couple of factors....oh shit, I forgot what they were.

Upvote 0

writebrian

... and I'm 6'5"
Jan 16, 2007
Arizona
Name
Brian
Boat
Whoever is Hot that week
forgot about the stretch. Will 15-20' of flouro help. Flouro stretches some doesn't it?

Upvote 0

One_Leg

Ret. Comm. Diver Medic
May 11, 2007
You're mined!
www.csicop.org
Name
Alan
Boat
forgot about the stretch. Will 15-20' of flouro help. Flouro stretches some doesn't it?

Yeah it will help by providing a little extra cushion. I use 60 lb hollow JB on the salt. Loop to Loop to make line changes quick and easy. Splice in solid to reduce drag and hollow at the end for splicing terminal connections.

Upvote 0

qchau

Jun 16, 2006
Orange County
Name
Quan Chau
Boat
14 foot lonestar
I tried straight spectra to fluoro too and it was hell. I think its fine when you fish on your own boat or 6 packs but with a boat full of people its nothing but trouble. You have to remember that mono and spectra have different properties and sink at separate levels, even if you are following your line the spectra isn't at the same depth as the mono and inevitably you will get tangled. When this happens its just a bitch. I now go with about 60-80 feet of mono to short topshot.

Upvote 0

Infamous

Jun 15, 2009
anaheim/ca/usa
Name
Rod
Boat
25' Maycraft, INFAMOUS
Thats how I fish all my rigs and I love it, yellows, tuna, seabass, dorado, whatever, you get some amazing head shakes fishing this way.

Upvote 0

Crackerjack

Mighty Shellback
Dec 11, 2004
Seward, AK / Kailua Kona, HI
www.Graylightalaska.com
Name
Andy Mezirow
Boat
Gray Light ( Alaska) / First Light ( Kona)
I converted all the rods on my boat to the arrangment you are considering. It actually makes it much easier to deal with tangles if everyone has a short top shot. The tangles are mostly spectra on spectra. I use White, Yellow and Gray Spectra to that I can see the contrasting colors in the tangles. It makes getting them out quick and they seldom cut each other off like mono vs spectra...

Upvote 0

wahoodad

Yaddah X3
Apr 27, 2003
US/Mexico
Name
Choate
Boat
Islander

Problem with this style is your connection. If you don't serve or crimp, you will have a knot that will not cast well through the guides.
So stay real short 4-5 feet so the knot doesn't go through the guides when casting, or fish 10-15 feet as I do, learn to crimp or serve.

Now, does it matter 10-15 feet versus 4-5 feet? I think the difference in stretch at those two different lengths is negligible.

There was a comment about pay attention or it could get expensive: Brian, I have seen you fish, you will do fine.
But even the best of us get fooled now and again. Our sardine sees a tuna or wahoo, and decides being in the boat wasn't really that bad, and high tails it for the rudders and props.
This means you are now fishing for brass bass (propellors), and if you aren't careful, you will be tangled in them.
And when this is in the act of happening, you will swear your sardine is swimming great: It is. It has just made a big loop in the line, and will embarass you, and perhaps cost you some spectra and your topshot.
Also, be cautious doing the "long soak". This can be hazardous to your spectra too.

Upvote 0

Swarthy Dago

Coredor de las olas
Aug 20, 2008
USA
Name
My name is Nobody
Boat
n/a
I say go for it !

Upvote 0

mcrae

More wishing than fishing
Sep 30, 2007
Central California
Name
McRae
Boat
none
I fish long soaks on crowded boats. Both on the east and west coast. Tangles happen,no matter what you do, prepare to spend time, untangling or money, cutting. I'm going to bring rigs with long topshots and shorttops on my next trip and fish them depending upon the current conditions.

Upvote 0

One_Leg

Ret. Comm. Diver Medic
May 11, 2007
You're mined!
www.csicop.org
Name
Alan
Boat
I know that some people do not like the extra drag that hollow braid creates but you can slice out damaged sections eliminating the need for any knots and leader changes are a snap with pre-rigged loop to loop connections.

Do any of you have any good reasons to avoid this method of connecting terminal tackle?

Upvote 0

wahoodad

Yaddah X3
Apr 27, 2003
US/Mexico
Name
Choate
Boat
Islander
I fish long soaks on crowded boats. Both on the east and west coast. Tangles happen,no matter what you do, prepare to spend time, untangling or money, cutting. I'm going to bring rigs with long topshots and shorttops on my next trip and fish them depending upon the current conditions.

I fish long soaks too, but I don't get in tangles very often.

But if I give all the secrets away, who is going to buy my book? :D

Upvote 0

writebrian

... and I'm 6'5"
Jan 16, 2007
Arizona
Name
Brian
Boat
Whoever is Hot that week
But even the best of us get fooled now and again. Our sardine sees a tuna or wahoo, and decides being in the boat wasn't really that bad, and high tails it for the rudders and props.
This means you are now fishing for brass bass (propellors), and if you aren't careful, you will be tangled in them.
And when this is in the act of happening, you will swear your sardine is swimming great: It is. It has just made a big loop in the line, and will embarass you, and perhaps cost you some spectra and your topshot.
Also, be cautious doing the "long soak". This can be hazardous to your spectra too.

Dave,
Why would this be any different then with mono? If he unknowingly heads for the prop with braid or mono you are hosed. Is it somehow less detectable with all braid?

Also, you serious about the book. Brandon's book is the PERFECT gift for my newly converted fishing friends but I learned virtually nothing new from it. Will your book be more suited for experienced anglers? Come on, get some hype going right now!

Upvote 0

BowBoy

"SSSSHHHH its a secret"
Mar 28, 2006
Far away place
Name
Laslo
Boat
Tin can
I tried straight spectra to fluoro too and it was hell. I think its fine when you fish on your own boat or 6 packs but with a boat full of people its nothing but trouble. You have to remember that mono and spectra have different properties and sink at separate levels, even if you are following your line the spectra isn't at the same depth as the mono and inevitably you will get tangled. When this happens its just a bitch. I now go with about 60-80 feet of mono to short topshot.

simple solution, stay away from the stern crowd, fish the bow!!! just as productive, less people to deal with. less people, less chance of tangle. you'll usually find good anglers running up to the bow with a bait, even on the slide. just gotta know which way the capt. sets up the drift.

damn!!! i might have let one out the bag....

Upvote 0

wahoodad

Yaddah X3
Apr 27, 2003
US/Mexico
Name
Choate
Boat
Islander
Dave,
Why would this be any different then with mono? If he unknowingly heads for the prop with braid or mono you are hosed. Is it somehow less detectable with all braid?

Well, losing 10-12 feet of mono when you have a long topshot? Not that big of deal.

Losing 10 feet of spectra when you are in the props, which includes your topshot, is a bigger deal.

Also, you serious about the book. Brandon's book is the PERFECT gift for my newly converted fishing friends but I learned virtually nothing new from it. Will your book be more suited for experienced anglers? Come on, get some hype going right now!

I'm not trying to educate the newer anglers, I'm trying to accent and improve the better more experienced anglers game.

We'll see, very early stages of it right now.

Upvote 0