Offshore All show and no go 6/27/2020

PENN
Jan 7, 2020
San Diego
Name
DTS
Boat
Boatless
Fished the New Lo Ann this weekend on a 1.5 day trip departing Friday the 26th. Got down to the landing at like 6:00 parking lot was a shit show. So I left my gear with a Familiar face and parked in the neighborhood up the street. We boarded the boat about 8:00 PM right on time and headed to the bait barge. Markus gave us the run down on his game plan. Plan was to try to find a school in the dark and drop jigs and sinker rigs he recommended we not fish anything below 80 pound. We stopped at the South Island and the guys netted about 12 flying fish. Around 3:30 Am we stopped on a big spot and proceeded to drop down no bitters. We kept on the hunt around 6 we stopped on another meter mark and again no bitters. We set back the trollers and started to look around around 9:00 am Marcus got a call from a buddy boat reporting good sign of those bigger bluefin. We ended up running out to investigate once we arrived to the zone we started seeing good signs of life small spots of fish up breaking around birds dolphins. At one point we found a breezer of bluefin that was at least 1/4 mile long. All very boat shy and every attempt would come up dry. We did manage a triple on the yellowfin trolling the dolphin. One came off. As the day went on the fish started to react to the chum very Briefly So every stop I really made sure to fish the slide it ended up paying off I managed to hook one fishing 40 pound and after a quick fight my first and only bluefin hit the deck cookie cutter maybe 35 pounds or so. We fished the kite with those flyers netted the night before We did have one good blow up fish actually took the flyer but alluded the hooks. There was actually a lot of good sticks on the boat who worked really well together. Like always the captain and crew worked there asses off it just wasn’t our day a few more yellowfin were taken on bait stops. We fished until 9:30 at night and just couldn’t make it happen.
What worked hot bait fished on the slide 40 pound I fished 60 and 80 on those bigger fish. If I were going back out tomorrow I would bring 20,30,40,50,60,80, 130 for flat fall. There was such a mixed grade of fish out there yesterday any where from 10 pound yellowfin to 250 pound bluefin. The fish we did catch were full of that little 1 inch fin bait. I think we ended up with 2 bluefin and 4 or 5 yellowfin. Not stellar fishing but good sign

Upvote 0

woodfish330

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    Great Intel brother. Marcus and the boys do ALL they can.... sometimes mother nature doesn't cooperate. At least you got some....maybe not allot but you weren't skunked either. Thanks for the post. Be safe out there.

Upvote 0

cwinnes

Apr 17, 2012
    Burbank
    Name
    Chris I
    Boat
    I wish
    Nice write up. Had a trip like that on Fathers Day that just wasn’t meant to be. We’ll whack em next time!

Upvote 0

pacificscout

Hey! You got any frozen ice?
  • Jul 28, 2012
    Fullerton
    Name
    Wally
    Boat
    16ft Scout EMBUSTERO
    You plan and pick time for a trip, if the fish are on ? That's another story.
    It's a numbers game.
    Glad you made it out and learned more fish info. 👍

Upvote 0

Pgnracr

Sep 3, 2014
    HB
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    Line up
    Marcus (and the crew) are incredible. He is the best at finding bait. Be it mackerel squid or flyers. The flyers are very tough to catch. Especially around the nados. With all the pressure. Catalina is easier. Glad you got one.

Reactions: rick rouland
    Upvote 0
    Jan 7, 2020
    San Diego
    Name
    DTS
    Boat
    Boatless
    Marcus (and the crew) are incredible. He is the best at finding bait. Be it mackerel squid or flyers. The flyers are very tough to catch. Especially around the nados. With all the pressure. Catalina is easier. Glad you got one.
    I agree NLA is my favorite sport boat for local trips like that one. Marcus is a fishy dude so is Adam Kirey cooked up some killer meals and keep plenty of cold bud lights ready to go. I guess you win some and loose some with only 5 fish Caught all day 2 in which we’re troll fish I was fortunate to be eating fresh tuna yesterday.

Upvote 0