ALL LONG RANGE FISHERMAN

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by spinner, Dec 11, 2017.

1. joetunaguy

joetunaguy Newbie

Name:
    Karl
    Boat:
    17',BW, kelpcutter
    Clairon I will miss .. and the inner islands . However hurricane bank for some reason rarely put out a 300 #er. Hopefully the boats will spend some time at mag bay vs running to Hurricane everytime. What if they could weight the fish ? and release.. maybe they will let the boats fish the areas again.. .. Because it's about the number. Goals. maybe not to others. Just saying.
    As Rodney used to say "one fish "

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
  2. swami 805

swami 805 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    sunk it
    Some charters I went on had the under 200 you let it go rule. Well a 190 looks almost the same as a 200. Deckies used three gaffs and tied them together to make a big Y. The goal was to see if it fit in the Y it's was too small. Was pretty funny every time that thing got near a tuna they'd go nuts. Needless to say it didn't work. They named it the tickler. Not real related to this but kinda

Bill W likes this.
  3. Al B.Fishing

Al B.Fishing Newbie

Name:
    gary
    Boat:
    n/a
    Hopefully areas will be opened up for catch and tag.When does one reach a point of Sport fishing and just killing for a measure of success. Releasing a big Tuna hopefully tagged is by far more rewarding than the TONS of fish traded in for cans. What a waste of resource just for egos

caveman and sonofahab like this.
  4. FishRock

FishRock I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    JAM
    Boat:
    Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
    Nothing wrong with harvesting a few fish. It is when the harvest exceeds productivity that things get messed up. I fish for both sport and food. Tuna actually have a fairly short reproductive cycle and high reproductive potential so they are more resilient than a lot of species.

The more data we have on a population the better it can be managed so tagging is a good idea.

5. Tom Honaker

Tom Honaker Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Tom Honaker
    Boat:
    Royal Star
    Sportfishing impact on fish populations, is the equivalent of native Americans impact on buffalo herds 200 years ago, negligible at best. It's a shame we as sport fisherman, in the eyes of many, are seen as people who have no consideration for fish populations. My opinion is different, Most true long range fishermen I know,and have fished with for almost 40 years, are very concerned about the future of long range fishing. I dont have a crystal ball, how this all ends up, may very well depend on us, as long range fishermen. Im hopeful, and understand that we are going through changes. My father used to say to me, constant change is here to stay! Hopefully, as before the industry adapts to this constant change, and adapts accordingly.

6. yft1979

yft1979 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Garrett
    Boat:
    -
    Talked to Aaron of the Shogun about this spot quite a few years ago. Said Ted Dunn used to commercial fish the spot in the past. Very soft bottom, nothing but skipjack ever caught.

stephen campbell likes this.
  7. wahoodad

wahoodad Yaddah X3

Name:
    Choate
    Boat:
    Excel
    I wonder what eats skipjack? Hmmm
    On the trip the 445 was caught, the bank was corroded with skipjack.

8. Let em eat 74

Let em eat 74 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Kevin
    Boat:
    Whichever1is leaving
    Well said Dave, so often we find what we seek by finding what they eat.

9. canyonman

canyonman Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    joe
    Boat:
    Independence
    Dave I was on the Indy when that fish was caught. The bank was loaded with skippies. I would think that if there are skipjack on that bank the tuna would be there too

stephen campbell and DesotoBound like this.