Scuba Chris

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • May 17, 2016
    Kapolei, HI
    Name
    Christopher Takahashi
    Boat
    Christina Ann
    This Reel Has a Non-Magnetic Cast Control! Casts Extremely Far! Being Field Tested in Hawaii:)

Okuma is preparing to release its newly renovated Alijos Conventional Reel next year. A few prototypes were sent to testers to see if anything was missed at the factory. I love this non-magnetic cast control! I've had mag reels before. The ramping of the magnets was ok on mag controlled reels to me over the years. So understanding a non-mag reel took a minute for me to absorb the mechanics involved.

I've used this unit in really bad weather. So since my hands were going to be wet all day i installed a Casting Trigger from John Truong of Boiling Tuna. Boy, my grip felt secured and i was able to center myself to really put some "oomph" into my casts! I was able to get a few small strikes but still looking for that "big boy" that'll stress the gearing to see how it'll fare on larger species.

More than testing & researching statistics every long cast i make i'm developing a trust with this unit. All hunters & anglers have to have trust in their equipment before tackling our intended prey. I'm in constant contact with the research developers on my progress. I still need to hook a substantial sized fish to deliberately put resistance on the internals. Right now weather is the issue. I got drenched making this review in the rain & wind & will be paying for it the rest of this week.

Reactions: FlatPack
    Upvote 0

Scuba Chris

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • May 17, 2016
    Kapolei, HI
    Name
    Christopher Takahashi
    Boat
    Christina Ann
    Hopefully they have fix the drag issues on the alijos already…
    This Alijos is nothing like the original. The cast control is non-magnetic & is based off the spool, not the main gearing. And it now has spur cut gearing, not helical but still uses TSI-301. Unbelievable casting distance as well. Still putting it through it's paces. Been out every morning before 5am using this reel. Even in bad weather when the Hurricane passed by South of us. Pumped couple hundred in gas alone testing it so far. All that aside testing is going well.

Upvote 0

FlatPack

Online Angler
    Sep 22, 2016
    City of Angels
    Name
    Rexor
    Boat
    "CATTLE BOAT"
    This Alijos is nothing like the original. The cast control is non-magnetic & is based off the spool, not the main gearing. And it now has spur cut gearing, not helical but still uses TSI-301. Unbelievable casting distance as well. Still putting it through it's paces. Been out every morning before 5am using this reel. Even in bad weather when the Hurricane passed by South of us. Pumped couple hundred in gas alone testing it so far. All that aside testing is going well.
    Sounds good…but wait a minute…did I heard it correctly you said it has “thrust bearing”?

I‘l grab one in a bit if it offers in Narrow version later on then.

Upvote 0