Unique06

May 1, 2011
Honolulu Hawaii
Name
Travis
Boat
Alii Kai 21'
Aloha Fellow BDer's
Picked up my Alii Kai late last year fished it till Jan and decided to shut her down to redo flooring and some other misc. I knew floor soft. Previous owner just threw a piece of plywood over the whole deck and glassed it then used house paint. So I figure I redo it. Plan is to open her up see if stringers R ok if not tear them out to. So it begins. Figure I post my build since I like to read about other peeps builds and its interesting things that we learn on how to DIY.
image.jpg

Here she is getting first look at how bad it is.

image.jpg

Gas tank finally out

image.jpg

And here she is the "can of worms"!! Rotten stringers,bulkheads and water in foam!! Oh well we must go on!!
image.jpg

Stringers and foam removed. Time to get da grind on!!
image.jpg

Built a covering over with PVC and tarp to keep dust in and rain out
image.jpg
New stringers cut and ready to be glassed
image.jpg

Stringers glassed. Flooring and bulkheads ready to be glassed. Plan to build a fishbox with twin above deck 20 gal tanks under seat to power F115 Yami!! Still quite a ways to go but hopefully outcome is awesome and in time for some Yellows!! Will update build as it progresses. Shootz. Aloha & Tight Lines!!

Last edited:

hiloboy

Okinawaiian Sencho
Feb 26, 2009
Okinawa Japan
Name
Donald
Boat
Yamaha 25 SR Flybridge
Brah, good luck on da rebuild! I can see it's gonna look sweet wen you pau!

OmanGT

Apr 11, 2010
Muscat
Name
Brian Richardson
Boat
Cape North 43 Sailboat
Check out kiwigrip for a really easy to apply and great quality non-skid surface for your deck. Just google it. Not sure if it's available in Hawaii but you can get it off the west coast. Will go straight on the glass deck.

johnnylite

Never too late to change.
Sep 19, 2006
Camarillo
Name
John
Boat
Triumph 210cc
Looks like a great project. It amazes me the skill you guys have.
In the end it will be just how you want it and no worries about the quality of work and
that it will last.

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
I give you plenty of credit Travis, a fairly monumental understaking. It looks like you have it nailed and will be wet in no time.

Cheers
Pat

Unique06

May 1, 2011
Honolulu Hawaii
Name
Travis
Boat
Alii Kai 21'
Aloha Fellow BDer's
Mahalo's for all the comments. Hopefully it's gonna come out like yours Justin!! Pat hopefully once it's on the water I can be slaying some fish like you!! So far this week no progress with kids sports and buddies takin me on their boats cuz we heard da fish was bitin!! I told them they killin me and holding up my build progress but das ok we on the water!! Hopefully will get floors underside glassed before laying on the deck then can start screwing it in and filling gaps in with some peanut butter. By the way anybody got some chairs for sale? I lookin for a pair chairs to go on. If you do LMK. Shootz. Aloha & Tight Lines!!

Unique06

May 1, 2011
Honolulu Hawaii
Name
Travis
Boat
Alii Kai 21'
Aloha BD'ers
Updated current build. Have not been getting progress that I would want but is all good. Got to build and glass fishbox, seat pedestals and took out windows to enclose. Everything is pretty much sealed just gotta do some minor sanding on da inside. Also sanded outside, removed old rail kit and got to body work yhe outside. Just trying to figure how I am gonna lift boat of trailer to sand and paint underneath. Other than that plan to put some primer on nex week and paint. But we will see sound easy but dam!! But is all good been blessed to go out on my friends boat during build so is all good!! Hope u guys enjoy. Tight Lines!! Aloha.
image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Gil Marlin

World Peace? Visualize Using Your Turn Indicator
Nov 27, 2003
Laguna Percebu Baja Norte
Name
Scott
Boat
19.655' Aluminum
I bet it was nice and cool grinding under that tarp. :D Your boat looks way better already, I like how you built the fish box. It doubles as a step up to your seating. Should be a sweet boat when you are done...

Hij

Aug 1, 2011
Mililani HI
Name
Jason Hijirida
Boat
25 Force, PAIGE H
Good job Travis! Looking good! Didn't know you were doing this to your boat? Thought you were catching all that fish my brother tells me about was on your boat.

Unique06

May 1, 2011
Honolulu Hawaii
Name
Travis
Boat
Alii Kai 21'
Good job Travis! Looking good! Didn't know you were doing this to your boat? Thought you were catching all that fish my brother tells me about was on your boat.

Thanks HiJ!! I have been blessed to go with some good friends like your brother and buddies on their boats while i am working on mines. I heard a lil birdie mention a 25!! You know anything about that!!

Hij

Aug 1, 2011
Mililani HI
Name
Jason Hijirida
Boat
25 Force, PAIGE H
Haha! Your boats looking good. I don't know how you know so much about rebuilding boats but looks like you could do it full time! Yup, pretty soon I will have a boat again. So sad I'm missing out on all this nice weather! Hope you got out and go into some action!

courtt79

Apr 23, 2011
Pearl City
Name
Court
Boat
17' Alii Kai
Nice job, I remember when I was going through those stages. As for the getting the boat off the trailer i made three wood supports taller then the trailer then jacked the boat up with car jack and some wood. Put boat down on stands then rolled trailer as far as can. Then rejacked boat up and repositioned stands.

Reactions: JimmyK

Kinaiahi61

Jan 17, 2012
Lihue, Hi
Name
Kalani
Boat
Kai Kea
How's it going. I might be at it again (grinding, glassing). Just found some cracks under the hull. Might as well make it how I want it now. Did you use foam panels for your fish box, 2 part foam, or just ply? Thinking of gutting the hull of all the things like you did and redoing it all one time. I did my livingston a couple of years ago and don't look forward to it, but needs to be fixed. Aloha

Unique06

May 1, 2011
Honolulu Hawaii
Name
Travis
Boat
Alii Kai 21'
How's it going. I might be at it again (grinding, glassing). Just found some cracks under the hull. Might as well make it how I want it now. Did you use foam panels for your fish box, 2 part foam, or just ply? Thinking of gutting the hull of all the things like you did and redoing it all one time. I did my livingston a couple of years ago and don't look forward to it, but needs to be fixed. Aloha

Howzit
Used 6lb density foam 2x8 sheets from fiberglass hawaii. I think I ended up using 3 sheets total. Made some peanut butter to stick to the box and glassed over with 2 layers of 1708. Hope this helps. Good luck with your build post some pics and keep us updated. Alot of people out there wanna do work to their boats and enjoy lookin at rebuild pics. Shootz. Aloha.

Reactions: JimmyK

Kinaiahi61

Jan 17, 2012
Lihue, Hi
Name
Kalani
Boat
Kai Kea
What type of wood did you use for the stringers? Also, is that a ikima behind the fish box? How big is your fish box and do you feel its adequate?

Unique06

May 1, 2011
Honolulu Hawaii
Name
Travis
Boat
Alii Kai 21'
What type of wood did you use for the stringers? Also, is that a ikima behind the fish box? How big is your fish box and do you feel its adequate?

For the stringers I went with 2x9's. Behind the fish box is an Ikima. Fish box is about 6ft in length x 3ft in depth and about 2 1/2 ft wide. I think its adequate for my fishing needs. Look like can fit about 3 Yellows in there and some Onos and Mahis!! Shootz. Aloha.

Kinaiahi61

Jan 17, 2012
Lihue, Hi
Name
Kalani
Boat
Kai Kea
Do u remember the type of wood the stringers were. Looks like some type of mahogany? Super beefy. Mahalos for the replies.

Unique06

May 1, 2011
Honolulu Hawaii
Name
Travis
Boat
Alii Kai 21'
Do u remember the type of wood the stringers were. Looks like some type of mahogany? Super beefy. Mahalos for the replies.

I forgot what type it was. I know its not Mahogany. I will try find out on Monday. Purchased it from plywood Hawaii out here on Oahu. Not too sure if you folks got a wood outlet up there. But you would want something that is tightly pressed so that you will not have alot of voids to suck up alot of resin. What size is your boat you rebuilding if I may ask? Shootz. Aloha.

kulani

Jun 6, 2009
Name
kulani
Boat
none
I forgot what type it was. I know its not Mahogany. I will try find out on Monday. Purchased it from plywood Hawaii out here on Oahu. Not too sure if you folks got a wood outlet up there. But you would want something that is tightly pressed so that you will not have alot of voids to suck up alot of resin. What size is your boat you rebuilding if I may ask? Shootz. Aloha.

kulani

Jun 6, 2009
Name
kulani
Boat
none
Travis, What size fuel tanks you got and where did you get them. Got a 19 Alii kai and would like to set it up pretty much like yours.

Unique06

May 1, 2011
Honolulu Hawaii
Name
Travis
Boat
Alii Kai 21'
Travis, What size fuel tanks you got and where did you get them. Got a 19 Alii kai and would like to set it up pretty much like yours.

Howzit Kulani
I got 2 20 Gallon Moeller tanks. Picked them up from West Marine. There are numerous sizes for 20 Gallons. Just gotta see which one is best for your setup. Good Luck. Keep us posted with some pics. Aloha.