Albi fishing tips?

Discussion in 'Northern California Fishing Reports' started by Chris Pereira, Sep 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Chris Pereira

Chris Pereira Newbie

Name:
    Capt. Chris
    Boat:
    Robalo 2640 "Sea Ya"
    I launch from Berkley every year chasing salmon but now I want to chase Albacore. Looking for some tips on how to search for them and fish for them since they seem to be close to HMB. I have a 27ft Robalo 2640 with outriggers.

2. stangclassic66

stangclassic66 USCG Master

Name:
    Capt. Erik
    Boat:
    25' Parker
    Launch of out half moon. Watch temp breaks and chlorophyll charts the night before and look for the hard breaks. Start trolling a couple miles before the break and into the break. Once you get a takedown, focus your efforts in that section.

Also once you get a takedown, give it a good 15-20 second count before even taking the boat out of gear or slowing down to idle. I like to keep the boat moving in idle, lessens the tangles. Have crew jump on the bit rods while you clear the rods that didn't get bit.

Once you get back on the troll, I like to match all the lures up to the lure color that got bit the most. Bleed, rinse, repeat.....unless you have live bait, but SF bay live bait sucks balls unless they have good swimming sardines.

Side note: bring lots of fucking ice. not 20lb, not 50lb, 100-200lbs is ideal if you want to load the boat. The limit north of conception is 25 albacore ea. Like my full speed brothers say, I like to fish until "scuppers deep". Once the tuna are on deck, designate the crew to bleed and spike immediately while you get back on the troll, then dunk the fish in a designated slush bin to chill and bring core temps down. 4 gallons of saltwater should slush 100lbs of ice perfectly.

Also, half moon sells flake ice 500lb for $20 but you have to time your visit because they don't have the best hours.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  3. Chris Pereira

Chris Pereira Newbie

Name:
    Capt. Chris
    Boat:
    Robalo 2640 "Sea Ya"
    Thanks for the tips Capt. Erik. Any websites you can recommend for the Temp and chlorophyll charts? Also, what about trolling speed and lure recommendation?

4. desmonic

desmonic Member

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    Hopefully One Day
    Chris Pereira likes this.
  5. mullet

mullet Metal Fabricator

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    19"Gregor
    I would troll at 8 to 10 knts till you find them then slow it down to 5 to 7 and box the area.The faster speed lets you cover more ground while hunting the slower speed keeps you in the area once you find them.
    I can remember fish biting the jigs at 15 kts on the admiral on the way home to morro bay,sometimes you would only get the lips .Seriously it would rip the lips right off them.

karlk1125 and Chris Pereira like this.
  6. stangclassic66

Name:
    Capt. Erik
    Boat:
    25' Parker
    Terrafin for the paid stuff. Tempbreak.com for the free shots.

Since you are starting off I'd would buy a set of bright zukers in either Mexican flag colors, zucchini, or dolphin colors, then a dark set for overcast and night time situations like black and purple. If you got extra funds, get a couple six shooters and rig up a pair of meatlines.

Google tuna meat lines. You need rubber snubbers, tuna cord 40-60ft for each meatline, and 200-400lb mono. About 10-15' to your lure. Tie each one off to your stern cleats or stern tie downs. When you get bit, your snubber will go taught and that's your indicator, keep the boat running straight and just handline them into the boat, straight commercial style! Helps to have a milkcrate or bucket to dump the line into so you don't tangle your feet. Sometimes it helps to drag them for 5-10 seconds because the rods will all load up.

Fuckin shit I might just tow my boat up there and go for them too now, I just got my blood boiling thinking about all these methods! Haha

7. Chris Pereira

Chris Pereira Newbie

Name:
    Capt. Chris
    Boat:
    Robalo 2640 "Sea Ya"
    Yo thanks for the details.
    You ever need a deckhand who's a quick learner, I'm your guy. It's one thing to read it and another to see it in action!

stangclassic66 likes this.
  8. tylas

tylas Newbie

Name:
    Ty Laskowski
    Boat:
    2601 striper dual 150 2stroke yammies 18ft gator trax
    I'll be out running this weekend

9. dannykl1957

dannykl1957 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    daniel klein
    Boat:
    none
    Not too familiar with the northern California fisheries above Morro Bay but trying to get some information for my kids. Are there six pack charter boat operations in Eureka or Bragg or wherever the albies are biting?
    Could someone please share dope on the quality operations and typical costs?
    They are looking to head up there for approx. 3 or 4 days in a week or so and want to fish every day. Less concerned about meat than sport and happy to give fish to crew and captain. They are very experienced anglers and have the very best long range gear. Do they even need to bring gear with them?
    thank you for any help and information you may offer.

sincerely,
    Dan
    ps: sorry to ask questions on a reports forum but there is no northern California trip planning forum here. Sorry to jack someone else's post.

10. mc08066

mc08066 Newbie

Name:
    Jimmy Greene
    Boat:
    kayak

11. mc08066

mc08066 Newbie

Name:
    Jimmy Greene
    Boat:
    kayak
    For Charters, try Marc out of Eureka. Does charters and he catches fish. Last 4 trips have been 18 plus fish days. Uses alot of spreader bars, cedar plugs and trollers. He set up with outrigers is 8 out. He is busy and in demand. Price is 300 to 325 and he takes 3 plus him and deckhand.

Fort Bragg, i had no luck for Albies finding a charter.
    Jimmy

stella marina and dannykl1957 like this.
  12. fishkilr

fishkilr on the water

Name:
    alby
    Boat:
    Indian/Aahi/Inseine
    Sorry I don't give tips...

13. bassmanben

bassmanben Newbie

Name:
    Ben
    Boat:
    None
    Bragg about it sportfishing is in Bragg and does tuna trips.

dannykl1957 likes this.
  14. Paddyman1

Paddyman1 I love pangas

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    N/A
    If remembered what an Albie looked like, I would try and help.

15. dannykl1957

Name:
    daniel klein
    Boat:
    none

Thanks very much Jimmy. that sounds like a pretty good deal to me.Do you know if he carried live bait?

Dan

16. dannykl1957

Name:
    daniel klein
    Boat:
    none

Thank you Ben,

Dan

17. stangclassic66

Name:
    Capt. Erik
    Boat:
    25' Parker
    Dan, do they want to go out of half moon or all the way up? Out of half moon you want to give Tom Mattusch on the hulicat a try. Tell him Erik on the old Alyssa D sent them. I personally think he's the most hardcore outgoing charter in that harbor and he knows his boat's limits and can fish weather. Only problem is live bait out of NorCal kind of sucks so it's a troll game and swimbaits or irons on the slide.

18. Quick Hits

Quick Hits Newbie

Name:
    Ed
    Boat:
    1999 Boston Whaler Outrage 210 and 1986 Boston Whaler Montauk
    Damn no I WTG!!!!!!!

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

19. Bigeasy

Bigeasy yeah, yeah!

Name:
    Eric W.
    Boat:
    Tunacious 238 Coastal Twin 150-E
    Nice hot water blob south of the 37. Santa Cruz looks to be the port to leave out of! And the live bait out of SF has been sort of small and you really have to run carefully not to bang them up! Made it just west of the islands and half my bait was rolled over and the rest had red snouts! The albies size are nothing to brag about. 100 gallons of fuel for 9 fish. On the flip side, Bluefin is a bonus if you can find them. I noticed a boat dragging a fish on my way in. Not my luck this year so far. Take a lot of ice as indicated!!!!!! Good luck!

20. mc08066

mc08066 Newbie

Name:
    Jimmy Greene
    Boat:
    kayak

Yes Marc is usually able to get fresh bait when availàble.