WaveDancer

Fishing The Pacific Ocean & Puget Sound Since 1969
  • Aug 26, 2008
    Kitsap/Westport, WA
    Name
    Ken
    Boat
    Prowling for a Cat
    Anyone know the last time albacore never showed up within sport and charter boat range in WA or Ilwaco, if ever?

I have never seen it this late in Oregon as there is almost ZERO sport reports of albacore being caught anywhere from Oregon ports so far. Normally the middle to southern OR ports have had plenty by now with some exotics as well, this year, nothing.

Weather lately out on the big blue is sure a waste with it being a dead sea.

Time will tell I guess.

WD

Upvote 0

robodad

BullShitoligest
    Mar 5, 2012
    Port Angeles
    Name
    Allen
    Boat
    26' Olympic XLF
    A friend lives in Newport Oregon I believe and sent me this pic and asked what kind of fish it was as he caught one while trolling for kings and coho down there, I didn't ask how far offshore he was but knowing him he was less then 20 miles offshore ! He was too slow on the net to get it in the boat but is confident this was the fish he caught !

Hope they start marching north soon !

Plan-a-perfect-bachelor-trip.jpeg

Reactions: dragonballs
    Upvote 0

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
    The Albacore run in cycles and there have been many years in the past where the fish never came inside of 70 miles. I had a Tuna Landing license sand began fishing them 20 years ago and in the beginning it was usual to only have a few chances of them inside of 40 miles. It was rare to even see sport guys out there fishing Albacore....Electronics got better...... 2007 hit and the season was ridiculous and the sport guys began really chasing them.... The seasons are slowly reverting back to pre 2007....... it will come and go...... Bumble Bee Tuna used to be in Newport Oregon and they used to catch them more consistently back in the day... hopefully we see more good years....

Upvote 0

dragonballs

I'm off probation
  • Mar 28, 2008
    Arlington WA
    Name
    Vance
    Boat
    40' ocean sport fisher
    A friend lives in Newport Oregon I believe and sent me this pic and asked what kind of fish it was as he caught one while trolling for kings and coho down there, I didn't ask how far offshore he was but knowing him he was less then 20 miles offshore ! He was too slow on the net to get it in the boat but is confident this was the fish he caught !

Hope they start marching north soon !

View attachment 1047418

When did he say he had one on. You should get more info and tease us

Reactions: G-Spot
    Upvote 0

Dave's Delta

"No, we're not catching"
    Apr 9, 2009
    Auburn & Westport, WA.
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    Looking for a Delta
    The Albacore run in cycles and there have been many years in the past where the fish never came inside of 70 miles. I had a Tuna Landing license sand began fishing them 20 years ago and in the beginning it was usual to only have a few chances of them inside of 40 miles. It was rare to even see sport guys out there fishing Albacore....Electronics got better...... 2007 hit and the season was ridiculous and the sport guys began really chasing them.... The seasons are slowly reverting back to pre 2007....... it will come and go...... Bumble Bee Tuna used to be in Newport Oregon and they used to catch them more consistently back in the day... hopefully we see more good years....

Good points....back in the 80's and 90's, our first scout trip of the year wouldn't have been until at least the middle of or the last week of July at the outer dumping grounds. We have been spoiled over the past 20 years.

Reactions: Goldrush and G-Spot
    Upvote 0