surfgoose

active geezer
Jul 29, 2010
Long Beach, CA, USA
Name
Gary
Boat
whichever has the longest bunk
I had a lot of success on albys using a 1 ounce chrome sinker just two feet ahead of a nose-hooked anchovy, hanging dead and flapping in the wind as the boat trolled. I would almost always get a "what an idiot" look from a young deckhand or two as we rolled along, but the moment that a troll rod was bit I would cast out to the outside of the troll lines and let out line. The weight would both attract the fish's eye and the movement would make the dead anchovy "swim" frantically.

A really consistent tactic. And no, I didn't invent it. My grandfather and uncle were commercial fishermen out of Newport Beach back when it actually had canneries, and that is how they did it. They would troll the plain white feathers that they got from Japan and homemade cedar plugs. Nobody had live bait tanks, you kept a bucket of fresh-dead anchovies on ice and used the sinker rig.

pacificscout

Hey! You got any frozen ice?
Jul 28, 2012
Fullerton
Name
Wally
Boat
16ft Scout EMBUSTERO
These have work for me.
Was told by deckhand larger jethead wouldn’t work.
It did🤪

9BFBA472-0363-43D4-94D3-E8390AB4EF4F.jpeg

CF62ADED-843E-4867-BC70-A82776BE4725.jpeg

Mtnfshr

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Nov 20, 2011
Thornton
Name
Chuck Mc
Boat
none
Was told by deckhand larger jethead wouldn’t work.
It did🤪
Back in the mid to late 70's, I worked on the PQ for Big Ed. We were fishing albies and some guy, using an Ambassdeur 5 or 6000 on a Fenwick Lunkerstik was throwing a Rebel deep running Fatback minnow on the bow. His line was that hideous looking flourescent yellow Stren. The plug was a flourescent orange back thing. I didn't say a thing and I'm glad I didn't. He caught a bluefin in the 25-30# class. Only one on the boat and at a time when they were pretty scarce offshore.
Never say never. On any given day, the worst pro team can beat the best.

Last edited:
Reactions: pacificscout