Albacore season

FishinMcNuggets

I've edited enough I should section this post.
Oct 25, 2010
Hermosa Beach, CA
Name
Mike
Boat
Avon 2.85 "C-¢"
Bodega, HMB, and Avila. Watch the counts.

dalurker

old skool rules
Dec 23, 2004
Cyber Sea
Name
#%^&) !!!
Boat
my blood vessel
Global Warming... ain't gonna happen like before no more around here... all up north only otherwise they woulda been at the usual places by now... if they do, it'll be "incidental"...

... but what do i know.

Highwayman

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 25, 2015
Name
Sammy
Boat
None
I’m going with the Tribute. I have my favorite jigs (lime head, black feathers) and a zucchini ready to go from the last time. Mexican flag as a backup. But then again I could be wrong (not about the feathers).

Reactions: esgeo

C.H.U.D.

Smells like fish
Aug 8, 2014
Name
c.d chudomelka
Boat
Bluewater 23T CC Twin suzukis 175
Whats a albacore ?

Tar Pit

Mar 7, 2006
Reno NV
Name
Friend of Bucko Shaw
Boat
None.
I'll play. The Shogun July 15th.

Reactions: basscatcher

2Rotten

Live in Oregon/Love to Fish San Diego!
Jan 10, 2010
Junction City OR
Name
Rod Lathrop
Boat
24' North River Seahawk Hardtop "Sun Dog"
Sun Dog within 2 weeks... Out of Charleston Oregon. Last 2 seasons were both plugged boat in late June there. Starting on the troll then converting to chum and jigs.

pastdue

May 18, 2006
Mira Mesa
Name
Don Cale
Boat
18.5 Larsen cc Pastdue
I’m going with the Tribute. I have my favorite jigs (lime head, black feathers) and a zucchini ready to go from the last time. Mexican flag as a backup. But then again I could be wrong (not about the feathers).
Don't forget that broomtail zucchini or the cedar plug and the small black and purple daisy chain

here'smymule

Nov 17, 2010
Culver City
Name
Tony Rezzato
The '70s are over, dude.;)
Speaking of the seventies, I just got back from a 3day on the Ranger. Boy that brought back memories. One of those memories was the Albacore in 1970. Fish showed up between the San Juan and the Rodriguez in early July. Cisco had the Electra, China Clipper and Ranger 85 as the three main overnight boats Electra and Clipper started to alternate day and a halfs. Ranger 85 kept the Miguel/ Santa Rosa run. After a couple of weeks we on the Clipper snagged a fish on the troll at sunset abeam of Miguel. Couple of days later jig got fish 20 miles from Santa Rosa. Charlie Gonzalez, Dicks second on the Electra said, "At this rate we will be fishing them at Yellow Banks next week!"
Well......,they set up in the triangle between Santa Cruz, Santa Barbara and San Nicholas and stayed until December. I worked the Thanksgiving weekend on the Clipper! My mother was pissed!
Anyway, what the 3day brought to mind was that at the time John Worobief had a deal with Decca Electronics for a position system they were developing. Similar to Loran. No lines. True position. There was nothing anyone else had like it. He would find a school leave it and go right back. We tried to follow him on the Clipper. We would mark him on this new Raytheon radar we had. Military grade for commerical use. He'd leave. Turn right at Anacapa and wait for us to pass.
Albacore. Who knows? They'll be back.

here'smymule

Nov 17, 2010
Culver City
Name
Tony Rezzato
1984 was at that time the most successful season on record. (supplanted later). I was finishing up graduate school ad could not find a job in my field. I went fishing on the Electra and wound up working for a few months. Lots of Albacore. After a broken shaft and some cocaine fueled madness in the yard I left and went to work for Glen Mueller on the Redondo Special. As the fall progressed we fished yellows and bonito, great! We would talk with Gary Imlom on the Gentleman. In late October he was fishing Albacore outside Footprint catching a few 50+# fish. A few weeks later those fish moved east and we had a couple of weeks where new records were made. Those fish showed on a Sunday and we chased them on the afternoon run out in the Channel. Next day we were off. I went out with Paulus on the Sharpshooter. Peterson was in wide open stop outside us and were trolling towards him, I was trying to score with the DFG fish counter that day too. We had two boat lines out and I had a troll rod. We got bit. Both boat linesripped out. I hung a slug and a 70#+ fish unbuttoned at gaff. For the next couple of weeks we alternated with City and both ran on weekends. Albacore special in the afternoon. We got bit, but could never get one- Armin, Syrian Joey and Joe Fresca all hooked fish ad got smoked. Caught big Skippies, too. It was hard to keep the regulars like Kevin the Porter sober. So the guy with the D8 and 40# would be too gassed to use it. That was not the case on the City. They caught 60-70# fish, I remember getting a bottle of Moet and taking over to the City to toast Oefinger. Last time there was a half day Albacore was with Capt Jack Baker on the City in 1963. Also, that same year Jack Ward got the regulars down to the Gentleman at 4am. from Paradise Cove Pier to fish the longfins.
Got lots of stories. 2003 two day on Freedom- had 2 fish on the boat by 5pm when we went into a screamer. My 13 y/o son was fish big leadhead and tuna plastic on a light 39 with a tricked out 300C ad 50#. I went the straight 80#. We wound up with 42.

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
maple valley, wa
Name
laurence
Boat
2021 Allied WildCat 30
Julia C from Westport, WA put 5 on the deck on her way to Newport, OR last week. Y’all need to keep up with the WA forum :finger:

onehottip

May 8, 2006
So cal
Name
Guerms
Boat
18.5 Wahoo cc , Evinrude Etec V6 135 HO
Good story Tony. Thanks, 84 was amazing .