Senior Fossil
Dec 16, 2003
Bay Park
www.jackinnis.com
Name
Jack
Boat
Not My Ride
Bill Roecker just e-mailed that the American Angler picked up a couple albies on the troll at 239 miles out. The boat was southbound, so they apparently continued along the way. Hmmm. Albies can travel how far per day?

May 29, 2011

Albacore Caught On Journey South!
American Angler skipper Sam Patella called his wife, office manager Lori Patella Sunday morning to say the boat had just caught two albacore of 15 to 18 pounds at 239 miles from San Diego, on the way to destinations south. The fish were likely trolled, but that information and more should be forthcoming later this evening.
Other boats that left yesterday include the Intrepid, Qualifier 105 Red Rooster III and Royal Star. Reports from them will also begin to come in soon.

Upvote 0

sitonmyface

SEXNOW
Oct 20, 2008
San Marcos
Name
Brandon
Boat
Sportboat
Oh sweet now everybody can pay $500 to go on a 2.5 day and troll and watch a deckhand throw some bait on a "meter mark". Gay:smoking33::supergay:Let me know when they're at 60 miles.

Upvote 0

Headshot

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 21, 2004
Lake Forest, CA.
Name
Tim
Boat
05' 2601 SeaSwirl Striper
Same story from every year in the past at this time of the year! Only time will tell if they actually show up close enough for us private boaters to go out and get'em!
But, in the past few years the reports were showing Albies taken pretty close the last 2 weeks of May and the first week of June and then they were gone! And then came the "Wait until the 4th of July,thats when they really show up" statements from a few here, but never did!
So its just a matter of time and fisherman actually gettin out there on the recon for them, and with the price of fuel, very few willing to go on the recon missions for them right now!
Just my humble opinion and from my experience over the years!
Hope its a good fishing season this summer regardless if the albies show or not!
Good luck to all!....................

Upvote 0

glib

Almost A Member
Nov 29, 2010
bird rock
Name
chris
Boat
ruru
. Hmmm. Albies can travel how far per day?
they can travel quite a ways in a day but they dont travel in a straight line they follow currents and food

Upvote 0

Danny

Fish Doper
May 17, 2009
Torrance
Name
Danny
Boat
SS FAT GUY
Good News!
Was this the leading edge of fish heading this way?
Most likey, NO
Was this an indicator of them even coming this way?
Again most likey NO
Can you determine when they will arrive in local water from this.
Once again the answer is NO

So what does all this mean?
Well it means Albacore could pop up almost anywhere between here and there in the next few days/weeks.
Albacore do their traveling deep and then pop up to the surface where we catch them. Conditions between there and here right now are very favorable (knock on wood) Same goes for conditions from here out to the SW 900 miles to where the comercial jig boats are working them
We have very clean 62/63 degree water outside of the dumper, east to almost the beach. This bubble of water is pushing north a bit closer every day.

The size of the fish, historically, being 15lb fish, is perfect for a good long season.

This is the alarm clock going off in the morning. Time to wake up and get ready for the new day. If you hit the snooze button and go back to sleep you might end up being late or worse yet miss the whole dam thing.

This is your last call for reel tuneups and filling them with new freshline.
Doing all your boat stuff, like a tuneup and all the other mantinance stuff that needs to be done.
How are those tires, brakes and bearings on your trailer? Get them checked out now BEFORE the fish get here. If you wait your mechanic might not have the time for you once the fish arrive.

Lastly this would be a good time to sign up for a Fishdope account.
It's a VERY BIG Ocean and one can never have to much CURRENT information when it comes to heading offshore

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
Feb 24, 2003
East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
Name
starts with an "M".....
Boat
#1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
Oh sweet now everybody can pay $500 to go on a 2.5 day and troll and watch a deckhand throw some bait on a "meter mark". Gay:smoking33::supergay:Let me know when they're at 60 miles.

jeez....."somebody" must have gotten the big ass SKUNK on a previous trip..... :rolleyes:

"supergay" is letting the fleet find the fish for you at 60 miles....

......just sayin. :rofl:

Upvote 0

fishndude

Jan 6, 2008
east county
Name
tom
Boat
14 ft aluminum
Wow,two albacore at 240 miles,how many long range boats drove through that area ? woopydoo ! time to book your day and a half trip before all boats are full.

Upvote 0

Swarthy Dago

Coredor de las olas
Aug 20, 2008
USA
Name
My name is Nobody
Boat
n/a
the late rains we had this month, the gloom we have now, same as last year, for fear of retribution I'm not going to say anything else about the future, heheheh.

Upvote 0

medunn16

Captain blue perch!!!
Apr 1, 2006
Lomita
Name
Chris
Boat
Blackman'46'Boat Ho!!!
Were in one of those dark cycles like the early 90's,,,,,,,,,we might just have to wait a few years again!

Tommy?

Upvote 0

sitonmyface

SEXNOW
Oct 20, 2008
San Marcos
Name
Brandon
Boat
Sportboat
jeez....."somebody" must have gotten the big ass SKUNK on a previous trip..... :rolleyes:

"supergay" is letting the fleet find the fish for you at 60 miles....

......just sayin. :rofl:

The only SKUNK that I'm around frequently is the sticky green kind :smoking33:

.......just sayin. :smoking33::smoking33::smoking33:

Upvote 0

Bottom Line

Village idiot
Jul 9, 2006
Warner Springs
Name
Steve
Boat
Invader CC - Bottom Line
The commercial jig boats have been getting tonnage of 15 - 18 lb fish @ 200 miles for a couple weeks now....shrug....

Upvote 0

Saluki

May 10, 2003
HB
Name
Mika Tan
Boat
"MoorZilla"
Had to return a brand new Floscan.
As soon as we get it back from them Cooter, FKG, & I are loading up the cans on Hanna and heading south.
It's time.

Upvote 0

Cribbg

Cribbg
Jun 23, 2009
San Diego,CA.USA
Name
Norm
Boat
-
So glad to hear some news. Been in heavy withdrawals since October. Looking forward to a promising season. I heard 2 weeks ago, we are OUT of this El Nina~cold cycle, and that it will be a more normal summer. YES!

Upvote 0

Captain Curt

Cooter
Jun 22, 2003
Mission Viejo
www.noahstackle.net
Name
Curtis
Boat
24ft Skipjack FB "Hanna"
Had to return a brand new Floscan.
As soon as we get it back from them Cooter, FKG, & I are loading up the cans on Hanna and heading south.
It's time.

The time is now. Been watching the Temp charts for a couple weeks now. Weather has been bad and not enough PB out there hunting yet. Guess what guys..............not everyone that catches post it here. :rofl: You just never know whats going out there till you try.

Curtis.............

The boat Hanna...........

Upvote 0