Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    One year my boss and I jumped Pacific Star w/Mike and crew. Mike said ALBACORE at the Dumper, and we're going yard for an overnight 1 day trip.
    We got in the zone about 10am, Mike said look off the bow, and get ready to ROCK. Saw 1000's Albies boiling in a massive school. In less than an hour we filled both holds and the slammer. SO wide open, ran out tags, fish piled in front of the bait tank...started throwing bare hooks in 4ft over the side and 5 tuna would fight for the hook....2 fish on a hook several times. The cook had a Golf Club with 3 eyes a tip eye and reel clamped on hooking 1 after the other. I started throwing the trolling jigs off the bow with the crew when many had quit. Albacore then a Marlin fighting for the splashed jig...jackpoling onboard. LUNACY.

When we got done, opened my backpack..hey boss, you want a banana? Got 2. As we gulped them down, laughter from many. What banana jinx???
    That is just ONE day in my 30+ years of Albacore fishing. HOPE they come, and stay...I'm on the mend til late season. GETTUM! LOL

Upvote 0

Anders1

Almost A Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Oregon
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    16 " Duckworth
    When they are on the chew, a Shimano Flat Side jig (speed jig, not the flat fall) with 10 ft of 50# fluoro, 65# main with a locked down drag is the fastest way to get them over the rail. Do it every year here in Oregon. F 25# line and live bait. Live bait is to get them on the chew around the boat, then throw the jigs at them. Live bait is a fun experience, but the get meat over the rail, speed jigging is where the action is at.

Upvote 0

Ratshirt

Mar 25, 2007
    Oregon
    Name
    Ratshirt
    Boat
    none
    When they are on the chew, a Shimano Flat Side jig (speed jig, not the flat fall) with 10 ft of 50# fluoro, 65# main with a locked down drag is the fastest way to get them over the rail. Do it every year here in Oregon. F 25# line and live bait. Live bait is to get them on the chew around the boat, then throw the jigs at them. Live bait is a fun experience, but the get meat over the rail, speed jigging is where the action is at.
    I have always found this to work best.

1517012-1cbc7cbbf3fc0ee8f472d0841adc81a1.jpg

Anders1
    Anders1
    Yeah, get the Jack Pole working, and that's the fastest. Takes a ton of chum and cooperative fish at the surface, ONLY drawback.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

JamesZ

Jun 25, 2018
    Montana
    Name
    James Zachary
    Boat
    Kenner 23
    I remember a few things about fishing albacore when I was a kid.

Dropping a fish trap back on the slide.

knife jigs

They mix with bluefin.
    I remember seeing acres and acres maybe even square miles of boiling albacore. you could see the white water with out magnification from a mile away.

plugging the Alicia so full of albacore with chuck taft that the fish sloshing in the hold was making the rails of the boat dip under water with any type of swell.
    Good times!

They also mix with big eye and I remember getting spooled way back in the day when we rolled up on a foamer of triple digit big eye and all I had was a 25lb outfit on a 1.5 day.
    Those where my favorite days.

Upvote 0

Tunahead

• Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    Sorry down here "Speed Jigging" off a 90ft tuna boat when fishing live bait is NOT where the action is. It's how to become "That Guy" collecting 5-10 other anglers lines with a jig. Also trying to jackpole them with 25-35 fighting fish is
    looking for disaster....a jig ripping lose into someones face. Unless alone or 1-2 on the bow maybe. Seen it many times. Jig winder beware!
    Many tuna boats in Socal have a JIGS forward of the gate rule. We have prime bait down here too.

I had bull dorado jump and throw a jig with a 5/0 back through my right cheek for 24 stitches on the way home. After duct taping the wound, we went back and I got the dorado...but a very learning experience. Just some input on the Forum. TY
    LOL

Upvote 0

Steve Francis

Sep 11, 2006
    --
    Name
    StephenKatSea
    Boat
    .--.
    Years ago and prior to any Albacore appearing for that year, I got a call from my best friend Billy Miyagawa Sr, owner of Zukers. He asked if I'd be interested in going on an exploratory trip with Gary Black on the Conquest. Billy explained it would be just the crew, Billy and myself and a couple others. Sure, why not. Apparently there had been a report of fish from an ocean going tug going to or from Hawaii. A little short of the reported area Gary found them. And they bit good. We put on over a 100 fish. Recall we lifted a few fish, but most were on rod and reel. 15-20# fish. This was prior to the days of Internet. So, we left them biting and hauled ass for San Diego. Gary wanted to get back to the dock at a reasonable hour so those interested could see our fish. The word had been passed thru the fleet and we were met by a sizable group back at the dock. That trip got the season started. Great memories.

If any of you ever fished with Billy, you know he was extremely low key and one of the best ever on rod and reel. Our friendship began back in the days of Pierpoint Landing and continued until he passed. He is loved and missed by many.

Upvote 0

Tunahead

• Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    HEY....Donkey Nick....I put a 5/0 thru my cheek on Freelance off San Clemente back in the early 80's...before digital cameras...of cell phones/cams!
    But I know plenty of Witnesses....LOL LOL LOL

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Dan Salazar

Aug 23, 2014
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Dan Salazar
    Boat
    Rum Runner
    Oh GOD....regular sized fish (15# - 25#) in SD.....30# - 50# fish at Morro Bay..... would truly be like the 70's and 80's. IGFA records on the Half Day boats.... rare and unusual.....yes. 2000 fish days in the counts.... thats what attracted me so many years ago. So...sorry brothers... they have a permanent place in my "fishy" heart. If it started this week....would you be ready?
    Back in the day height of Albacore season all 3 landings would report 3000 fish in The Times sports section every day how come they always reported exactly 3000 the landings didn't want to show variance to indicate the bite was slowing

Reactions: woodfish330
    Upvote 0

Bandit603

Jun 19, 2020
    Wildomar
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    Wish I had one
    They are out there, but no one what to go explore. Pretty much sure if I had a boat I could go get them. Start at the 60 mile bank and work west. No one is even looking or covering that area.

Reactions: jer dog
    Upvote 0