Well-Known "Member"
Aug 31, 2004
Claremont
Name
Ryan
Boat
Hobie Outback
Thank you in advance...

The wife and I are planning on seeing and fishing Alaska. We want to spend 2 weeks total. Maybe fishing half the time. We want the fishing "resort" but not 100% of our trip. Are there any good RV rental trips worth doing? Safe? We dont want to feel like we missed anything. We know just enough to screw up our trip or get lucky. What I am hoping for is some good suggestions on wife friendly adventures. I suspect we will book for next year, maybe seal the deal at Fred hall this year.
Must have:
TAX SEASON (now through APR 15th is a no go, CPA wife)
Less hunting fishing lodge more resort feel (clean and private rooms)
Freezer filling potential (not a catch and release guy)
Good food
Stuff I think I want:
Both guided and un guided fishing once I get the lay of the land I am fine striking out alone I think I prefer it but ???
Shrimp and crab fishing

I know there are a lot of options, and great fishing lodges, but the wife isn't a hardcore fisherman... she likes a little bit of pampering.

Opinions?

Reactions: CartridgeCalls

kevina

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
Too many questions and not enough answers!! May I suggest buy a few books on traveling to Alaska or Google it! Then. When you can narrow it down to something close you need help on,, I could probably answer some of your questions along with fellow Bloody Decker's. there's to many variables on your question. Once you narrow your subjects down, Then you can really start planning and have a very memorable trip.

Lundalakan

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 29, 2016
Socal, Poway
Name
Lou
Boat
Lund alaskan
If you want salmon you should look up the approx timing of the various seasons/runs in the area(s) you want to visit

Tail Chaser

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 31, 2004
Claremont
Name
Ryan
Boat
Hobie Outback
Which businesses cater to fisherman that are bringing their wife?

AKSalmon

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 15, 2006
Juneau, Alaska
Name
Bill Brown
Boat
Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
If it were me, I wouldn't try to see all of Alaska in two weeks. Maybe make two stops; don't spend the whole vacation driving an RV. Realize that there are very few roads in Alaska so driving is limited -- and the roads are frequently traffic filled in the summer. if it were me, I'd spend a week at a fishing lodge in Southeast and then a week in Anchorage or Fairbanks, and rent a car to drive a bit. Maybe drive from Fairbanks or take the train to Denali. Alaska is a huge state and you can't see it all.

Reactions: Tail Chaser

Tail Chaser

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 31, 2004
Claremont
Name
Ryan
Boat
Hobie Outback
If it were me, I wouldn't try to see all of Alaska in two weeks. Maybe make two stops; don't spend the whole vacation driving an RV. Realize that there are very few roads in Alaska so driving is limited -- and the roads are frequently traffic filled in the summer. if it were me, I'd spend a week at a fishing lodge in Southeast and then a week in Anchorage or Fairbanks, and rent a car to drive a bit. Maybe drive from Fairbanks or take the train to Denali. Alaska is a huge state and you can't see it all.
Thank you... with that I am ok canceling the RV idea... not interested in traffic. We are fine not seeing it all, but my wife would be sad if all we did was fish.

flytie

Well-Known "Member"
Oct 20, 2012
Orange, CA USA
Name
GC
Boat
Out of Office - Custom Invader CC
Waterfall Resort might be a good choice. If you get one of the cabins you can have all of the privacy you could want. Great amenities, beautiful location, a little adventure getting there. They have top notch fish processing on site and you can take your catch back.

www.waterfallresort.com

Tail Chaser

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 31, 2004
Claremont
Name
Ryan
Boat
Hobie Outback
Is Pybus a decent resort?

fishja

I've seen bigger waves in the toilet!
Jun 21, 2015
Carlsbad
Name
fishja
Boat
Sold
Have been to Anchor Point Lodge twice now. Fishing is phenomenal, nice lodging (not over the top but very private), nice boats, scenery is unreal, and the captains are top notch. I’ll be taking my little one there once she’s old enough to enjoy it.

strk4

Oct 4, 2006
Chula Vista
Name
Mike
Boat
22'
I've been to Dove Island resort off Sitka with my wife, who also requires pampering. It is pricy but very well suited for non-fishing wives. I recommend doing their float plane fly in for river fishing at least one day. That was the highlight of the trip for me. They also have ocean trips for halibut and salmon. The boat picks you up a minute walk from your room. I'll do something less elegant the next time, without the wife.