ALASKA FISHING

chris760

Jul 24, 2016
Escondido
Name
Christopher Lefore
Boat
none
Looking to book a trip to Alaska the next coming year... curious which place has the least restrictions on halibut. Looking at Highliner lodge out of pelican Alaska.

la vida

Now I love our Prezzz!!!
Jun 28, 2006
El Cazonn
Name
Frank F
Boat
Boat-less (Sad)
They had a great write up in Pacific Coast mag . I was amazed at all the restrictions and limits. Wow!
Anyway looked like Victoria BC had the most liberal takes.
This should be a wake up call to all the lower States. With closures and limits. They would really like it if you just stayed off the water. Anyway it was an interesting read.

Reactions: kevina and makairaa

makairaa

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
They had a great write up in Pacific Coast mag . I was amazed at all the restrictions and limits. Wow!
Anyway looked like Victoria BC had the most liberal takes.
This should be a wake up call to all the lower States. With closures and limits. They would really like it if you just stayed off the water. Anyway it was an interesting read.
It isn't about keeping you off the water. Its about protecting the commercial fishery. Thats all they care about up there.

nicodemus

Well-Known "Member"
Apr 10, 2012
ALBUQUERQUE
Name
Nicholas Bronson
Boat
themodcatfish
Looking to book a trip to Alaska the next coming year... curious which place has the least restrictions on halibut. Looking at Highliner lodge out of pelican Alaska.
This is too broad a question. If you tell us more precisely what you want and plan to do, you will likely get some better answers. Are you after big halibut? Do you want to keep as much meat as you can? Are you looking only at a lodge? Are you interested in the lingcod, rockfish and salmon that are often part of halibut charters in AK? Is there a particular time of year you are planning on going?

As far as "restrictions," you'll need to do some homework. AK has some really varying regs depending on what area you are fishing. Compound that by the fact that halibut are managed by the feds, not the state. You will want to verify any reg-specific answers you get here yourself. Better yet, call the places/operators you are looking at - they will know exactly the regs for the specific area they are fishing.

As far as Makairaa's response:

"It isn't about keeping you off the water. Its about protecting the commercial fishery. Thats all they care about up there."

While basically accurate, it's a little more complicated. It's sort of a David and Goliath thing - the charter operators (David) battling with the commercial interests (Goliath). In this case, David just doesn't have the resources (money, sway, political connections) to defeat Goliath (lots of money, powerful politically - is that redundant? - and with way more voices). Sadly, the little guy has lost each year's battle (establishing that year's regs) for the last decade or so.

I'm not dissing your comment, I just have an attachment to AK, having lived there for 10 years and fished many, many charters. And still fishing there after I moved out of state. And I still work in AK in the oilfield. So I care, and most Alaskans care about the effed-up regs shutting out the average Alaskan and the guy coming up from the lower 48 wanting to catch some nice halibut on a charter.

In fact, the restrictive regs of the past decade are why I switched from doing 3-4 halibut/ling/salmon charters on my way back home after a work hitch in the summer to long range fishing out of San Diego. I just did the math and with lodging, food, and fishing out of Homer for 4 days, it's not much less than doing a 7-day trip out of San Diego.

Anyway, way off topic here. Hope the OP asks more specifically what he's after.

Nick

CaptJgray

Jan 23, 2014
Huntington Beach
Name
Jeff Gray
Boat
hell no....
Agree with everything Nick said, really difficult to give opinions unless you can clarify what you're after.

I fish Yakutat, if you are charter fishing only it will be a great option for a quality sized fish.
I typically fish unguided which allows for the take of (2) halibut per person, any size. Guided it is (1) fish per person, any size.

Icy bay is another really solid choice, I like Yakutat because of the ability to fish the rivers, other areas.

Check out -
The Yakutat Charter Boat Company

My buddy Jeff in the photo, not me...
butt.jpg
butts.jpg

Almud

Jan 3, 2015
Name
Almud
Boat
Wish I Had One
Never fished with them but have fished the area and really like it. They are a short run from Area 3A where one can catch one halibut of any size except some Tuesdays and Wednesdays (subject to change each year).

Reactions: STANWOOD BOB

cchris

Oct 2, 2014
Name
Cris
Boat
friends :)
I lived several summers in Pelican, Ak- a truly magnificent and very friendly place to visit and fish. The experience itself would be worth it. It’s been like 15 years but back then it was fairly remote and fishing was world class. Very easy fishing for halibut and rockfish. Picked up several big king salmon in 2006 trolling for them. Would go back anytime if I had the time and money

FishRock

Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
It isn't about keeping you off the water. Its about protecting the commercial fishery. Thats all they care about up there.
Halibut harvest limits are set by the Feds based on available biomass. The split between commercial and sport is based on the historical harvest by both groups. The reason some areas of Alaska have such restrictive harvest limits is due to 2 things.

1. The current biomass of Pacific Halibut is depressed from the highs of the 80's and 90's.

2. Sport anglers are getting better and better at killing fish and while there may be fewer anglers in the US compared to a decade ago, the ones who are fishing are more aggressive.

Unfortunately most of the resident fish in Alaska are long lived, easily located and slow to reproduce. Salmon are the most resilient and even they are having issues surviving as the marine environment changes.

I feel that many California anglers are spoiled rotten. They have access to some of the most productive fisheries in the world and in most cases very liberal bag limits. Though Cow Cod and Yellow Eye rockfish were off limits for quite some time.

Icey Bay Lodge out of Yakutat has access to some great fishing and booking a multi day trip out of Seward works well too.

https://www.localknowledge.tv/portfolio-item/midnight-sun/

I participate in the SD long range fishery and marvel at the opportunities it offers.

There are some under utilized species up here. Pacific Cod. You can legally fill a freezer van full of them every day and they are good eats.

ratboy

Well-Known "Member"
Nov 18, 2006
sc
Name
jason
Boat
katie sea
Agree with everything Nick said, really difficult to give opinions unless you can clarify what you're after.

I fish Yakutat, if you are charter fishing only it will be a great option for a quality sized fish.
I typically fish unguided which allows for the take of (2) halibut per person, any size. Guided it is (1) fish per person, any size.

Icy bay is another really solid choice, I like Yakutat because of the ability to fish the rivers, other areas.

Check out -
The Yakutat Charter Boat Company

My buddy Jeff in the photo, not me...View attachment 1097645View attachment 1097646
you can keep two fish legally in yakutat, one fish any size and one 28" or less 2 total.
2 any size if you are sport fishing NOT on a charter, fishing can be as close as 2-4 miles or as far as 15-18 miles, good grade fish is common.

Reactions: caballo del mar

Randal

randal
Nov 29, 2004
California
Name
randal
Boat
19' Marine Specialty
Looks like more restrictions for 2020 are recommended by the North Pacific Fishery Management Council. The recommendations are usually adopted by International Pacific Halibut Commission and they meet in February for the final decision. For the proposals for 2C and 3A go to
www.npfmc.org/charter-halibut-2020/

Randal

randal
Nov 29, 2004
California
Name
randal
Boat
19' Marine Specialty
If you looked at the link above you can see guided restrictions are making it tough for southeast and southcentral AK except for unguided fishing. There is a lodge called Kodiak Combos located in Old Harbor Kodiak. I think they make halibut trips to the management zone 3B which allows two halibut any size per day with no annual limit or closed fishing days. If I remember right, Jeff, the owner used to advertise on this site. Look at his web site, in the halibut section he mentions 3B fishing, I would contact him.
www.kodiakcombos.com