Amadeus

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 17, 2011
San Diego/CA/US
Name
Wai Jung
Boat
Seahawk II
Arrived at the landing on 10/9, found a parking spot, got a cart, and proceeded to unload my bags and rods when I realized that I did the "2014 Alan Tani Maneuver"...I had forgotten to put my main reel bag in the car. All my conventionals were nicely packed BUT sitting underneath my work table 40 miles away.

11 rods were with me but only four reels...my spinners:

1. Okuma CD65 on Quantum BROS70M - 20 lb
2. Daiwa BG6500 on Daiwa STW70MHS - 40 lb
3. Fin Nor Lethal 100 on Tsunami TSTBS-J 701XH - 60 lb
4. Fin Nor Lethal 100 on Daiwa STJ70XHFS - 80 lb (this Fin Nor was later switched out with a Quantum Cabo 100 that someone had brought)

All the spinners were spooled with solid braid hollow connected to their respective short mono top shots. Found that nail knots, nubs, and glue gave me the connection profile for casting that I like for the amount of material and effort I was willing and happy to commit to.

Well...I had intentions of doing an "all spinner" multi-day someday, just not on this 8-day. The 1:20 hour round trip, losing my parking spot, and the boat leaving me at the dock weren't in my favor at all so it meant this WAS going to be THAT trip. BUT...this was the Alan Tani Charter, so chances of more gear being available than what could be used was high based on all the previous years' charters, and that was the case. Guys were offering to loan me reels left and right so I took up two offers of a Makaira 8 setup on an 8' rod (50 lb rig) and a Talica 25 reel that I could mount on my Daiwa VIP6455XXH (100 lb rig). In the back of my mind, I was going to minimize reliance on the loaner gear because this guy named "Murphy" and his "Law" always have a high probability of showing up...more on this later.

Given the path of Sergio, Capt. Mike pointed the SOA towards San Clemente Island, so our first three days were spent in U.S. waters chasing BFT. We managed 15 of the "smaller" models; tried trolling for the big ones but none bit. At midday Thursday, the SOA was turned SSE towards Mexican waters heading to The 13 with stops along the way. En-route, we encountered paddies while still in U.S. waters at which one yielded good sized Dodo's; I only managed a bonito on the Okuma, but at least the skunk was off.

After that, we got into fish that was at times WFO. The Bonito, Skippy's, peanut YFT, and rat YT were all C&R'd. My first keeper was a YT caught on the Cabo 80 lb yoyo-ing a dodo-colored Candy Bar. Except for the Okuma (which stay racked for the remainder of the trip), I dropper-looped and flylined with all the spinning rigs and the Talica. The Talica I used intermittently for two days, and then it stayed in the rack. Though it was more work since I wasn't able to use the rail, the spinners worked out just fine. My biggest YFT and my one Dodo were caught flylining on the Fin Nors.

Regarding Murphy and his law: on the fifth morning, I tried bouncing a skippy during a WFO YFT bite and snapped the Tsunami below the fourth guide...totally my bad. With the Tsunami out of commission, I removed the BG6500 fron the Daiwa STW70MHS and reconfigured with the 80 lb Fin Nor with a 50 lb fluoro leader and dialed the drag down from 26 lbs to 16lbs. This was the setup that landed my one and only Dodo.

Later that day, while reeling in what will turn out to be my biggest YFT of the trip, I followed the fish around the stern towards the starboard corner and got my line over a tangle in-progress mid-stern. When I reached that corner, I heard something to the effect of "...it's in the water!!!" A Mak 10 and Phenix 700 setup (one of Alan's loaners) had gotten yanked overboard by the still hooked fish just after being worked free of the tangle--another reason I hesitate using other people's toys--it can get expensive when things go wrong. We were anchored so the deckies threw out heavy jigs in an attempt to snag the rig back but to no avail.

At The 13, we found wahoo, but I did not land one. Everyone else was throwing wahoo bombs but I threw a 4-ounce kroc-style chrome spoon. I know something big hit it that made my line slice through the water before the split ring failed...the 80 lb swivel was the only thing left on the tag end of the wire. It pulled my line faster than any of the YFT we'd been encountering so I'm guessing wahoo. Knew I should have swapped those rings out for 120 lb ones or stronger (which I had with me) but didn't...lesson learned.

All of those hollow core splices held and so did my Bimini twist, San Diego Jam, Snell, and Yucatan knots.

All in all, the trip was a success without any of my conventionals, though it was self-evident my "Florida rigs," as the crew called them, made me work harder for each fish. HOWEVER, the overall experience never came close to the "Never again!!!" breaking point. Knowing that I can do an 8-day with just spinners was worth the price paid. Going forward, though, I can guarantee I will NOT have another brain fart that will leave my reels under the work table again. It's good to have the option to switch to the rail after sessions of the spinner lift-and-retrieve workout.

The Cabo 100 was definitely nicer than the LT100, so I'm going to see if the recently discontinued Cabo 100 and 120 are still available and at a good price...guess I am a glutton for punishment.

Last edited:

Shon

Fish til I can't fish no more
Jan 21, 2014
Redondo Beach/ Mammoth
Name
Shon
Boat
Spirit of Adventure/ Pac Voyager
Thanks for the report! Sounds like a fun trip. I’m aboard the SOA right now and we are getting bait, heading straight down to the lower zone. Wish us luck!

Sacto John

Sep 6, 2013
United States
Name
John Humphreys
Boat
Duct Tape Queen

NaplesJohn

Never Forget 343
Jun 9, 2010
Port Aransas, TX, USA
Name
John
Boat
Wilderness Systems T-160...and just sold the boat!!!
A few years ago, I realized half way to the airport that I'd forgotten the reel bag. Needless to say I made record time after a U turn..back home and back to airport. One day I'll be smart and add a loading checklist..
Thanks for the report...sounds like you made it work OK...

Lake

Mar 31, 2003
Visalia, CA
Name
Blaine Lake
Boat
none
Years back a guy showed up for an 8 day trip having forgotten his reel bag. He was from Newport and we left about 2 hours late so his wife could drive the reels down. No biggie considering the time you’re on the trip. Also, since you were going to SCI it probably wouldn’t have mattered if the boat left a little late.

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
An old friend, just the two of us heading to the lake. He would say: “Rods and Reels and Tackling Boxes.” ;) To this day, I repeat that every time I load up.

Beyond that, a shore bag that I operate out of pre trip and post trip. Clothes to change into for departure day and then into on the return and for lounging around at a friend’s house, as I spend a night and take home frozen fish. The sea bag with clothes, et cetera and sometimes a milk crate for Gin and Tonic and a six pack of wine. Tiny duffel filled with miscellaneous heavy tackle goes on the longer trips.

I once did a charter for the guys here in Bishop, just a day and a half, and since I was the “expert” they relied on me for terminal tackle. Forgot the tackle box!:)

Corndog

Landlocked
Sep 22, 2009
Northern Colorado
Name
Jason Jones ( Lone Shark)
Boat
Century 1801, Hobie PA14 & SoA
An old friend, just the two of us heading to the lake. He would say: “Rods and Reels and Tackling Boxes.” ;) To this day, I repeat that every time I load up.

Beyond that, a shore bag that I operate out of pre trip and post trip. Clothes to change into for departure day and then into on the return and for lounging around at a friend’s house, as I spend a night and take home frozen fish. The sea bag with clothes, et cetera and sometimes a milk crate for Gin and Tonic and a six pack of wine. Tiny duffel filled with miscellaneous heavy tackle goes on the longer trips.

I once did a charter for the guys here in Bishop, just a day and a half, and since I was the “expert” they relied on me for terminal tackle. Forgot the tackle box!:)
Haha..Steve...when my Laker buddy and I are freaking out overthinking last second I always say "you got your rod? you got your license?" ....YA...Nothing else matters. let's go lol