Alan (or others)... Need Penn 501 help

Discussion in 'Fishing Reels' started by writebrian, Feb 15, 2010.

1. writebrian

writebrian ... and I'm 6'5"

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    Whoever is Hot that week
    Got a little play in the handle of my 501. It's not the worn out gear sleeve that Alan describes in his rebuild post but "in and out" play if you pull on handle. I pulled on it with the reel apart and can see it's the actual entire bridge assembly moving in and out a 1/4 of a millimeter when you "jiggle" the handle.

It seems like a washer under the main gear would fill the space and stop it. Is that why you recommend the Senator thicker washer under the main gear? Would that solve my problem? If so, you have one for sale... or where can I find that washer?

2. AKSalmon

AKSalmon I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Bill Brown
    Boat:
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    If I understand what you are saying, this is the problem: Over time the gear sleeve gets sloppy on the bridge and you have that "in and out." The simplest solution is a new bridge assembly (from Pennparts.com). Alternatively, you can get a very thin washer to shim the gear sleeve.

3. writebrian

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    Whoever is Hot that week
    shim under the bridge... under the gear...or between the bridge and outer side plate?

4. mchawk

mchawk Newbie

Name:
    michael
    Boat:
    ?
    Hey Brian,

Did ya get that guide fixed?

Shim under the gear sleeve, you have to pound the pin out to remove it. The problem comes from the design, the only thing holding the gear sleeve on the post on the bridgeplate is that little pin. The machining tolerances on the jigmasters are not that tight to begin with and after time that post and pin wear, making it worse. Even when they are new there is some play in them. As Bill said you can use some thin washers (Teflon washers work good) to shim the gear sleeve, just make sure it doesn't get too tight. If your going to take off the gear sleeve you might want to talk to Alan about a stainless steel sleeve if you haven't changed it already, big improvement.

5. writebrian

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    Whoever is Hot that week
    Mike,
    I goit the Calstar taken care of. Ready for 2010 season. I looked at the amount of "play" and even a drag washer would be too thick. Are there teflon washers made for other purposes out there in general use I can try? Where do I find thin washers?

Also any idea where I can get a power handle rather than the small counterbalanced one? Which handles fit which reels? Will 500 handle work?

6. steelfish

steelfish the BBB, Baja Bass Boy..

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    yes it will work,

sometimes I put my 500L handle (new style with ruber knot) in my 501 for a season as a back up reel or for a friend (so they will never mess with any of my saltist LOL).
    and sometimes I use 500L for the next season and so on..

mmm I think it'll be better to to buy another penn power handle jajaja
    fleabay you can find them at a good price

7. maxfishon

maxfishon Newbie

Name:
    Raymond
    Boat:
    none
    Brian, as another alternative you can put a pro gear bridge sleeve assy. I got some from ebay from the guy who sells a lot of the pro gear stuff. The play is very very little compared to the penn stuff. I'm about to get more to finish off the rest of my 501 jigmasters.

8. alantani

alantani I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    alan tani
    Boat:
    grady white tournament 19, grady white journey 258
    brian, send me a pm with your address and i'll mail you a couple of shim washers. it usually takes 1-2 washers. they are metric washers so they are a little tight. what you have to do is center the washer over the shoulder of the gear sleeve post, then press the washer onto the base of the post using the gear sleeve itself. it's thin brass and goes on easily.

when i had that last batch of stainless steel gear sleeves made up, i had two retaining pin holes punched in them, one normal, one high, just because of thie problem. alan

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  9. writebrian

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    Whoever is Hot that week
    PM sent Alan. Also looking for opinion on Newell LC1 bearing upgrade for 501. Looking to make a 20# albacore catching anchovy tosser out of this reel. Polished spool and got an increase in free spool but wondering if the bearings will add to it. Worth the 5 bucks?

10. mchawk

mchawk Newbie

Name:
    michael
    Boat:
    ?
    Brian, This link will cover the penn handles

Buy Penn Reel Parts On-line With No Hassle: www.PennParts.com

The Penn 24-56 about $19 is the power handle with the three hole positions that has the senator style torpedo grip, the 24-55 @ $14 has that rubber grip if you like it.

I think the old bakelite torpedo style knobs also had the 24-55 part number for the three hole power handle design.

The 24-12LT handle or the 24-112H will also work they aren't as long and they are only one position, but they also don't have the counterbalance. For the 501 you might like the 24-12LT handle @ $18.50 better than the bigger power handle.

Any of the accurate boss series handles fit, tiburon makes a handle for them, and the old pro gear handles from the 200 series fit.

I think I got my teflon washers from mcmaster-carr, but if Alan has some shims just the right size for the jigmaster saves you the trouble of trying to figure out what sizes you need.

As far as the newell teflon bearings they work fine for a while, but don't last that long, not much improvement anyway.