Air Travel with rods - how do you do it?

Hungsv

Jul 10, 2019
CA
Name
Hung
Boat
Boston Whaler
How do you travel with your fishing gears on a Yellowtail or Tuna trip?
thanks.

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
thanks.
Not quite sure which part you are asking about. I fly Alaska Airlines and they allow you to check a rod tube and tackle box as a single piece of luggage. The rod tube must not exceed a total length + girth measurement so I stick with an 8' rod tube and 7'6" rods max. My rod tube is a piece of 4" tripple walled HDPE Drain pipe from Home Depot ($12). Weighs next to nothing and you can stand on it.

Is a bit of a challenge to travel with longer rods.

ReelWhite

Local Hooker
Jul 18, 2018
Dana Point
Name
Kevin
Boat
2660WAC Sailfish
thanks.
Travel case for rods that are checked on (will have to pay oversize fee). Bring reels in reel bag/backpack and carry those on. Lures and hooks also need to be checked on.

FishRock

Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
I have had rods shipped to me in cardboard boxes and cardboard tubes.
If they got damaged in shipping the seller or shipper would have to cover the cost of replacing it.

I would not put one on a plane since I own it at that point and the airline is not likely to pay full replacement value. The triple walled pipe is cheap and very effective.

I do carry my reels on in a case and have had no problems carrying all my tackle too. But I only have a small Plano box of tackle.

Last edited:

ReelWhite

Local Hooker
Jul 18, 2018
Dana Point
Name
Kevin
Boat
2660WAC Sailfish
I have had rods shipped to me in cardboard boxes and cardboard tubes.
If they got damaged in shipping the seller or shipper would have to cover the cost of replacing it.
I would not put one on a plane since I own it at that point and the airline is not likely to pay full replacement value. The triple walled pipe is cheap and very effective.

I do carry my reels on in a case and have had no problems carrying all my tackle too. But I only have a small Plano box of tackle.
You able to carry on lures with hooks on them? I've never tried but would feel like those would get taken at security

Hungsv

Jul 10, 2019
CA
Name
Hung
Boat
Boston Whaler
Thanks RealWhile and FishRock again,
Just check with Southwest Airline, and they charge $75 for oversized items(62-80").

FishRock

Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
You able to carry on lures with hooks on them? I've never tried but would feel like those would get taken at security
I was surprised too. Had wahoo bombs and a couple of big jigs with large J hooks. TSA inspected the bag and saw it was fishing gear and just told me to pack it on top next time so they could get to it easier.

Reactions: Almud

FishRock

Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thanks RealWhile and FishRock again,
Just check with Southwest Airline, and they charge $75 for oversized items(62-80").
Each airline is different. Definitely a challenge to transport big items like rods without paying a fortune. I am lucky that Alaska Air still accommodates this stuff.

ReelWhite

Local Hooker
Jul 18, 2018
Dana Point
Name
Kevin
Boat
2660WAC Sailfish
I was surprised too. Had wahoo bombs and a couple of big jigs with large J hooks. TSA inspected the bag and saw it was fishing gear and just told me to pack it on top next time so they could get to it easier.
Damn good to know, thanks

makairaa

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
Travel case for rods that are checked on (will have to pay oversize fee). Bring reels in reel bag/backpack and carry those on. Lures and hooks also need to be checked on.
Not on alaska airlines. Fishing gear is on their exception list. I do reccomend you have the list pulled up on your phone as even some of the counter people do not know their own airlines rules.

Reactions: Hungsv

ReelWhite

Local Hooker
Jul 18, 2018
Dana Point
Name
Kevin
Boat
2660WAC Sailfish
Not on alaska airlines. Fishing gear is on their exception list. I do reccomend you have the list pulled up on your phone as even some of the counter people do not know their own airlines rules.
Good to know, did not know Alaska Airlines is friendly with the fishing gear

makairaa

May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
Alaska is very fisherman friendly and if you have an Alaska CC you can get 1 free bag checked up to six people on your reservation. I just did it to Cabo with the family.
Don't forget the friends fly free program with the card also.

Reactions: bas13

punted coho

Jan 29, 2013
buckley wa
Name
josh
Boat
Yes
6” home built pvc rod tube. Reels and gear goes in checked luggage so I don’t have problems with hooks or line. I’ve heard sometimes line has to be removed from reels for carry on, depending on airline or who’s checking it. Also fly Alaskan and rods are on their list of sporting equipment with no oversized charges.

CaptJgray

Jan 23, 2014
Huntington Beach
Name
Jeff Gray
Boat
hell no....
I fly with 8' rods on Alaska all the time, I use the same shipping boxes that United Composites uses.

UnReel

Nov 5, 2003
So Cal
Name
You couldn't say it anyway
Boat
24' Skipjack open "UnReel"
Plano jumbo airline rod case. Extends from 67 to 112 inches and is 8.5 inch diameter and has wheels on one end. Just picked one up on amazon new for $107 delivered to get some rods to Costa Rica on alaska airlines

Or Flambeau 6095 6.5 inch diameter travel rod case that extends to 112". Can get one for about 60 to 70 bucks delivered.

Chicago Pete

Jan 17, 2012
Homewood
Name
Peter D Womack
Boat
None
I have a Bazuka tube and have been using that for 20 years flying Southwest. TSA opens it EVERY TIME. Minor damage twice. Only lost once, in the Philippines. Never had any real problems, you can collapse it when you get where you're going
It maxes out at 7 feet, limiting my rod purchase and build options. My son recently moved to the South Bay area and I'm
sending him some rods in said rod case. I bought the bigger Bazuka. I can buy 8 foot rods. Finally...

Reactions: Hungsv

DennisV

Jan 4, 2017
Paloma, CA
Name
Dennis Vagt
Boat
Just a NuCanoe Frontier now.
Plano jumbo airliner on Alaska airlines with 7'6" rods.

gspot

Crazy for Cabo
Jun 21, 2007
Orange County
Name
George
Boat
24' Starcraft Bluewater 240 CC, 17' Boston Whaler
I used to do the rod tube thing and pack reels in my carry on when going to Cabo or Puerto Vallarta, but the hassle of carrying 8' rod tubes and a suitcase became a hassle. Especially when trying to get through a crowded airport.

A couple years ago, I bought the Okuma Nomad 3+1 Travel rods. I bring 3 rods with me. 1 Spinning ML set up, 1 Casting ML, and 1 Casting MH. They cover everything from 12 - 60 Lb.

They are all 7' rods but break down to 32". They come with travel cases that have handles and shoulder straps. You can change the tip section of the rod which changes the action and increases the strength. I troll with the Casting MH set up all the time with 65 Lb braid.

I strap all 3 rods together and use as my carry on. I get a free checked bag, so I pack my cooler with clothes and tackle. Reels travel in my backpack as my personal item.

I've been pleasantly surprised with these rods. They have a nice smooth parabolic bend and if you didn't know they were 3 pc rods, you wouldn't notice. I've caught everything from Sierra Mackerel to Striped Marlin on these rods and I don't feel like I left my best stuff at home. For me, it's the only way to go.

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
I have a bazuka tube. I bubble wrap the rods. I do not like flying rods

I have made a rod tube from home depot.

I have used the cardboard tubes for 1 rod.

I think bubble wrap really helps

Appears delta no longer charges a, sports equipment baggage fee. Just regular baggage fees apply.

Surfboards and rod tubes flying as regular baggage. Super rad. Would had saved thousands of dollars in the past

https://m.pinkbike.com/news/delta-a...;utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=fb-like

CaptJgray

Jan 23, 2014
Huntington Beach
Name
Jeff Gray
Boat
hell no....
Cardboard box is free, wrap some towels around the rods so they don't move around. a couple rags or shirts around the ends to protect the tips. I usually put 10-12 rods in the box. Half point one direction and half in the opposite direction. Bubble wrap would work as well but I need towels and shirts anyway. Make a handle with Duct Tape. slap some fragile' stickers on there and done.

Ive been doing this for quite a few years to and from Alaska. have never even seen a dent in the box. I figure if United Composites trusts the boxes for shipping product then its good enough for me.

Reactions: ZZZZZ

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
That sounds good. The rods lay out flat and not on top of each other like a tube. Width has never been a issue. Thanks

Have flown a few rods in a surfboard coffin bag.

Lay lumber later this month. In Alaska. If I score hoo in September. It will be in Redondo. Trade for Alaskan halibut with paps