Air travel with firearms.

Jun 4, 2020
SoCal
Name
Steveooo
Boat
None
Maybe a stupid question??
Pelican cases. Are they acceptable for travel according to TSA guidelines?? Is there anything anyone could fill me in on as far as their experience at LAX for example??
Thanks in advance.

CartridgeCalls

100% Disabled Veteran Owned Small Business
Apr 29, 2015
Palmdale, CA
Name
Curtis Wright
Boat
Duck Hunting Kayak
Just flew through LAX 4 times for trips to AK. No problems at all. I would go with the harbor freight lockable case. Make sure there are two locks with the same key. Check the Airline rules and TSA rules as they can be different on every airline. Shoot me a PM with any questions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phil mckracken

O'side yakker

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 5, 2007
Oceanside, CA
Name
James
Boat
Malibu Kayak
I vote for the SKB cases but Pelicans look great. As long as you can lock it it. Tip: use the TSA locks so they can open it up and inspect it. Because they will. Also bring a couple spare locks because sometimes they forget to put the lock back on.
(happened to me on a connecting flight once.)

Reactions: baja_driver

Cast Gold

hss AHHHH...hss AHHHH....
Jul 1, 2005
Tustin
Name
Kris
Boat
Mike's
Tip: use the TSA locks so they can open it up and inspect it. Because they will. Also bring a couple spare locks because sometimes they forget to put the lock back on.
(happened to me on a connecting flight once.)
I would definitely not use a TSA lock. Never let the case be opened in your absence.

Per TSA website:
TSA said:
Only the passenger should retain the key or combination to the lock unless TSA personnel request the key to open the firearm container to ensure compliance with TSA regulations. You may use any brand or type of lock to secure your firearm case, including TSA-recognized locks.
TSA regulations on traveling with firearms

icscommand

Chief
Dec 19, 2004
Rancho San Diego
Name
Dean
Boat
20' Fish-rite CC
I have had them refuse the TSA Lock. I use the cheap travel combo locks and keep an extra set in my luggage. That way when and if they cut them off you won't pay 3 times the price getting new ones when traveling. If they get cut they'll blame your departure point and there ain't shit you can do. Good luck and hope for the best. No airport has the same policies.

Reactions: Phil mckracken

DOGHOUSE26

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Feb 22, 2004
Escondido, CA
Name
jeff meeker
Boat
26 Blackman Billfisher
I've traveled to Canada for Goose Hunting for 8 years prior to this one and I would purchase at least 4 locks either keyed alike or combination; put 2 on your gun case and keep the other 2 in your carry on baggage. I've had them cut off, I've been paged after checking in to come install another lock on the case because one was missing; and sometimes they only require one lock not 2. Be prepared and don't get too excited

invictus

AVD
May 26, 2006
Orange County
Name
Jason
Boat
Tiara 2000 Cuddy
Yes, Pelican style are perfect. Get two locks and apply them at both lock points. Your case can be rejected at check in if you can partially open it with only one lock attached.

I buy the Master Lock brass case ones with a 4 digit code you set.

I have never had the locks cut or had a problem with TSA checking in the case. I will say Dallas is always easier, there a little more familiar with hunters and guns than LAX😂

O'side yakker

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 5, 2007
Oceanside, CA
Name
James
Boat
Malibu Kayak
I would definitely not use a TSA lock. Never let the case be opened in your absence.

Per TSA website:

TSA regulations on traveling with firearms
You would never let the case be opened in your absence?
Please educate me as to how this is possible. Especially on an international flight.
Not being sarcastic. I don't like people going thru my shit. But it happens.

Thanks

Cast Gold

Jul 1, 2005
Tustin
Name
Kris
Boat
Mike's
You would never let the case be opened in your absence?
Please educate me as to how this is possible. Especially on an international flight.
Not being sarcastic. I don't like people going thru my shit. But it happens.

Thanks
I make all the declarations at the check-in counter, unlock for airport staff to examine the contents, lock the case, and ensure that the proper post-inspection markings are placed on the outside of the case so that all other airport personnel can see from the outside that it was already opened by their own people. I lock the case before they put it on the belt or otherwise take over custodianship of it. If security pages me in the terminal, I accompany the case for secondary inspection, never giving anyone the keys or combination.

Reactions: baja_driver

tunakillerjoe1

Jul 24, 2017
San Diego, Calif
Name
Joseph Gratteau
Boat
Valco Westcoaster
Stupid question, where are the mags/ammo during all this? Full mags, not in the weapon? Empty, outside the box? Ammo? Locks on the pistol? What about disassembly (taking the slide off?) Thanks!

DOGHOUSE26

Feb 22, 2004
Escondido, CA
Name
jeff meeker
Boat
26 Blackman Billfisher
I only have experience with Shotguns; however I would think the only requirement would be ammunition in a separate piece of baggage as there is a separate question for this on your Firearm Declaration Form.

O'side yakker

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 5, 2007
Oceanside, CA
Name
James
Boat
Malibu Kayak
in reply to cast gold. Everything you say is true and I agree with you. With all respect mistakes do happen especially when the govt. contracts out it's security.
I offer the following as my personal experience, Thanks for the discussion, I feel like I have learned from you.

Attachments

Cast Gold

Jul 1, 2005
Tustin
Name
Kris
Boat
Mike's
in reply to cast gold. Everything you say is true and I agree with you. With all respect mistakes do happen especially when the govt. contracts out it's security.
I offer the following as my personal experience, Thanks for the discussion, I feel like I have learned from you.
I'm not at all surprised. I found one of those when I flew back from Oahu with empty 10-rd magazines, but not when I flew with ammo to Anchorage. Nobody should be shocked about inconsistency within TSA procedures.

Reactions: O'side yakker
Jun 4, 2020
SoCal
Name
Steveooo
Boat
None
Anyone have issues with “time” of check in??
as in, I’ll probably have a 6 am flight and will need to check them in around 4 am??
many experience with this issue??

CartridgeCalls

Apr 29, 2015
Palmdale, CA
Name
Curtis Wright
Boat
Duck Hunting Kayak
Check in for firearms is normally pretty quick at all times of the day but I always leave myself a 30 min cushion.

CartridgeCalls

Apr 29, 2015
Palmdale, CA
Name
Curtis Wright
Boat
Duck Hunting Kayak
Thanks. I don’t want to show up at 0400 and have a wild wait time and possibly miss a 0600 flight
Thanks for the info
What airline are you using?

CartridgeCalls

Apr 29, 2015
Palmdale, CA
Name
Curtis Wright
Boat
Duck Hunting Kayak
Yes I had 4 boxes of ammo and 2 firearms in each case. I've flown Delta, United and Alaska with zero issues.

Jun 4, 2020
SoCal
Name
Steveooo
Boat
None
I will add, the main thing I did after inspection was added a tag with name and number so they could call and to be honest, that came at the advice of one of the gals checking the bag. That way, if there’s an issue, they’ll call before destroying lock. They put no other information on the case advising what’s in it.