Well-Known "Member"
Apr 10, 2020
east coast
Name
chunk
Boat
bay liner
Anybody use them? From what I've been seeing, they're effective
at long range with excellent knock down and stopping power.

DennisV

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 4, 2017
Paloma, CA
Name
Dennis Vagt
Boat
Just a NuCanoe Frontier now.
Lewis and Clark used them.

yakdout

Professional
Jun 26, 2014
San Diego
Name
Brandon
Boat
s and hoes
What do you consider big game? I don’t think you’re taking an elk down with a pellet gun.

dragonballs

I'm off probation
Mar 28, 2008
Arlington WA
Name
Vance
Boat
40' ocean sport fisher
Friend of mine has and air bow. It’s wicked. He shot an elk with it

Contractor.aten

Jul 10, 2016
Highland, Ca
Name
Tito Saldana
Boat
Defiance 290
I have 22 and 25 cal PCP and they will kill a Coyote... There are some big bore ones out there that will pack a punch but from the videos I have seen you need to be close. Just saying

Reactions: yakmandan

Kin

o_O
Oct 10, 2010
San Gabriel
Name
Kin
Boat
ODC 420
TBH, they'll work in the larger calibers (keeping in mind distance limitations). However, they cost more than a regular powder gun would.

chunkster

Well-Known "Member"
Apr 10, 2020
east coast
Name
chunk
Boat
bay liner
QUOTE-(keeping in mind distance limitations).

Understanding that I'm reading this correctly.
They're effective from long range. That's from
what I have seen.

Reactions: Kin

dragonballs

I'm off probation
Mar 28, 2008
Arlington WA
Name
Vance
Boat
40' ocean sport fisher
Fell over and didn’t move. Neck shot

la vida

Now I love our Prezzz!!!
Jun 28, 2006
El Cazonn
Name
Frank F
Boat
Boat-less (Sad)
I have been having a blast with a couple 22 Ruger pellet guns. Lots of Ground Squirrels and Cotton Tails at my place. The Coyotes eat well at night when the make there rounds.
Here is one taking a nap in the driveway

Screenshot_20200410-100910_Gallery.jpg

20200410_095008.jpg

Last edited:

gecsr1

28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II"
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II" / PlainJaneRods
I have eliminated many many ground squirrels(rodents) with my 22cal, 10 shoot pellet rifle... accurate to 65/70 yards or more...
and quiet as well....Gammo Swarm Maxxim (not for big game tho)
would but a hurtin to a yote tho...

nefarious235

Aug 1, 2008
Proudly American
Name
Dan
Boat
canoe & plastic flotsam
Air Force Texan SS in .457 kills pigs, deer and preds
Screenshot_20200412-192144.png

BiggestT

Sep 8, 2004
Fullerton
Name
SM
Boat
Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
I have eliminated many many ground squirrels(rodents) with my 22cal, 10 shoot pellet rifle... accurate to 65/70 yards or more...
and quiet as well....Gammo Swarm Maxxim (not for big game tho)
would but a hurtin to a yote tho...
My Gammo Swarm (.177 gauge) is great for removing the woodpeckers that drum on the wood siding of our Montana home during spring. Unfortunately, the break barrel pump mechanism broke the second April of use and I was just sighting in a new scope. It’s covered under warranty and I sent it in, but it leaves me fending off the woodpeckers with a slingshot. I got one today.

Is there an air rifle that can fire semi-automatically with a 10 to 15 round clip?

la vida

Now I love our Prezzz!!!
Jun 28, 2006
El Cazonn
Name
Frank F
Boat
Boat-less (Sad)
I started with that Gamo Swarm. Traded in twice , couldn't get them to zero in. First one 4"right & 6" high. The next one similar, just couldn't dial them in.
Bad scopes but why would I buy a new scope. If you sell with a defective scope why put it on. So I tried the Ruger Max and it worked but its single break shoot. But deadly at my 90' shooting area. The Scope is just barely good but works. I bought a second one for the back door area.
Funny thing is they don't like the same pellets. I have four different types and they all shoot very different by several inches??

Anyway really got interested in shooting and posted dome questions in the gun forums but no responses. So if you can send me some help with my questions.

gecsr1

Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
I started with that Gamo Swarm. Traded in twice , couldn't get them to zero in. First one 4"right & 6" high. The next one similar, just couldn't dial them in.
Bad scopes but why would I buy a new scope. If you sell with a defective scope why put it on. So I tried the Ruger Max and it worked but its single break shoot. But deadly at my 90' shooting area. The Scope is just barely good but works. I bought a second one for the back door area.
Funny thing is they don't like the same pellets. I have four different types and they all shoot very different by several inches??

Anyway really got interested in shooting and posted dome questions in the gun forums but no responses. So if you can send me some help with my questions.
i don't use those scopes that come with . I put 3x9-40 22 ca. rifle scopes, also mine is the .22 cal version heavier pellets and don't break the sound barrier noise...been very happy with mine...

Last edited:

gecsr1

Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
My Gammo Swarm (.177 gauge) is great for removing the woodpeckers that drum on the wood siding of our Montana home during spring. Unfortunately, the break barrel pump mechanism broke the second April of use and I was just sighting in a new scope. It’s covered under warranty and I sent it in, but it leaves me fending off the woodpeckers with a slingshot. I got one today.

Is there an air rifle that can fire semi-automatically with a 10 to 15 round clip?
I think only if you go to those ones with the compressed gas tank and they are very expensive as well... above my budget for a air rifle..

Kin

o_O
Oct 10, 2010
San Gabriel
Name
Kin
Boat
ODC 420
QUOTE-(keeping in mind distance limitations).

Understanding that I'm reading this correctly.
They're effective from long range. That's from
what I have seen.
Its no different than the distance hunters. There are guns and modifications that you can do to really extend the range, but in the end, I feel over the counter PCP wouldn't push enough energy to take down large quarry at 150+ yds.

BiggestT

Sep 8, 2004
Fullerton
Name
SM
Boat
Salsipuedes & Czech Mate

Same here, never been able to zero them in, but get reasonably close. I can get a 4”
Grouping at 50 yards. I just figured it was my poor shooting and bad eyesight.

The Flickr woodpeckers I’m targeting are about twice the size of a humming bird and I can hit em.

The Gammo scopes are crap. The original one had the reticle cross hairs rotate such that they were no longer horizontal, not even close. I looked up a fix on youtube and got it centered but the reticle wires broke, so they never exactly lined up. Gammo sent me a new scope and I was sighting in at 50 yards when the break barrel pump broke. I sent the whole gun back with the old scope, hoping that I’ll just get a new gun and scope. They have acknowledge receipt and said it would be two weeks, which mean it should arrive anytime now. The Flickr’s are in full attack mode on the house right now.

Last edited:

la vida

Now I love our Prezzz!!!
Jun 28, 2006
El Cazonn
Name
Frank F
Boat
Boat-less (Sad)
Same here, never been able to zero them in, but get reasonably close. I can get a 4”
Grouping at 50 yards. The Flickr woodpeckers I’m targeting are about twice the size of a humming bird and I can hit em.

The Gammo scopes are crap. The original one had the reticle cross hairs rotate such that they were no longer horizontal, not even close. I looked up a fix on youtube and got it centered but the reticle wires broke, so they never exactly lined up. Gammo sent me a new scope and I was sighting in at 50 yards when the break barrel pump broke. I sent the whole gun back with the old scope, hoping that I’ll just get a new gun and scope. They have acknowledge receipt and said it would be two weeks, which mean it should arrive anytime now. The Flickr’s are in full attack mode on the house right now.
Yes they should not sell it with South POS scope. Anyway i watched all the YouTube videos also. Its really something how different pellets shot so different and I have two same guns that like different patterns. Only 22 pellets for me.
Its cheap fun but like I said now I have the bug to start shooting again. Want to buy a Glock 9, 10-22 and a AR something? But just checking into it now is a pain.

Baja_Traveler

Serial Lurker
Nov 22, 2005
Table 17, Bay Park Fish Co.
Name
Kai Schumann
Boat
Hobie PA14, Pro-Fisha 525, Solo Skiff
I've been interested in Quackenbush big bores for the better part of 10 years now. I just could never get over the high cost of acquiring one. I can get a custom Shilo Sharps made with high figured wood for less than what most of these air rifles cost.

Reactions: Jim n cali