MustardTiger

Mar 19, 2013
Honolulu/Hawaii/USA
Name
Alec
Boat
23 Tern Cat
Howzit,

Somewhat new to the forum and have been holding off posting until caught something worth sharing. Man was this it. Headed out of K-bay about 5am with my buddy David (super pile), and we headed to U. Arrived and seemed to have the buoy to ourselves so we set lines with our brand new custom bamboo outriggers. (Mahalo for the info on bamboo by the way to those who posted a couple months back). First pass in our 14' Livingston double knock down. Small shibi's and an aku. Got some more rats after a couple of passes and decided nothing big was home so we would follow the birds out. Not a lot going for a couple hours so we headed into the deep blue. Right before we hit about 2000 fathoms, BAM! starboard rigger gets slapped but didn't stick. Then 5 seconds later the port rigger shatters hitting myself in the back of the neck. Hanapa'a! were on. So much for the slightly cured bamboo, gotta go back for some more and cure them longer. At first we both thought it was a marlin, but after about 20 minutes we knew it must be some big shibi or hopefully an ahi by the way it was fighting. We were on 9/0s so the drag was set to baby this thing. Just over an hour later we see color and both start getting real excited. David was on the reel and grabs for the leader. I get the gaff and stick it. Its weight bends the gaff's hook open so David quickly gets a tail rope on it, and after a couple heaves the decks were bloody! Couldn't believe I left my knife in the tool kit at home so we had to bleed it with some scissors. Couldn't even fit it in the bag, so the tail was sticking out. Final weight was 110 G&G. Down one rigger we set lines again and head home. Picked up a small mahi on our way back towards U, and the day was complete with some meat for dinner. Thanks again to David for the action aboard the Troll Toll.

Mahalo,
Alec

photo-5.JPG
photo-10.JPG
photo-12.JPG
photo-15.JPG

Surfdawg

Apr 4, 2013
Kailua
Name
Mike
Boat
Blackfin 29' Flybridge
Way to go Alec & David! The water was awesome on Friday. Nice fish and congrats!

russell kato

"Kamoku"
Jul 24, 2009
Honolulu, HI
Name
russ
Boat
15' Arima - Kamoku
Howzit,

Somewhat new to the forum and have been holding off posting until caught something worth sharing. Man was this it. Headed out of K-bay about 5am with my buddy David (super pile), and we headed to U. Arrived and seemed to have the buoy to ourselves so we set lines with our brand new custom bamboo outriggers. (Mahalo for the info on bamboo by the way to those who posted a couple months back). First pass in our 14' Livingston double knock down. Small shibi's and an aku. Got some more rats after a couple of passes and decided nothing big was home so we would follow the birds out. Not a lot going for a couple hours so we headed into the deep blue. Right before we hit about 2000 fathoms, BAM! starboard rigger gets slapped but didn't stick. Then 5 seconds later the port rigger shatters hitting myself in the back of the neck. Hanapa'a! were on. So much for the slightly cured bamboo, gotta go back for some more and cure them longer. At first we both thought it was a marlin, but after about 20 minutes we knew it must be some big shibi or hopefully an ahi by the way it was fighting. We were on 9/0s so the drag was set to baby this thing. Just over an hour later we see color and both start getting real excited. David was on the reel and grabs for the leader. I get the gaff and stick it. Its weight bends the gaff's hook open so David quickly gets a tail rope on it, and after a couple heaves the decks were bloody! Couldn't believe I left my knife in the tool kit at home so we had to bleed it with some scissors. Couldn't even fit it in the bag, so the tail was sticking out. Final weight was 110 G&G. Down one rigger we set lines again and head home. Picked up a small mahi on our way back towards U, and the day was complete with some meat for dinner. Thanks again to David for the action aboard the Troll Toll.

Mahalo,
Alec

View attachment 499918 View attachment 499919 View attachment 499920 View attachment 499923
Alec,
Nice going on that ahi! Gotta love it catching anything over a hundred pounds on a small boat! Nice to catch an ahi in February....usually a slow time for trolling.r

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Alec and David; I'd trade a broken bamboo rigger for an Ahi any day. Way to go, seeing the 9-0, brings back meories, that's all I had for a few years in the early '90's. Good goin' on the fish.

Cheers
Pat

shinchan

Making other fishermen look good....
Jul 10, 2008
Kaimuki
Name
Randy
Boat
13' Whaler "Shinchan"
Nice fish!!!! WTG on getting an ahi before the summer run!!!

manu-o-ku

Jul 13, 2012
Honolulu, hawaii
Name
luke
Boat
170 Montauk
Great job, gotta love a small boat and big fish. Too bad on loosing one of the riggers. I have been running my bamboo outriggers for a while now with no problems. Plenty fish and many more knock downs. Try using the Aftco adjustable release clips and running guy wires/lines from the rigger to the bow. I think this would prevent future breakage. I'm glad to see someone else tried it successfully after my post. You cant beat the bamboo for the money. Riggers make a huge difference on a small boat's spread.

Bondrvr

GOT A CUSTOM ROD FOR MY WIFE,,,,GREAT TRADE
Feb 12, 2010
Chula Vista
Name
mike
Boat
'99 Albemarle 280XF- Bubba Jean 28; Livingston LV-14 -BABY J
Bamboo gaff!!!

superpile

Captain
May 21, 2012
Kailua, Hawaii
Name
Dave
Boat
Seacret Sauce
Manu-o-ku we had bow lines and adjustable clips. I think it all came down to the bamboo being too fresh, but that's the price to pay to get out on the water...We aren't very patient.