ahi, moano and big island fun

Mingo

Jan 8, 2008
Seattle ("PC central")
Name
Mingo
Boat
in the future
My wife and I spent a week in Kona over the holidays chilling and partying with a lot of beach time and lots of great meals. We spent a day tossing small baitfish patterns at some FADs with the awesome Del Dykes. Unfortunately the FADs were pretty dead and fishing was slow but we still had a great day………….there is a lot more to a day offshore in Hawaii than fish. Too many aggressive dolphin, pod after pod of pilot whales and a lot of sharks made the tuna flyfishing pretty tough.

The pilot whales would line up single file when we would pass, like a military formation. Funny and kind of eery…..cool animals.

We had a couple Galapagos sharks come into our chum line and I got to experience something very cool, albeit far too brief. Del tied one of his own fly patterns on my Cam Sigler heavy flyrod with a wire bit tippet. He had me repeatedly roll cast it into the chum line so it could drift with the chunks. I had a couple sniffs but no takers from the Galapagos sharks……then I got a very heavy take and a couple headshakes from a 7 foot tiger shark! He came off after just a couple seconds, but I got to feel the power of that awesome animal.

It was frustrating dealing with so many hungry whales and dophins and the resulting lack of tuna, but we stuck with it, Del kept pumping chum and I managed to get a couple sashimi-sized football yellowfin to end the day. The weather was awesome, Del was great and the beer was cold….a great day all the way around.

Of course, being the pathetically addicted goofball that I am, I had to try the reefs at every beach we hit and had a hell of a great time catching all kinds of fish on scuds, soft hackles, glowballs, bonefish flies, beads and baitfish flies……awesome shit. You guys know better than anyone how reef environments can be fickle, you can hit 6 and draw a blank and then one that looks no different from the last spots you fished will hold all kinds of fish. I got into several chunky moano, some small papio and lots of wrasse, damselfish and butterflyfish. I love seeing the look on a trout fisherman's face when they hook their first nice weke….surprise! Those suckers will take line and put one hell of a bend in a light flyrod……..if you enjoy that sort of thing.

Here are some shots for those of you who appreciate this type of shoreline report ………a friend of mine who lives here in Seattle asked me once "why do you bother to fish on the shoreline in Hawaii for those weird looking fish?" I just said "man, you don't get it....I love all fish, big and small, the funkier looking they are the more I want to catch them!".……damn I love Hawaii!!!!!!!

Aloha brothers!!!

:)

Attachments

T BICKLE

super cool LA guy
Sep 27, 2007
Culver city
Name
garrett
Boat
16ft ebbtide under construction
wow! beautiful critters you caught there!

CamHat

Jun 18, 2009
Where the fish are.
Name
Cameron
Boat
Float Tube
amazing pictures! nice job
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

mikebk808

Stop crying and CRANK!
Oct 14, 2009
K-town44
Name
Mike
Boat
Still looking
Good going on your catch, I see you have a mix bag of them. What more can you ask for beautiful beaches, good fishing and great people. Glad you enjoyed your stay in Hawaii Nei.

dausualinc

Nov 25, 2008
Honolulu
Name
Kekoa
Boat
30' Knife
Sweet pics! fishing has led me on to two of my new favorite hobbies, cooking and photography. They all compliment each other really well. Thats a great amount of variety you were able to get into, and it looks like tons of fun. I love Kona and its great for light tackle because of the lack of wind.

navyaircrew

Jun 27, 2007
Trollin' Dirty 96744
Name
Scott
Boat
2001 Pro-Line 20 Walk
Hey Mingo... Aloha... man, that pic of you walking into the sunset with your rod in hand is sick... that should be entered into a photo contest... you can almost tell a story by looking at it... sweet!

cheehuli

May 22, 2009
Kaneohe Hi.
Name
Chase
Boat
24' Custom Sampan "Girlie T"
Nice! Nothing wrong with good times spent catching reef fish from shore. way to go with the shibi too. Your photos are freakin awesome. What kind of camera are you using?

hanapaakikijo

Sep 18, 2007
Hawaii
Name
Jeff
Boat
21 Saltwater
Mingo, great color in all of your pics of the fish we grew up catching from the rocks. Always love to read your posts. Mahalo!

Mingo

Jan 8, 2008
Seattle ("PC central")
Name
Mingo
Boat
in the future
Mingo.. forget the lures dude... what camera are you using and what lens??? nice pics!
Thanks for the kind words guys! Our cameras are just little compact digitals....Canon Powershot SD880IS Digital Elph models. We use the "beach" setting or sunset setting depending on light, glare etc. Nothing fancy, just the goofy stock lens they come with. My wife is far better at the photos than I am, and looks a lot better IN them than I do!

Thanks fellas! :)

cheehuli

May 22, 2009
Kaneohe Hi.
Name
Chase
Boat
24' Custom Sampan "Girlie T"
Mahalos for sharing. Kinda funny how you don't need a fancy SLR type camera to take great photos.

aj1976

Apr 14, 2008
kaneohe
Name
aj
Boat
23 Seacraft
Yeah, very nice shots Mingo. Nice colors and water shots. Way to get 'em with the fly rod too.

molokaipake

May 8, 2008
Kaunakakai, Molokai, USA
Name
capt clay
Boat
24 foot power catamaran, "Hallelujah Hou", 18 foot Prima Sea flatsboat, "Keu" for flyfishing
I always say, fishing is what counts, not how big a fish you bring in, of course big is good, but not if it's not edible. Thanks for the great posting job, nice to see someone really appreciate Hawaii for the little things as well as the big. Main thing is appreciate the Creator of it all too.

Have a fishy 2010 and hope to fish with you one day. Flyfishing is picking up this year so maybe when you decide to come I'll have it all dialed in....<><

BuonaForTuna

Jul 27, 2008
Glendale Ca
Name
Jesse
Boat
BuonaFortuna 26' Seaswirl Striper
Great pictures and a real variety of catches. Makes you miss the islands.

Ahnkochee

King of Mokolea Rock
Feb 3, 2008
Mokolea Rock
Name
Uncle Ji
Boat
17 Outrigger Kanu "Makule Akule"
Awesome pictures, I especially like the one of you fishing the shore with the sailing wa'a kaulua in the background, true Hawai'i right there. I also like all the nice size Kupipi (Grey Damsels) you caught on fly rod, some call them "Hawaiian Bluegills", pretty decent eating fried up. What weight rod were you using for the reef fishing?