Ahi 1 - Rookie 0. Friday 7-5

kenai

Aug 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Ron
Boat
25 Davis Bahia -- All In
I haven't fished very much here in Hawaii and would like to thank those of you posting info since that's how I'm learning along with the help of Capt Don who has steered me in the right direction many times.

Figured since it was so nice out, we would launch out of Hawaii Kai and run the ledge towards Diamond Head first thing. Had one Ono strike (teeth marks gave it away) and then trolled to HH. Only one boat there and no fish on the meter, so we headed to BO. Same here, one boat working the buoy and no love. We then trolled to outside Waianae. Don't really know where the Pinnacle is that everybody mentions, but found a 2700 ft seamount in around 7500-9000 feet of water about 7-10 miles off shore, so figured that might be it. We trolled around a bit and then started trolling towards Barber's Point and about 30 minutes later we finally hear the drag peeling line, everybody worked to clear the other lines. The fish came in fairly easily (about 20 minutes) and along side the boat it was. Just as I'm ready to reach down with the gaff, it darts under the boat and runs backwards either hiting the trim tabs or engine and there she goes.
I've read a lot on this board about paying your dues and we tried to do everything right, but it won it's freedom. Odd thing was the line parted below the lure (actually got it back since the line was bent at the breaking point and the lure couldn't slide off) so maybe a Crimping issue???
There weren't any other boats in the area so here are the coordinates of the hook up. I know this may make some people happy and possibly other not so much. Just trying to help those of you out looking and thinking they may not be around the area.

21 20 160
158 19 109

It bit a 9 inch Blue and Silver outer skirt and a Pink, Yellow, White inner skirt.

Thx,
Ron

shadzdad

Aug 6, 2010
Wahiawa,HI USA
Name
Darren
Boat
building one
Ron always tough to lose em at the boat but you'll get em next time. When I fish on boats with shaft, sometimes we leave em in gear so the ahi can swim along side the boat instead of doing his death circles and possibly cutting line on the rudder, prop or shaft. Every boat is different and I'm no expert but I'm sure that others will reply with better tips but that's just what I know.

kenai

Aug 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Ron
Boat
25 Davis Bahia -- All In
Thanks, we had the boat in gear doing about 1 1/2 knots to 2 knots. Next time probably will try out of gear and engine up.

Hij

Aug 1, 2011
Mililani HI
Name
Jason Hijirida
Boat
25 Force, PAIGE H
Hi Ron, sorry to hear about your Ahi. I usually run the boat at 3-4 knots all the way till we leader. That way the fish can't do circles and is usually worn out by the time we get it to gaff. I know lots of people go dead in the water and lift the leg. I guess everyone has their own techniques. Its great you got the bite, that's the hardest part, now just get a gaff into it! Hope you get to go again soon. You'll get the next one. :)

Missgen

Nov 20, 2010
Hon hi us
Name
Max
Boat
Meijun
Sorry about the lost ahi, better luck next time. We all know what your going through its just part of the game. If it makes you feel better we lost 2 that way last week.

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
Nov 29, 2004
San Diego
Name
Carl
Boat
everyone elses
Bummer about the getaway. I'm curious about how you were rigged. I can't picture having line behind/after the lure. Pic?

changboy

Nov 9, 2009
Honolulu
Name
Brian
Boat
"PARIS C" 23 sportcraft custom
Ron, ask questions here on BD, every fish is different and learn from every fish that you catch or loose, yea I lost two at leader last week too so Im also still learning. Then theres those that do whatever and still land the fish.

russell kato

"Kamoku"
Jul 24, 2009
Honolulu, HI
Name
russ
Boat
15' Arima - Kamoku
Ron,
Sorry to hear about the lost ahi....like many have said, it happens. My neighbor and I lost 2 ahis at the side of the boat within a matter of 1 hour. Live and learn.....my neighbor did a great job on the last two we caught a week and a half ago. Sometimes it just a matter of learning through experiencing. You'll get yours...keep your ears open for info on the fishing action, get on the water and have faith! BTW, the Pinnacle is approximately 12.5 miles from the harbor. The coordinates are:

21 21 18N
158 23 20W
Good luck!

manu-o-ku

Jul 13, 2012
Honolulu, hawaii
Name
luke
Boat
170 Montauk
Ron, Loosing a fish at gaff is never easy. Try to learn from it and let it motivate you to get em next time. BTW You guys covered some major ground, way to go.

thebigdog123

Jan 30, 2012
honolulu
Name
mike
Boat
none
Often if you don't peg your lures, they ride up the leader when the fish swims. Could be your lure was several feet up the leader when it got cut
on the boat. The kink in the end of the line saved your lure, but am sure that's little consolation. Next time.

kenai

Aug 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Ron
Boat
25 Davis Bahia -- All In
Thanks for all the replies guys. I look to be heading out again soon.