Hardcore
Jun 8, 2014
Hardcore
www.youtube.com
Name
Hardcore
Boat
Hardcore
Ive been wondering when somebody would see it the way i do.I wouldnt consider that bullying by any means but i am a dumbass so what do i know.I just see a lot of boats fishing the same small area so i wonder who bullied who first ?
I'm glad you finally realize your a dumbass. That's the first part of recovery

Upvote 0

marlyn

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Dec 18, 2005
    So Cal
    Name
    mark
    Boat
    21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
    Im not sure whats surprising about this,Helgrens has been a tweaker operation for years,its not news.If any landing in socal deserves to lose their lease its these guys.I personally had my wallet stolen on the boat years ago by a tweaked out crew member and his deadhead girlfriend,if it is not in your pocket or bolted down they will steal it.I dont wish any ill will on any landing but this ones had it coming for 20 years,assaults on passengers,drug use,theft etc etc,helgrens needs to go,they are a negative on the sportfishing industry and they seem oblivious to any wrongdoing by any of their crew.

Upvote 0

Rock20

Jul 15, 2009
    newport
    Name
    Nick
    Boat
    Dingy
    Wah wah wah sound like a bunch of children, he's a big bully cause he came close to me yet sport boat captains have to deal with the little fiberglass flies everyday especially when they find the fish in the first place and you just follow them, then there's the other private boaters Thant think there better cause I know you are all saying you can't lump us in with all the other private hoaters that do that cause I find my own fish in my private boat and I'm better they should respect me, save it crybabies until you all show respect to them your all lumped together, bunch of cry babies

Reactions: Hookdown
    Upvote 0

GregorXr

Oct 5, 2012
    Temecula
    Name
    Robin Boyer
    Boat
    Patients Boat!
    I just got off the oceanside 95 and i am sorry but wish i could of got a refund. Lets us fish for 5 minutes then goes. Fish for 5 minutes then goes. Just seems like you pay then dont fish. The people seemed alright but just the way they operate. Maye helgrans should go get a new company in there.

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
    Oct 18, 2012
    San Diego
    Name
    Tanner
    Boat
    1997 Proline 23 W/A
    Well Debi, I do have small Yamaha syndrome. I spent all summer driving around the Horseshoe Kelp in my tiller steered 14ft Valco. This off-season I'm going to apply bright orange reflective tape (maybe 2" or so)... all the way around the boat. I came close to being run over several times out there, and I'll admit my little boat probably didn't belong way the hell out there, but I couldn't resist the yellowtail bite and absolutly slammed them on the surface iron.

Is this ironic or what. The closest call I had all summer was up on the 105 when a very well known San Pedro 6-pack charter boat came very close to running me over. The hell of it is my business partner sold this individule the boat about 15 years ago. He didn't mean to, he just never saw me...Hopefully I'll have a bow rail on it next year, and never leave the inshore waters again.
    Have you ever beach launched from La Jolla? I've seen a nearly identical Valci there hunting Wahoo. My buddy has a 15ft Gregor with a Zuke DF20, fun little boat. Very scary sometimes, but fun.

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
    Oct 18, 2012
    San Diego
    Name
    Tanner
    Boat
    1997 Proline 23 W/A
    I just got off the oceanside 95 and i am sorry but wish i could of got a refund. Lets us fish for 5 minutes then goes. Fish for 5 minutes then goes. Just seems like you pay then dont fish. The people seemed alright but just the way they operate. Maye helgrans should go get a new company in there.
    If you are fishing yellows, this is common. Would you rather sit there on anchor while the yellows swim a mile away or keep moving and follow that school. Better chance when you're running and gunning.

That is just an unfounded complaint.

Upvote 0

GregorXr

Oct 5, 2012
    Temecula
    Name
    Robin Boyer
    Boat
    Patients Boat!
    How do you catch a fish if the bait is in the water for literally a minute or two? Its not possible i am not a professional angler but the bait needs to be in the water to catch a fish. We could of drifted the paddies for a half hour or so. Nobody got to fish the whole day and we all paid over 150 dollors. Ill use my own boat next time after this trip. Not bashing but thats to much money to pay and not fish the whole day. Wish i could of recorded it. I would of rather spent it on dinner getting laid lol. Been more worth it unfornetly.

Reactions: Jr.
    Upvote 0

Jr.

Winning!
    Feb 14, 2006
    San Diego
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    Hatteras
    1981924442_e12c0beb14.jpg

ALL YOUR SPOTS ARE BELONG TO US!

Upvote 0

af dreamer

Apr 16, 2007
    long beach,ca
    Name
    tom
    Boat
    44 luhrs dreamer
    If you pay money to be taken out to fish and you dont believe in the guys that get paid to do it for a living and depend on fish counts by all means stay on your own boat!Some days they just dont friggin bite!The guys can tell if conditions are not right and to move to another location.They know what is needed for fish to bite at those spots.Christ,when I owned the Dreamer and Al was running the boat I sometimes thought that he thought the anchor was a yoyo as we would anchor and re anchor on some spots 2-3 times.Conditions conditions conditions.Tom

Upvote 0

s//m_cinco

Jun 25, 2009
    CA
    Name
    X
    Boat
    X
    Wah wah wah sound like a bunch of children, he's a big bully cause he came close to me yet sport boat captains have to deal with the little fiberglass flies everyday especially when they find the fish in the first place and you just follow them, then there's the other private boaters Thant think there better cause I know you are all saying you can't lump us in with all the other private hoaters that do that cause I find my own fish in my private boat and I'm better they should respect me, save it crybabies until you all show respect to them your all lumped together, bunch of cry babies

This is comical. I've had boats from that landing roll up on us offshore a few times when I've called friends in on bites. Really pathetic. Not sure why anyone would follow those idiots around but I guess flies are attracted to shit.

Reactions: Matthew Zimmerman
    Upvote 0

Matthew Zimmerman

Fun Haver
    Mar 14, 2015
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Matthew
    Boat
    11 foot Caribe
    This is comical. I've had boats from that landing roll up on us offshore a few times when I've called friends in on bites. Really pathetic. Not sure why anyone would follow those idiots around but I guess flies are attracted to shit.
    sport boats that roll up on a private boat to steel fish=kooks

Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
    Aug 5, 2003
    LA
    Name
    Kerry
    Boat
    Yellow spot
    How do you catch a fish if the bait is in the water for literally a minute or two? Its not possible i am not a professional angler but the bait needs to be in the water to catch a fish. We could of drifted the paddies for a half hour or so. Nobody got to fish the whole day and we all paid over 150 dollors. Ill use my own boat next time after this trip. Not bashing but thats to much money to pay and not fish the whole day. Wish i could of recorded it. I would of rather spent it on dinner getting laid lol. Been more worth it unfornetly.

Can't say what happened that day on the O95 since I wasn't there but I understand that frustration.

That said I have fished with some great skippers on days that went exactly like that and heard all the whining about we didn't even stop at that paddy or why didn't we stay longer trying to hook fish after a jig stop. It is because all those boats have scanning sonar and the skipper makes that call on what he sees on the meter given the conditions. Certainly some skippers are better than others but they all want to catch fish. If you are second guessing the skippers decisions you are most likely wrong and need to seriously consider that. If after giving any particular boat a couple shots and still don't like it then get on another boat.

Upvote 0

GregorXr

Oct 5, 2012
    Temecula
    Name
    Robin Boyer
    Boat
    Patients Boat!
    Private boaters were drifting catching fish. Ughhh i need my boat running and another gas tank lol.

Upvote 0

Rabid Fish

Jun 27, 2004
    Southern California
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    26'

You have no clue what you're talking about. I worked on sporties for years. We were charged, bumped off a spot, yelled at, given the finger by, etc etc. by exactly 0 private boats.

On my private boat, doing nothing wrong and operating responsibly, I have been charged, flipped off, etc etc. by sporties as many as 3 times in a single day.

Besides the obvious pattern of sporties acting like dickheads, there's also the relative blameworthiness... when private boats fuck up, it's ignorance more often than not. Sport boat captains can't plead ignorance. When they do dangerous and/or rude maneuvers, they intend to do it.

Your claim that things would change if we all showed them respect is naive and idiotic. They don't give a shit about our respect. They don't give a shit about us. If you're going to blame the victim when private boats are the victim, then I guess by your logic we should start fucking with the sport boats as much as we can, because "until they all show us respect, to us they're all lumped together." See how that works? Right, it doesn't. Courtesy needs to go both ways, and as of right now, having been on both sides, it goes one way far more often than the other.

Upvote 0

makairaa

May 1, 2005
    Tustin CA
    Name
    Philip Hunkins
    Boat
    17 starcraft
    You have no clue what you're talking about. I worked on sporties for years. We were charged, bumped off a spot, yelled at, given the finger by, etc etc. by exactly 0 private boats.

On my private boat, doing nothing wrong and operating responsibly, I have been charged, flipped off, etc etc. by sporties as many as 3 times in a single day.

Besides the obvious pattern of sporties acting like dickheads, there's also the relative blameworthiness... when private boats fuck up, it's ignorance more often than not. Sport boat captains can't plead ignorance. When they do dangerous and/or rude maneuvers, they intend to do it.

Your claim that things would change if we all showed them respect is naive and idiotic. They don't give a shit about our respect. They don't give a shit about us. If you're going to blame the victim when private boats are the victim, then I guess by your logic we should start fucking with the sport boats as much as we can, because "until they all show us respect, to us they're all lumped together." See how that works? Right, it doesn't. Courtesy needs to go both ways, and as of right now, having been on both sides, it goes one way far more often than the other.
    Talk to booger on the san diego or the captain of malahini and see if they agree with your assessment that the party boats are the bigger problem. It is a circular argument. Both sides are in the wrong and each blames the other. I also have problems believing you were minding your own business if you were charged, flipped off, etc 3 times in one day. And yes I do have a personal list of boats I will not patronize and give no leeway to because of things they have done while on my boat, but it never occurred 3 times in a day.

Upvote 0

Rabid Fish

Jun 27, 2004
    Southern California
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    26'
    Talk to booger on the san diego or the captain of malahini and see if they agree with your assessment that the party boats are the bigger problem. It is a circular argument. Both sides are in the wrong and each blames the other. I also have problems believing you were minding your own business if you were charged, flipped off, etc 3 times in one day. And yes I do have a personal list of boats I will not patronize and give no leeway to because of things they have done while on my boat, but it never occurred 3 times in a day.

That's pretty much what I said

Now, I like Booger, never really knew him well just worked at the same landing

Want me to tell the story? Here ya go

bout 3 weekends ago everyone and their mother was working a porpoise pod about 3 miles across some 15-20 mi W of SD

We were getting a double here, triple there, and we get a jig stop, I brail a handful of chove and the stern blows up. Here comes the Chubasco (major asshole capt'n) right up toward my stern. Sure enough I look up a minute later and he's still heading right towards us, and I had to laugh where there's a deckhand pointing the gyros right at as, from a distance where I wouldn't even have to shout for him to hear me. They pull up right on us and start throwing bait, customers lines go in, we take off. That's one.

I'm thinking "if I were a worse person, I'd be cornholing them all day, but hey it's not the passengers' fault their captain is an asshole, they're just nice people enjoying a day off, let em fish, right?" Right as I thought that, here comes Booger from behind us as we're trolling. He's moving a couple knots faster but is right alongside, maybe 50-70yds off our starboard side. I look left and there's another boat flanking our port side. The SD (presumably Booger) angles ahead of us, cuts us off, spins the boat and the deckhands start throwing bait. Now I got 4 lines dragging behind, and a boat on my left, nothing I could do but continue straight which meant going across their stern. There wasn't time or room to do anything else. Now I know what happened -- they metered a school ahead of us and beat us to the punch, but the captain knew we didn't do anything wrong. Unfortunately, when the people on the deck (who don't know shit about boat operation) start waving their hands in the air giving us the WTF vibe, of course the passengers follow suit hollering and giving the finger.

I mean I had just gotten done thinking the customers weren't the problem when the Chubasco did it, now just to make things ironic here's about 50 people yelling at me and flipping me off. I'm a really nice guy, last guy to start shit with anyone, and I know I didn't actually do anything -- still feels pretty crappy to be cussed at and flipped off by 50 people. Kind of a downer, really.

Anyway get back on the troll get a bait stop going and get cornholed by the Chubasco again that makes 3. We had enough tuna at that time and got out of the combat zone by around 11.

I've done a bit of combat fishing -- I prefer to avoid it but sometimes that's all that's really going on. This day wasn't as bad as those days when 50 boats are trying to run and gun ahead of one pod of ponies and throw bait -- that's really the worst. This day was just a lot of boats working a truly huge area of porpoise. Didn't have any issues with other private boats, who outnumbered the sporties at least 10-1. But did have 3 pretty annoying incidents with sporties.

So that's how it went. Maybe we were just unlucky but it was 3 times in one day by 2 different boats and we didn't do a thing wrong. And I know and respect Capt. Booger, but even he will do impolite moves to get on the fish. I don't fault him for being aggressive but if the question is whether the sportboats are bullies or the private boats are cornholers, sure there's a bit of both but there's no question the bigger problem is with the sporties. No question at all. And when I worked on sportboats that bully attitude was always present.

Reactions: s//m_cinco
    Upvote 0

Rock20

Jul 15, 2009
    newport
    Name
    Nick
    Boat
    Dingy
    rabid fish you are truly a fish God and we should bow down to your fish superiority, I can tell you were the best pinhead wherever you tried to work on and Just got made fun of by all the other deckhands and said screw you guys and I'll show you how good I am on my own dingy, all sport boats will look at private boats and see if there's fish just to the fact that they can easily take that school with there 40 scoops of bait no problem from them just like you private donkeys will come literally 10 feet from our stern corner when we found a kelp that was holding tonnage and 25 private boats poach, deal with it cry, cry about it, and move on, if your so good and catch fish all the time buy your own boat and take people out, but oh wait then you would be complaing how all these private boat donkeys messed your bite up and caused you your living

Reactions: Rabid Fish
    Upvote 0

@-EZ

Fail, try again.
    Apr 9, 2007
    San Diego, CA.
    Name
    Max
    Boat
    Trophy Pro, @-EZ
    rabid fish you are truly a fish God and we should bow down to your fish superiority, I can tell you were the best pinhead wherever you tried to work on and Just got made fun of by all the other deckhands and said screw you guys and I'll show you how good I am on my own dingy, all sport boats will look at private boats and see if there's fish just to the fact that they can easily take that school with there 40 scoops of bait no problem from them just like you private donkeys will come literally 10 feet from our stern corner when we found a kelp that was holding tonnage and 25 private boats poach, deal with it cry, cry about it, and move on, if your so good and catch fish all the time buy your own boat and take people out, but oh wait then you would be complaing how all these private boat donkeys messed your bite up and caused you your living

I must admit, that is the longest single sentence I ever tried to read. Congratulations.

Upvote 0

aguachico

Jul 20, 2004
    El Lago Tijuana
    Name
    Art
    Boat
    Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
    I have had times on the water when sporty captains made bone head moves. For the most part, I have had more private boaters display dick head moves than sport boats as there are more private boaters OTW. I try to give sporties as much room as possible, only when possible, but sometimes they cause the problem. Looking at all those people on the deck of the sporty, I am just thankful they do not own skiffs and are at the landing. Imagine if there were an extra 100 boats at the launch and bait line?

Dickhead sport boat skippers should be reported to the landing and CG. They are just normal guys and are not above the common code of decency and respect.

Reactions: marlyn
    Upvote 0
    Status
    Not open for further replies.