Offshore Afternoon/evening Bluefin hunt 7/13

ediggity

Almost A Member
Nov 5, 2010
Los Angeles, CA USA
Name
Edwin
Hope this helps... heard it's been a late bite so we launched out of Dana Point at 11.30 AM and planned to stay thru sunset. Headed offshore and found beautiful blue water just a couple of miles from the harbor. Plan was to head toward the 267, then 277, and possible possibly Mackerel Bank. At 2.00 we found a boil about 2 miles north of the 277. Some smaller boils but some epic ones........ and like the other stories go......... we could not get near them. We were very careful to sneak up on them and shut down at a distance... no-go. They would sink out very fast. We even tried charging one... no go. There were maybe 2-3 birds on these boils...a nd with white skies it was very hard to find them. But the birds definitely followed the fish. After a bunch of tries (15-ish boils) at guessing where they were going, we got lucky and they seemed to be about 200 yards away, then 100 yds, then 50 yds away... so we we tossed about 5 scoops of sardines out and got ready.......... sure enough, we had them in front, back, and both sides of the boat - the screen was lit up!!! With 4 guys fishing, 2 were fishing sardines, one was tossing a colt sniper, and the other was on a popper. ZERO hookups. For some reason this was the last time we saw them... we moved around looking for boils, birds or marks in that area, but after 30 minutes of looking, they were just gone.

Long story short, we spent the next 7 hours moving/searching/waiting for more boils and marks and didn't any more BFT. Don't think we saw another tern either. Water was 68-70 pretty much everywhere. We did meter a lot of bait balls. Water was beautiful and almost flat... we were able to run 30 most of the day and as fast as 38. Wind never picked up.
We did not see any evening/sunset boils. Radio was quiet, but the few people we heard seemed to find a BFT boils with the same results.

The real kick in the nuts was finding maybe 20+ paddies, with 6-7 being massive "dream paddies" - and zero hookups. We also dove on them in hopes of spearing a few YT, but sure enough, no one home on any of them. it was very odd.

As always, it's awesome to be on the water with friends and see these awesome fish destroy bait and fly out of the water!!! Hopefully soon we'll find the right school that's cooperative.

bft.jpg

gettingbentwithbo

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
Mar 7, 2009
Riverside
gettingbentwithbo.com
Name
Bo
Boat
16' Starcraft SF SS
"That's Tuna Fishing"

Reactions: Mateo el Flaco
Upvote 0

ltran0614

May 8, 2013
Orange
Name
L Train
Boat
27' Farallon Whaleback & 27' Radon LRB
Upvote 0

Mackinlay

Sep 15, 2014
Name
Andy
Boat
None
Yup.... I was out around and past the 277 yesterday also in a small cc and there were beautiful paddies everywhere. Dream paddies is exactly right. Only nightmare paddies as none were holding anything but tons of bait. Thinking anchovy as I could single my bait out as it swam with the ball
We also slid in slow and fast and even when we let them come to us they would look over give a wink and keep on swimming. Lol

Reactions: ediggity
ediggity
ediggity
that's exactly right. we felt lucky to have them crashing all around for 30 seconds. but that feeling waned quickly. lol
Upvote 0

rhgusman

Salty Dog
Sep 9, 2012
CA
Name
Rob
Boat
A Salt Weapon
thanks for the report! I'm planning on taking my two sons (13 & 15) and heading out tomorrow with @clizza . Just don't know if we should head out of SD, DP, or fish CAT? Want to get the boys fish, just want the best chance to catch to keep them stoked on fishing. They have been on a few skunk trips last season and are getting jaded seeing all the fish but not getting them in the boat...

Reactions: Isaltyvair1980
Upvote 0

ediggity

Almost A Member
Nov 5, 2010
Los Angeles, CA USA
Name
Edwin
thanks for the report! I'm planning on taking my two sons (13 & 15) and heading out tomorrow with @clizza . Just don't know if we should head out of SD, DP, or fish CAT? Want to get the boys fish, just want the best chance to catch to keep them stoked on fishing. They have been on a few skunk trips last season and are getting jaded seeing all the fish but not getting them in the boat...

Well, it's all or nothing with BTF... plus the paddies are dry. So if I were you I'd go out of Oceanside or SD.... at least there's a chance with the paddies that way... or you get lucky with a BFT. Or, hit Cat.... the fishing is great there right now... lots of options and not likely to get skunked if you settle for calicos or rockfish. If "catching" is more fun than "fishing" then it's prob Cat from your 3 options.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Donkey Nick

Jul 16, 2012
Hollywood, CA, USA
Name
Nick Shamrock
Boat
Shamrock 246 Walkaround
Catalina is your best, for sure. Pm me if you want...

Upvote 0

watersdeep

I CATCH IT. I KILL IT. I CLEAN IT. I DON'T DELIVER
  • Jan 19, 2016
    LB
    Name
    Jed Venture
    Boat
    the twisted ducker
    Hellyes PM him

Upvote 0

karlow

Twins 2017
    Apr 29, 2004
    Duarte/Covina
    Name
    karl
    Boat
    20' skippy Topless /17' whaler Wet Ride (sold) /18' Outrage
    If you want the boys to have something to pull on, there has been a great cuda bite on the shoe for three weeks. You can also get bit at Cat, but the BFT is mostly just a $$ boat ride. Maybe SCI for a better shot at some tails. FYI Joe went to the shoe six days running and got cuda and bass on each trip.

Wasitrytofish

May 1, 2012
    Monrovia ca united states
    Name
    Glen Mitchell
    Boat
    Sea Fox 248 Commander
    My boys fished Sunday and Tuesday at Cat. All live squid.
    Sunday- of morning rising side- 2 yellows lost. One at deep color, one at gaff.
    Tuesday- just one big fish never seen but surely another 25lb yellow.
    Barracuda on the mint jigs and plenty of bass on the bait.
    all between Frog and Long point.
    All in 65-90 ft of water. Never ideal uphill conditions. One of my trusty sources says this weekend should be good. Attached for your review.

DD409FAC-DEF9-4E73-91FA-637F81940E93.jpeg

Reactions: Hey-19
    Upvote 0

Ryan_J

Apr 5, 2013
    Long Beach, CA
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    Jupiter 31 - twin Yamaha F300's
    Me and two buddies did the exact same thing on Tuesday between Cat and SCI. Maddening!!!!! Can't wait to do it again....... :jig:

Upvote 0

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
  • Feb 19, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    25ft Skipjack fly
    Great details with your report. Unfortunately this happens to all of us. Next time

Upvote 0

Joe jordan

Emily C II
    Jun 5, 2007
    Arcadia
    Name
    Joe
    Boat
    Parker 2320 SC
    Garmin GT51M-TM. Reads bottom well at 1000+. Nothing special but I’m happy with it.
    Awesome, I also ran the GT51-TM great transducer. How deep were those fish on the meter? I'm setting up a new Garmin system for my new boat and I'm thinking about using the B175M medium frequency same as the GT51-TM.

Upvote 0