AFTER THANKSGIVING HALIBUT CLASSIC 2015. GET YOUR TEAMS READY, IT'S ON!!

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
A couple of people have asked me about this, so hope this clears things up.

The entry forms, rule page, as well as all other info pertaining to the tournament can be found at the tournament website which is.....

www.halibutclassic.com

Hope that helps!! ;)

The unknown fisherman:p:

Upvote 0

Black-is-Back

Wishin i was Fishin
Jun 21, 2009
So Cal
Name
Hey you
Boat
245 Fisherman open “Bloody Anarchy”
Mike.

Having never participated in the halibut classic,

I have a couple questions about some of the rules and how they came to be.
I have no problem with them, its more curiosity than anything.

If I read it right there is no fishing south of MB jetty?
Curious why that rule is in place. Assuming its logistically just easier to manage?
And no, I do not have any honey holes I want to target south of MB. LOL

IGFA rules apply. NO Gang (double or treble) hooks are permitted to be fished in this tournament.
The rule itself is self explanatory and makes it more sporting, I like that.
The question I have is with the hook up ratio much higher using a treble on a trap rig "In my personal experience" than a single J or circle hook,
How is this rule enforced? With more than $5,000.00 on the line, It would seem this rule is going to keep the honest guy's honest and some others, not so much...

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
Feb 27, 2003
Soul Cal
www.sandiegofishing.com
Name
Mike
Boat
Kencraft CC
Mike.

Having never participated in the halibut classic,

I have a couple questions about some of the rules and how they came to be.
I have no problem with them, its more curiosity than anything.

If I read it right there is no fishing south of MB jetty?
Curious why that rule is in place. Assuming its logistically just easier to manage?
And no, I do not have any honey holes I want to target south of MB. LOL

IGFA rules apply. NO Gang (double or treble) hooks are permitted to be fished in this tournament.
The rule itself is self explanatory and makes it more sporting, I like that.
The question I have is with the hook up ratio much higher using a treble on a trap rig "In my personal experience" than a single J or circle hook,
How is this rule enforced? With more than $5,000.00 on the line, It would seem this rule is going to keep the honest guy's honest and some others, not so much...

Hey Dan, not a bad question as I have had this asked nearly every year, and to be honest, you pretty much figured most of it all out to begin with. ;)

Ok, so yes the boundaries are very much a logistical thing and about being able to keep much better tabs on the group of boats/teams fishing the tournament.

It's also partly about keeping it true to the actual beginning of when and how the tournament took place and was started.

We do many times have a boat or two (often that most nobody knows about) keeping tabs and watching things. The boundaries being directly North of the jetty makes it much easier for any tournament control boat to go out and check the teams and areas, and even if need be, take some on the water photos.

I know and am well aware that many of the guys have some of their favorite spots south of where our most southern boundary line is drawn, but at the same time, I have now had some guys over the years thank me for helping them to find some new hot spots, or even pull their best halibut ever during this tournament, as it has made some guys fish out of their normal hali comfort zone. It often times, ends up showing them that there are halibut in many other places along the coast.

The fishing boundaries run from straight out of Mission Bay (including all inside waters of Mission Bay), to all the way North to Oceanside. That is alot of miles of prime Hali grounds right there, although the vast majority of guys will normally stick to within maybe 1 to12 miles at most from the MB jetty, as the closer you are to the Jetty, the more actual fishing time you will have to try and connect with that winning fish and make it back in time for weigh-in.

As for the gang hooks or treble hooks...... the rules have slowly been tweeked over the years, and yes, you are entirely right in that it's about keeping it very sporting & challenging.

This tournament has evolved into a pretty solid group of repeat teams over the past 16 years. Sure we get some new teams every year and highly encourage anyone to jump in while there are spots open. The thing with this tournament and some others, is that the camaraderie and sportsmanship is at a high level here.

There is a great deal of mutual respect among all of the competing teams IMO. It's entirely about honor, being truthful, respecting your fellow teams, and going out on that given day with the rules set forth, and although having fun, it's also about trying your best within the guidelines set in place to outdo and outfish your fellow friends and bros, and come home with the victory.

I know that all probably sounds highly corny and maybe even stupid to some, but I myself am and always have been very highly competitive...... it was actually brought up as a joke by my best man in front of everyone at my wedding,just how competitive I am, as nearly everyone who knows me well enough, knows I HATE losing LOL.

That said, I have the utmost respect for all other competitors and those who beat me at things.

I have known a huge amount of the guys in this tournament for quite a number of years now, and have the utmost faith that nobody in this tournament would ever dare think to even cheat, because if it were ever found out that someone did, I surely wouldn't want to be them. They would be so heavily blackballed within the fishing community it wouldn't be pretty or worth it, and they would probably wish to trade in their rods n reels for golf clubs,knitting materials, drones, or who knows what, because fishing would have no place for them anymore. I have no (zero) sympathy or tolerance for those who try to cheat others in a tournament.

To just add to all of that, we also can, at any time, pull up to any tournament team boat and check a boat while fishing, for use of treble or double trap hooks....... just saying.

Basically it all mainly boils down to honor, respect and having a good time among a bunch of what I'd like to think are good solid people & friends!

Hows that Dan..... does that work? LOL

So are ya in!?? ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Black-is-Back

Wishin i was Fishin
Jun 21, 2009
So Cal
Name
Hey you
Boat
245 Fisherman open “Bloody Anarchy”
Thanks Mike.

Yes that works LOL

I was in before I asked the question's :D

I do have a few rules of my own. It is MANDATORY If we get boarded and checked for compliance, the person inspecting our boat has to drink a beer before they leave. So please, no non drinking enforcement officers. ;)

Is the team name Fatty Flatty taken? :-)

I've been practicing the last year or so.
alaska-309-jpg.529080

Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    Looks like Billy V has upped the talent level on his boat and added a ringer.......LOL

Mikey give me a heads up when you might be cruising by the store or are gonna be home. I'll give you the early entry $ for 3 and across the board on JP's.

$295 if I read it right.

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
    Feb 27, 2003
    Soul Cal
    www.sandiegofishing.com
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Kencraft CC
    EARLY ENTRY REMINDER!!!

THERE ARE 7 DAYS LEFT TO GET YOUR EARLY ENTRIES IN TO MEET THE EARLY ENTRY DEADLINE FOR THE REDUCED ENTRY FEES. MAKE SURE AND GET THESE IN PRONTO, AS AFTER THE 18TH THE ENTRY FEES GO TO THE LATE ENTRY FEE PRICE OF $60 PER ANGLER.

MUCH OF THE WEBSITE HAS BEEN FIXED WITH HELP OF ADI "MAD LAMB" ALTHOUGH THERE ARE STILL SOME THINGS THAT NEED IRONING OUT.

THE PRINTABLE ENTRY FORM ON THE WEBSITE HAS BEEN FIXED, AND IT NOW SHOWS THE CURRENT AND CORRECT P.0. BOX NUMBER, SO ALL IS GOOD THERE. THANKS ADI!!!!!

IT'S WINDING DOWN HERE GUYS, WITH JUST 17 DAYS UNTIL THE TOURNAMENT, SO GET THOSE TEAMS TOGETHER AND GET YOUR ENTRIES IN SOON........ IT'S GONNA BE FUN!!!

AND PLEASE HELP SPREAD THE WORD, AS I AM RUNNING THIN ON TIME RIGHT NOW, AS THIS IS PRETTY MUCH A ONE MAN SHOW. ALSO IF ANY OF YOU HAVE CONNECTIONS TO SPONSORS WHO MIGHT WISH TO DONATE A THING OR TWO TO THE AFTER WEIGH-IN GIVEAWAYS & PRIZES PLEASE LET ME KNOW, AS I CAN ALWAYS USE HELP THERE.

THANKS!!!

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
    Feb 27, 2003
    Soul Cal
    www.sandiegofishing.com
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Kencraft CC
    **REMINDER**REMINDER*REMINDER**

5 DAYS LEFT TO GET YOUR EARLY ENTRIES IN!!!

REMEMBER, ALL ENTRIES RECEIVED AFTER NOVEMBER 18TH WILL BE AT THE LATE ENTRY PRICE, SO GET THOSE ENTRIES IN SOON!

NOTICE: YOU MAY SUBMIT A MINIMUM 2 ENTRIES BEFORE THE EARLY ENTRY DATE, AND THEN IF NEED BE, ADD ADITIONAL ANGLERS TO THE TEAM LIST FOR THE SAME EARLY PRICE.

ANYBODY EITHER LOOKING TO CREW ON A BOAT, OR HAVING A BOAT AND LOOKING FOR CREW CAN POST UP HERE, AND MAKE IT KNOWN.

PLENTY OF ROOM RIGHT NOW FOR NEW TEAMS AS WELL!!

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
    Feb 27, 2003
    Soul Cal
    www.sandiegofishing.com
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Kencraft CC
    One more thing I almost forgot. I am going to try and get some entry forms & rule pages printed up and avail at Dana Landing Tackle (on Mission Bay) as well and hopefully by tomorrow. That way, for some of you who may have computer or printer issues, then you can just shoot on over to Dana Landing tackle and pick up an entry and get it in.

Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    Mikey, I'd like to make a suggestion. I'm doing it on here so other participants can give input; as opposed to calling you.

Can you maybe streamline the weigh in, awards hooplah this year.

At the end of the day we're tired and ready to split. Any fluff that prolongs things should be axed in my and several other participants I've spoken to minds.

Quick raffle for worthy items like rods and reels award the winners their checks and vamoose. Bada Boom, bada Bing.

It would lighten your load with coordinating all that, and putting together umpteen bags with bumper stickers and small miscellaneous items like hats that we'd rather not hang around another hour to get.

I do appreciate your effort and the sponsors, I hope this comes across as constructive.

Btw....Billy V wants hamburgers again.

Upvote 0

KnotyBuoyz

Not so newbie anymore
    Jul 22, 2008
    SD County
    Name
    Randall
    Boat
    27x10
    Mikey, I'd like to make a suggestion. I'm doing it on here so other participants can give input; as opposed to calling you.

At the end of the day we're tired and ready to split. Any fluff that prolongs things should be axed in my and several other participants I've spoken to minds.

Quick raffle for worthy items like rods and reels award the winners their checks and vamoose. Bada Boom, bada Bing.

It would lighten your load with coordinating all that, and putting together umpteen bags with bumper stickers and small miscellaneous items like hats that we'd rather not hang around another hour to get.

I do appreciate your effort and the sponsors, I hope this comes across as constructive.

That comes across as very constructive Carl, well done.

I can only imagine how tuff it must be to stand around and watch winners collect their awards, so I have to ask, would you be willing to hang out a little longer if everyone got a participation trophy?:D

Reactions: soul troller
    Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
    May 4, 2004
    santee ca.
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
    If you had a keg of beer most would stick around till it was dry....just sayin.:cheers:

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
    May 4, 2004
    santee ca.
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
    Checks in the mail Mike.
    Ill get anglers to sign entry morning of.

Upvote 0

LTBOLTMAN

Team Tail Chasers
    Oct 15, 2006
    San Diego
    Name
    Leoman
    Boat
    Davis Bahia 25 Pilot House

or.......Mike, its too much work to try and fish the tournament (breakdown :()and then run the awards event...I know you pull this off to my amazement, but stay on shore, have everything ready to go, relax, have a beer, put Tail Chasers name on the checks, and its done :)

Reactions: Carl
    Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
    Feb 27, 2003
    Soul Cal
    www.sandiegofishing.com
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Kencraft CC
    Definitely going to try and speed up the process this year, so we'll see what happens.

Gotta remember, there are also many who do like the giveaways and hanging for a bit, so it goes both ways.....one thing I learned long ago, ya can't please em all! ;)

I did stop fishing the tournament quite a few times years back, but honestly it sucked bad for me. This whole tournament came about from my competitive gene I acquired, when me and some buddies were fishing the same day after thanksgiving.

I love competition and being right in the mix giving it my best I can, plus my longtime fishing partner Vinny, has been in this thing with me from the beginning and always wants to fish it with me even though I pretty much screw him over by not concentrating hard on fishing, and always coming in early to get things ready for weigh-in.

Well see what happens, as this year I have my girls with me, so I haven't decided what I will do, as I might not be able to fish it myself this year, which does bum me out some.

All that said........

THERE ARE 3 DAYS LEFT TO GET THOSE EARLY ENTRIES IN TO ME TO QUALIFY FOR THE EARLY ENTRY PRICE.

ENTRIES RECEIVED AFTER NOVEMBER 18TH WILL BE AT THE ADJUSTED LATE FEE PRICE.

ALL INFO PERTAINING TO ENTRIES, RULES AND TIMES, CAN BE FOUND ON THE TOURNAMENT WEBSITE. WWW.HALIBUTCLASSIC.COM

THERE IS STILL PLENTY OF ROOM FOR NEW TEAMS TO ENTER.

Upvote 0

LTBOLTMAN

Team Tail Chasers
    Oct 15, 2006
    San Diego
    Name
    Leoman
    Boat
    Davis Bahia 25 Pilot House
    The check is in the mail and I fixed my white running light yesterday, so everybody watch-out!

Upvote 0

polfishski

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Oct 5, 2008
    Descanso
    Name
    Tom
    Boat
    20 SkipJack (Tail Chaser)
    The Tail Chaser and the four of us are ready, our money order and entry form will be at the post office in the am. See you at the tourney Mike. Thanks for putting this event together.

Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    I'm out, Mike.

Cannot commit to anything right now.

Good luck to those who participate.
    Damn......There goes $100

Reactions: LTBOLTMAN
    Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
    Feb 27, 2003
    Soul Cal
    www.sandiegofishing.com
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Kencraft CC
    Holy crap, I think I'm going crazy at this point LOL

OK, TODAY IS THE FINAL DAY OF EARLY ENTRIES AT THE REDUCED ENTRY PRICE. AFTER TODAY, ALL ENTRIES WILL BE AT THE ADJUSTED PRICE WHICH CAN BE FOUND ON THE TOURNAMENT WEBSITE.

There is still plenty of time to jump on in, so throw together a team and come join the group for a fun day of fishing!!!!

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
    Feb 27, 2003
    Soul Cal
    www.sandiegofishing.com
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Kencraft CC
    ***9 Days left until tournament time!***

We're winding down here and getting close to that time. There is still plenty of time to jump on in, so get those entries mailed in soon, and save on the day of event entry price.

**Reminder** All mailed entries MUST be received by November 25th - No Exceptions.

All entries after November 25th will be at the adjusted late fee price.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
    Feb 24, 2003
    East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
    Name
    starts with an "M".....
    Boat
    #1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
    Mike, is there still room for another boat?

Upvote 0