After South Beach 2.17.2008

Discussion in 'Florida Sport Fishing Reports' started by apollobeachsam, Feb 18, 2008.

1. apollobeachsam

apollobeachsam Newbie

Name:
    sam
    Boat:
    ECC Caimen
    Hello Fellas... love the site.. I found out about it at the Miami Boat shows at the Boldwater booth.:)

------------------
    In an never ending quest to get you entertaining fishing report this report begins with yet another road trip. Dave(Dph) hasn't been on one these road trip excursions in 5 years. We made plans to fish this weekend "somewhere" over a month ago.

It just so happens the Miami boat show was this weekend. I've never been to it and people tells me it was the boat show of all boat shows. Naturally I wanted to check it out. Optimizing our time between fishing the tides and the boat show, our plan was to fish Chokoloskee then head over to fish Biscayne, then to do the boat show. I must admit, on paper it's an ambitious plan indeed.

1:30am Friday morning I awake to load the gear into my now 190k miles 2002 truck. (The truck has seen better days and I'll be looking for another vehicle soon. ) I'm on the road by 215am and at Dave's house at 3am. We load our gear and switch tow vehicle, and was on the road again.(yes there's song like that)

We get to Chokoloskee in time to see an everglades sun rise at 6:30am.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As the sun breaches the sky line, we drove the old Mirage2 into the glades once again. The tide was low this day. After a good run, and bumping bottom more than one time, we stopped near a creek and immediately see life. There were an abundant of bait around and small fish popping in the mangroves. Using the trolling motor we worked the shoreline, Dave with a jerk bait and I with the Mirrordine.
    For 30minutes we were baffle at the lack of hits. I looked at the water temperature it was was 65 degrees and I figures I had to move further back into the creeks for warmer temperatures.

We made the move but it wasn't getting any warmer. We worked the shore line some more but it just wasn't happening. Right before we left Dave hooks into a baby Tarpon. This was a nice surprise but that was it for that stop.

[​IMG]

We ran further back into the back country and worked near creek mouths. The sun was bright and heating up the water now and things were starting to happen. I get a couple of small snook and a jack. Dave pulls in nice golden color trout.

[​IMG]

We started spooking reds and catching lots of small snooks. I finally land a nice overslot red on the mirrodine. The fish ate it right in front me which made it ever more special.

[​IMG]

We caught a few more small snooks but the bite has slowed down. Besides an alligator that stalked us for a bit the excitement of the day was done. The bite was sporadic but we did manage a boat grand slam so it wasn't all bad. We made the long run back to the ramp about 2pm. We had to head east fo check into our hotel and get some rest.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next day 5am was the wake up call. We loaded up the boat and headed east to fish Biscayne bay for bone fish. Dave has never caught a bone fish and we were gonna give it go today. After dropping in the boat by 7am we were greeted with the Miami sunrise.

[​IMG]

We ran to a nearby shallow flat. We shut down near the edge of the flat as we rigged our gear. We set up, up wind and worked our way down. Soon were up on tailing bone fish. I poled and Dave was on the front deck. We worked the tailers for 30minutes with no success. Soon the water level has fallen and they have vacated the flat.

We made a run further north to catch the tide. I picked a random spot on the gps that looked fishy. As soon as we stopped the motor, we spook a nice pod of fish. An excellent sign indeed, well at least lucky. I poled around the shallow flats. The water was skinny here, my Mirage was hitting bottom at times.

We started to see pushes of pods of bone fish. We cast at 3 pods with out any takers... the 4th however we had a hook up. After a nice long fight with the 10lb leader we boated Dave's 1st bone fish at 1030am.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After a few pictures we did a high five and decided tp end it on a good note by calling it day. We drove back to the hotel to drop off the boat and get cleaned up. 3pm we were in South beach looking to get to the Miami boat show. While waiting for a friend I took some typical tourist snap shots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The boat show as just enormous. Everybody and everything was there. I could go on and on about it. I could post you pictures of the all expensive not many of us could afford etc, but I'm sure there's plenty of that going around already. :) Instead I will say next year I will plan on visiting it 2 days instead of one. It was just too much to see in one day.

We left the convention center around 7ish hope to get bus ride back to the parking. Instead we ended up walking quite a ways. That was ok though, it was fun and I could use the exercise. We stopped at "Big Pink" to eat and I down a couple Fosters.

More tourist snap shots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We continue this adventure at the water front bar. We bumped into some Miami boat show people there. I even caught some doing the "Electric Slide".

[​IMG]

The band shut down and people were still partying the night away. I must add I'm kinda jealous of one convention guy that seem to have been lucky enough to get down with a nicely chosen partner that night.

Actually I was just practicing my motion blur camera technique. As you can see with the flash it seems to stop the motion, freezing people. However with out the flash they seem to be in motion. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The night winded down after the band quit. We manage to make it back to the hotel for a couple hours of sleep before getting up again at 5am. I must say I did not feel as good this morning as I did the previous morning. A couple of ibuprofen and cup of black coffee, goes a long way on mornings like this.

We were at the ramp by 6:45am and headed off to the flats we had found the bonefish the day before. Today however the wind had shifted. It was now coming from the south east pushing water in. The tide was almost non existence today. We waited and waited for the water to dropped but it never did. On a flat we saw so many fish the day before, today looked to be barren. By 11am we we called it a bust and made the 4 hour drive heading back to Tampa.

The fishing gods frown upon us this windy day. I guess 2 out of 3 days of catching fish and cramming all this in a 2.5day wasn't too bad at all. Had a great time Dave.. just don't wait another 5 year for another road trip. Someone once said, this is your one shot at life, and you don't get a dress rehearsal. :)

2. fisherbaby

fisherbaby Newbie

Name:
    Andy
    Boat:
    wow some very professional pictures!!!

3. bubbasfishinco

bubbasfishinco Bubba

Name:
    Evan
    Boat:
    21' 6" Key West Bay Reef
    hey hey hey she is pretty Hot:Pelvic_Thrust:

4. bubbasfishinco

bubbasfishinco Bubba

Name:
    Evan
    Boat:
    21' 6" Key West Bay Reef
    but my step sis is hotter

5. The Notorious S.U.A

The Notorious S.U.A Newbie

Name:
    jorge
    Boat:
    none

wow.

all time right there.

so lets get some pics dude.

6. vinsp

vinsp Newbie

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    29' Island Boats, Aluminum Catamaran, Cheers
    Nice report and great pics
    Thanks

7. stowaway

stowaway Newbie

Name:
    Neal
    Boat:
    16foot Caralina Skiff
    Thats a crazy time for you down there wild man and look you caught some fish to.

8. Florida

Florida Newbie

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    17' Boston Whaler/15'6"gheenoe
    I thought you knew about this site sam?

9. Ali

Ali Master of Nothing Admin

Name:
    That Guy
    Boat:
    31' Innovator
    Thanks for the Post Sam!

It was nice BSing with you in Mia.

Keep them coming and shoot me that address!