cj5orion

Build it...Remodel it...Go Fishin/Huntin/Baja
Jun 21, 2007
pacific beach/Gonzaga Bay
Name
Bert
Boat
gone baja
Been workin on this sucker all day...no paycheck.

Went to La Jolla kelps the other day,engines runnin good up and back.
Just as I get into the channel,,,dies,,,fricken nasty rocks left and right.
Before I threw the anchor,got her restarted,,,throttle up,,,dies.
Restart again,,,limped in at "no wake speed",thats all it would do ? and she was runnin jus good and fine,idles good,throttle up... she dies,restarts right away

plugs good,gas good,carb butterflies good,prop good ????

Anybody...thoughts,(helpfull,not the usual bd stuff...thank you)
ideas
etc
Its an old 87 2 stroke...no I cant jus go spend $10k+ to replace it

Upvote 0

Nick

215cc Triumph
Aug 4, 2004
san diego
www.sandiegoanglers.com
Name
Nick
Boat
bad habit
Sounds like a bad fuel problem. Try draining the float bowls and changing out the fuel filters.

Reactions: dragonballs
Upvote 0

Fishbones

Your wife thinks about ME
Nov 7, 2005
Chula Vista
Name
Rich
Boat
One Off 28' Custom Built Skipjack (SOUTHWESTERN) & 18' Sylvan (Short Runs)
Vent clogged or bad primer bulb or fuel pump. Does it run good while squeezing the bulb?

Reactions: plj46
Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
Yes on what the post above says.Fuel pump,primer bulb or even a leaking fuel connector at the motor or gas tank.Leaking air not fuel.

Upvote 0

Steveo77

Steveo77
Apr 22, 2012
Rancho Cucamonga CA
Name
Steve
Boat
Grumpy
I had an 84 merc that did the same thing. Replaced all the fuel lines and filter, flushed the tank, AND made sure the vent line was routed in a way that it didn't create a trap.
Problem solved.

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
Fuel issue for sure. Pump, lines, tank, something.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

polfishski

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 5, 2008
Descanso
Name
Tom
Boat
20 SkipJack (Tail Chaser)
Could be a small particle stuck in the main jet. Often will idle but not enough fuel when you unseat the needle.

Reactions: dragonballs
Upvote 0

cj5orion

Jun 21, 2007
Name
Bert
Boat
gone baja
Sooooo.....After hooking up an aux tank,checking vents,cleaning/replacing filters.
took her out to Fiesta for a trial run.
Started her up,still on the trailer,running good,dock it,park the truck,go for a ride.
cranked her to half throttle....all good !...get half way round the bay,throttle down,pop a beer,"ya...got her !",throttle up,PROBS BACK !
limp around for a bit,heading back in.
stupid sailboat tacking all over the place in front of me,I say " F it" and give her another shot around.
Throttles up again,I throttle down...probs back again.
I'm Lost !!!!
??????

Upvote 0

mullet

Metal Fabricator
Jan 10, 2006
Brookings Oregon
Name
mike
Boat
19"Gregor
Squeeze the bulb when the problem starts.If that makes it run,it's either the fuel pump or a clogged or restricted line under the cowling.

Upvote 0

polfishski

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 5, 2008
Descanso
Name
Tom
Boat
20 SkipJack (Tail Chaser)
Remove one of your carb bowls. If its not clean you have just found your problem most likely. Just because you have a filter before the carb does not mean the fuel has not broken down and turned some of your parts rusty and crusty on the inside. It does not take long for this to happen under the right conditions. The alcohol, methanol, corn juice or whatever they call it leaf licker gas sucks period.

Reactions: bent rod todd
Upvote 0

Slater

cuss on Monday,pray on Sunday,dream about one day
Jun 1, 2006
Lakeside
Name
Rob
Boat
sold! / cattle boat
Do you leave gas stored in your carbs or run them dry after your trips???

Upvote 0

aquasport18

aquasport18
Jul 30, 2012
san diego ca 92117
Name
the brusier
Boat
21 ft stealh vip cc.
Take your carbs off put them in the sonic cleaner , or take em apart rebuild them wit kits the most important part of rebuilding them is the reddish gtr inch rubber washer that goes on last then the bowl . blow them out after you clean low jet and high jets a spec of fuel line or dirt in high speed jets will do that replace all fuel line new bulb and ck the small o ring on the fuel connect the plastic one if that little rubber black o ring is not perfect it wll suck air at high speeds . if that doesnt do it rebuild fuel pump . not better ck powerpack then coils . run the number 2 carbon clean in your fuel every other tank .get it at west marine 15 bucks my outboard loves the shit . thats all i know good luck youtube tells how to do those things . luvn fishes to all b

Upvote 0

Carpfisher

Chief Cook & Bottle Washer
Jul 3, 2012
Carpinteria
Name
Paul
Boat
226 Cabo Cuddycon, 16' Bayrunner
Kinda weird since it ran good all day. Two stroke with dieing problem past idle...
My 83 70 Johnson had 2 problems that caused the same thing. Worth checking.
First is timing advance, Old brown grease solidifies and stator gums up, doesn't advance timing. easy check easy fix with a puller. Other rare weird thing, 3 cylinder will idle fine on 2 cylinders and die when put in gear. Not your problem though I'm sure. Otherwise it wouldnt idle when in gear and with drag on the prop.

Mine had been sitting. Splashed boat, idled fine at home on muffs.not a hint of I'm missing a cylinder (I thought), put in gear dies, unsplash, weeks to figure out between fixing cars at work., bottom cylinder dead, but got spark and comp.?
Switched top and bottom carbs, dead hole now on top cylinder.
Fix carb, now got 3 good cylinders.
Slash boat .idle and slightly off idle to mouth of harbor, give gas dies, restart give gas dies, do this for half hour before she roared to life and fished all day.
WTF ??? Got a million wrong responses till I asked the old timer.
BAM problem solved, ran great till the day I sold her !!
Two strokes gotta have timing advance.....good luck.

Upvote 0

PACIFICPUNISHER

Biscuit Buster
Sep 4, 2009
So Cal
Name
Moondog
Boat
PARKER 2320 "HOTLINE"
Most older 2 stroke outboard engines have a fuel pump that works off crankcase pulse it's a diaphragm looking thing. When they get old they will start to crack and go to junk. What happens is your outboard will run off the fuel that was pumped with prime bulb once that fuel is burned up is when your prob starts. The fuel pump diaphragm is usually located at the end of your fuel line on the outboard side mounted to the engine. Let me know If you have any more questions or need help. I'm 99.9% sure this is your prob. Good luck

Upvote 0

cj5orion

Jun 21, 2007
Name
Bert
Boat
gone baja
Most older 2 stroke outboard engines have a fuel pump that works off crankcase pulse it's a diaphragm looking thing. When they get old they will start to crack and go to junk. What happens is your outboard will run off the fuel that was pumped with prime bulb once that fuel is burned up is when your prob starts. The fuel pump diaphragm is usually located at the end of your fuel line on the outboard side mounted to the engine. Let me know If you have any more questions or need help. I'm 99.9% sure this is your prob. Good luck

Wouldnt the primer suck up if it was the pump ?
Hell I'll gladly get a rebuild kit,,,but I cant just start throwin $ at it.
And...YEA !...I need help !
This is quickly getting "over my head" !
I have NEVER succesfully rebuilt a carb,(if thats whats needed?),much less 3 of em

Last edited:
Upvote 0

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
Wouldnt the primer suck up if it was the pump ?
No,have you tried running the boat while somebody keeps pumping the primer bulb ? I had a similar problem once.We kept the motor running by squeezing the primer bulb.I drove 30 minutes like that back to the launch ramp.The fuel pump was bad,it would idle fine but trying to run it hard it would die.

Upvote 0

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
Tried that yesterday,by myself ?
bulb was always hard and full ?
Take the fuel pump off and take it apart,its easy to get to and probably the cheapest fix to start with.Dont start taking carbs apart until you know the fuel pump is bad or good.I replaced my fuel pump in 15 minutes.

Upvote 0

dragonballs

I'm off probation
  • Mar 28, 2008
    Arlington WA
    Name
    Vance
    Boat
    40' ocean sport fisher
    i had a temp sensor go bad that would not allow me to throttle up but that was on a newer four stroke. not sure if the older two's have these.

Upvote 0

cj5orion

Jun 21, 2007
    Name
    Bert
    Boat
    gone baja
    yea...read up on that...seems easy
    lookin up replacement today,should be a cheap part.

But the "randomness" of the prob,,,cant fiqure that one ?

OK ordered...25-28 bucks got the whole replacement not jus gaskets....its an old motor

Last edited:
    Reactions: plj46
    Upvote 0

cj5orion

Jun 21, 2007
    Name
    Bert
    Boat
    gone baja
    kinda peeved here.
    "new fuel pump",from marine engine co,is nothin more than a generic gasket kit.

crap....trying to remove the "carb cover"...2 bolts on the bottom...bout 1/8 turn to loosen and tighten...no friggen room to work ! Damn I hate that kinda shit !!!

Upvote 0