Affordable room for the weekend in Avalon?

RodRage

Share the stoke!
Sep 7, 2017
Surf City Ca.
Name
Huntington Hillbilly
Boat
Chaparral 224 Fisherman
Planning a trip to take the wife over to Avalon for a weekend it will be her first crossing on a small craft and there’s no way in hell I’ll get her to sleep in the cuddy, looking for something affordable. Hoping to head over Friday before the wind get Checked in and acclimated so I can fish early Saturday morning spend time with her mid day then again Saturday afternoon - head home early Sunday. I finally got her hep to the idea after seeing pics from my last trip and I want to make damn sure she has a positive experience, Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, Thank you gents!

82155860-0393-4B32-93CB-F54BE30EEDC9.jpeg

324EAFD4-FA58-4F90-A6F9-4871337E7516.jpeg

A1DF217C-DAF5-41BB-95BA-BF0601FF82FB.png

Last edited:

Capt.C.Delany

The only fishing I do is trolling the Internet
Jun 22, 2014
No Grave But the Sea
Name
Hugh Jassole / The Porcelain Punisher
Boat
Paddy Wagon 24' Skippy
Last time I spent the night on the Island we stayed at the Pavilion Hotel. Prices were fairly affordable. Rooms were kind of small because it was an older building but it wasn't that big of a deal. Bed was comfortable.

They have a really nice courtyard area with lush greenery with sitting areas and they did like wine and cheese get togethers. I am sure all the hotels do it but they have packages for spa treatments etc.

Overall, if I were to go back I would stay there no question.

Not sure how it has changed with COVID etc, but just my .02.

RodRage

Share the stoke!
Sep 7, 2017
Surf City Ca.
Name
Huntington Hillbilly
Boat
Chaparral 224 Fisherman
Last time I spent the night on the Island we stayed at the Pavilion Hotel. Prices were fairly affordable. Rooms were kind of small because it was an older building but it wasn't that big of a deal. Bed was comfortable.

They have a really nice courtyard area with lush greenery with sitting areas and they did like wine and cheese get togethers. I am sure all the hotels do it but they have packages for spa treatments etc.

Overall, if I were to go back I would stay there no question.

Not sure how it has changed with COVID etc, but just my .02.
Yeah ain’t looking for a crack house I don’t mind throwing down a few bucks if I get what I pay for but as a first timer I don’t want to go over there blind and empty my wallet!

plj46

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
I've stayed at the Hotel St. Lauren.Reasonable with the price.Nothing special.I'd stay there again.It's up the street a little further not on the water.

Reactions: RodRage

RodRage

Share the stoke!
Sep 7, 2017
Surf City Ca.
Name
Huntington Hillbilly
Boat
Chaparral 224 Fisherman
I've stayed at the Hotel St. Lauren.Reasonable with the price.Nothing special.I'd stay there again.It's up the street a little further not on the water.
What is reasonable? I just looked up pavilion for next weekend and there’s nothing available, Other hotels listed on the site I was on are at $300 and up and that dog ain’t gunna hunt, we got the gear for tent camping but like I said I would like to make her first experience crossing and hanging either on the beach or shopping while I fish a good one😉

Last edited:

irob2

Sep 26, 2010
S.D
Name
robert
Boat
REEL ADDICTION/STRICTLY BUSINESS
Pavillion was nice

invictus

AVD
May 26, 2006
Orange County
Name
Jason
Boat
Tiara 2000 Cuddy
Pavillion is about as nice as it gets there. The rooms are all generally small and dated. Pavillion has a good breakfast and nice court yard with a fire pit, the staff is solid. Rooms are clean, and you don’t spend much time there anyway. And almost always, expensive.

Not sure with the ‘Rona what is available, but Air Bnb/VRBO has listings and condos in Hamilton cove, that would be more to spend time at the condo, with the pool, Hamilton cove beach and all.

2Fisted

Sep 25, 2018
Huntington Beach, CA
Name
rob
Boat
Boston Whaler
Last summer I stayed at the Mac Rae hotel (which I see in your first pic) Rooms are small it’s an old building but clean and comfortable. Easy walk to the shops, bars, beach and pier to get a ride to your boat.

Hooops

Nov 26, 2005
Huntington Harbour
Name
Hoops
Boat
17ft Whaler Montauk - "TYFISH"
Seaport Village cheap - or stay a couple nights and check out vrbo in Hamilton Cove - a few more bucks but great 2-3 day adventure - lots of condos come with golf cart to get in and out of town

DonnieD

Shit...where's the beer
May 27, 2015
SD
Name
Donnie D
Boat
FINBOMB
Found an Air BnB. In the apartments in back of town. BUT....Came with a full use Golf cart. That fucker kept backfiring and scaring the shit out of people...was worth the price of admission no doubt!! - Or call Clarence at Hunt and Associates. I've rented from him 20 times...has a ton of different sized properties.

Surfersteve79

Aug 13, 2018
San Diego
Name
Steven
Boat
Aztec
Catalina Island Inn is $125 a night in Avalon. They have remodeled and it’s nice and quaint. More $$ for rooms with Bay Views but best bang for the buck. Some others in the $160 range and then it jumps $100+ a night at the rest. Pretty busy but it’s peak season over here right now.

Noah & Scoot

Wishin I Was Fishin
Dec 15, 2008
Menifee
Name
Scoot
Boat
18’ CC Baja
Absolute must is the lobster trap, up the street from the green pier! Super cool vibe and food! If open! Stick boat boys were in there when we were, definitely local spot.
Everything on the island is pricey! We slept on my CC , it sucked ass. But to be at Avalon at sunrise, priceless!

Reactions: DonnieD and RodRage

chiefen

Jun 15, 2009
torrance ca US
Name
jake
Boat
parker 2320sl
Have stayed at both Hotel Metropole and Seacrest Inn and they are both pretty nice and comfy. Metropole has a nice Jacuzzi on the roof/top deck overlooking avalon which was pretty cool. But at both places your looking at in the $300 range a night. Also you needa book asap as most hotels get sold out over the weekends in the summer months pretty quick. Good luck and have fun

kevina

Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
Check out VRBO (Vacation Rental By Owner). There's no middle man taking a cut of the $$$$. Some of the VCBO condos over their even come with a Golf cart for use during your stay, That alone would cost $$$$$$ If you had to rent one.

Reactions: C-4 Fishing

C-4 Fishing

Feb 4, 2014
Name
Dave
Boat
Kayak
VRBO
Have done hotels and the VRBO option and will never do the hotel thing again at Cat.

have fun and be safe brother