RodRage

Share the stoke!
  • Sep 7, 2017
    Surf City Ca.
    Name
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat Name
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    All this talk of safety and the amount of boats that have been upside down this season has me ready to purchase an EPIRB and put a ditch bag together, Lots to choose from not sure what would be the best fit for my tub. Suggestions??

Upvote 0

HookEmDanO

Huhuhuge member
  • Jan 31, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Dan-O
    Boat Name
    1997 Trophy 2352
    my old one "expired" in 2016, so I bought a new one in 2016..

I bought a ACR RLB-41 model#2831 for $370...this one you can replace the 10 year battery by yourself

Upvote 0

yakmandan

May 30, 2007
    AZ.
    Name
    DAN
    Boat Name
    19ft Bayrunner Baja
    I have a PLB I like the idea of being able to take it with me if I go on someone else's boat
    I carry it on me when I'm on my boat weather I'm alone or not
    I also carry a ditch bag that has a hand held VHF radio

Reactions: RodRage
    Upvote 0

ShadowX

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Oct 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Anonymous
    Boat Name
    None
    The ACR PLB is a much better device for smaller boats and personal use.

If you go hiking or biking into desolate areas, it can help save your life. I have a friend who is lost in the mountains for past month by himself. If he had one of those devices, he could have been found safe. There is a good chance he is not alive anymore because he didn't have a device like that for emergencies and the weather was over 110 degrees. You can break a leg, fall down a hill or get bitten by a snake and nobody will be there to rescue you. His body may be found one day, but it may be years later or never.

It is the cheapest $350 insurance you will ever need to buy. You need to get the Aqualink or ACR ResQLink 425 floating PLB if you are planning to use it in water. Don't forget to register it and update the information if your contacts change. With a press of a button, they would have all the info on you and the contacts and that can be difference between life and death.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Kwohlers8

Anchor Point
    Dec 1, 2012
    Fortuna CA
    Name
    Kris
    Boat Name
    25' Skipjack Fisherman "Anchor Point"
    Anybody have any experience with Garmin inreach? They look interesting. I run an epirb, but when it’s time to replace batteries, I may look a little harder at the Garmin.

Reactions: oceanjake
    Upvote 0

RodRage

Share the stoke!
  • Sep 7, 2017
    Surf City Ca.
    Name
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat Name
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    This video sealed the deal in my decision to carry a PLB on me when I'm on the water.
    Yeah that’s the kind of stuff I think about the night before going offshore, my first season really venturing out and I realize you can’t be too safe. stopped by West Marine today just to take a look going to the sit down tonight get on the inter-web and look at what you all have suggested, Gotta love the BD community..... THANKYOU gents!

Upvote 0

middleofnowhere

Gopher Killer
    Sep 16, 2008
    Yucca Valley, CA USA
    Name
    Scott
    Boat Name
    Twin Vee "MamaMia"
    Anybody have any experience with Garmin inreach? They look interesting. I run an epirb, but when it’s time to replace batteries, I may look a little harder at the Garmin.

EPIRB and PLB 406 GPS signals go directly to Coast Guard. The inreach is NOT a substitute. Make sure you register the device properly. For the cost of a tank of fuel you can have a PLB or an EPIRB.

My first purchase was a PLB, later I picked up an EPIRB on sale and last year got an InReach from my bride for Christmas. I use the InReach while backpack hunting and carry on the boat as well. The fee on the InReach is expensive, I think $14/month.

I also have a handheld VHF with DSC. great if only inshore?

Last edited:
    Reactions: Kwohlers8
    Upvote 0

Kwohlers8

Anchor Point
    Dec 1, 2012
    Fortuna CA
    Name
    Kris
    Boat Name
    25' Skipjack Fisherman "Anchor Point"
    EPIRB and PLB 406 GPS signals go directly to Coast Guard. The inreach is NOT a substitute. Make sure you register the device properly. For the cost of a tank of fuel you can have a PLB or an EPIRB.
    I agree. I’m all about redundancy. The inreach would be a good supplement to epirb. I spend a lot of time in the woods. Maybe when it’s time for batteries, I’ll get a plb and inreach.

Upvote 0

Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
  • Oct 19, 2012
    California
    Name
    Shewillbemine
    Boat Name
    Chips N Guac
    In case this helps anyone's decision making process, I've said this before on the forums.

When I was considering the EPIRB and PLB and I saw the associated costs, I asked myself, how much of my money would I be willing to spend if I were actually in trouble out in the ocean.

My answer was everything I own.

Upvote 0

triton91

Almost A Member
    Jul 11, 2006
    Kaaawa
    Name
    John
    Boat Name
    23' Outrage
    Went PLB route. I wore it last month running boat from Cabo to CA. Boat has an EPIRB, but never know if I fall over board, etc. Plus wear it with my vest in HI when out fishing. Also, take it in backpack when hiking. We had a Garmin inreach and a bunch of family and friends had our user name so they could track us the whole run north. we would get texts from the inreach from people asking why going in circles did you lose someone, nope just working a spot of tuna. Clearing customs in Ensenada we were delayed a night and man people were asking what was going on? Did you get arrested etc. pretty funny how many people would track us, good to know I guess. But your Wifey will know where you are!!

Upvote 0

RodRage

Share the stoke!
  • Sep 7, 2017
    Surf City Ca.
    Name
    Huntington Hillbilly
    Boat Name
    Chaparral 224 Fisherman
    Christmas in September ditch bag n strobe should arrive in a couple days, thank you all for your input be safe out there!

2A238AE0-9F44-4068-A654-5A99D566A5DE.jpeg

Upvote 0

SeaHawk IV

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jan 15, 2008
    United States of America
    Name
    A
    Boat Name
    Orion Floating Locator SOS Beacon
    Flare Gun with 12 extra expired aerial flares
    Hand Flares and 8 extra expired flares
    Distress flag
    Whistle with safety mirror
    Glow Sticks
    Portable Air Horn
    ACR Manually activated strobe light attached to exterior of the ditch bag
    Portable VHF Radio always fully charged
    Small First Aid Kit
    Storm Proof Matches (just in case hand flare don't ignite)
    4 Reflective blankets
    ACR PLB

I would like to add two ORION Red Parachute SOLAS Signal Rocket. They launch more than double the height of the aerial flare gun and more than double the brightness. Has a 40 second burn time compared to 7 second burn time.

I also keep one of these water saddle in the cabin. I had fishing line stuck in the prop one time at the back side of Catalina Island. I nearly killed myself in 58 degree water for 40 mins in a choppy fast moving current removing 300+ yards of braid wrapped behind the prop. This will make removing the prop much easier and safer. Also can use as a flotation device to handle emergency matters with use of both hands.
    18818153_1500.06112018090008.jpg

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

gearshifter

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 18, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Andy
    Boat Name
    Cabo 226
    Orion Floating Locator Beacon
    Flare Gun with 12 extra expired aerial flares
    Hand Flares and 8 extra expired flares
    Distress flag
    Whistle with safety mirror
    Glow Sticks
    Portable Air Horn
    Manually activated strobe light attached to outside the ditch bag
    Portable VHF Radio always fully charged
    Small First Aid Kit
    Storm Proof Matches (just in case hand flare don't ignite)
    4 Reflective blankets
    PLB

Upvote 0