AWilliams

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
May 18, 2009
Ramona, Ca.
Name
Alin Williams
Boat
none
Everyone knows tuna...for the most part go straight down...not out like yellowtail and marlin. You must have been right on top of them to "accidentally snag" another person's fish
..sheesh..., how hard is that to figure out.

Luke
Luke
Sorry but I have to disagree…..we have found after targeting them on the Thunderbird the smaller BF at night do go down but the larger units go out. It is how we know if we have a bigger model on.So far all our big fish have gone out, only get straight up and down at the end of the battle. This is not a small sample, it is a large sample after 4 years targeting them. L Burson DWRRC
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
Sep 20, 2005
My Backyard
Name
Boat
toy
Animated GIF

tom selleck fourth wall GIF

Upvote 0

miaf

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 14, 2013
Name
Boat
I wasn’t there and have my own thoughts, but I’ll keep them to myself. The only thing I know for sure, as was mentioned before, no matter which boat landed the fish, they would have cut the other line. Nobody would have cut their own line and let the fish swim away. Nobody would have returned the jig or the fish!

Upvote 0

michael e. bingham

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 26, 2015
Name
Pura Vida
Boat
Pura Vida 30' Custom Panga
it`s a big ocean , why even go near a sport boat and put yourself in a situation like this ? Why explain yourself ? There is no right here and if you have really have been fishing since the 80`s you know this , oh ya im glad you got you`re limits

Upvote 0

sealskinner

Retired Pimp
Nov 28, 2003
in the Hood
Name
Mike
Boat
Franks ho
In response to recent discussion about the incident between the vessel Affliction’s crew and the party boat Searcher, I am the one who captained the Affliction on the evening of 9/17/2021 and was the person who fought and brought the bluefin tuna in and would like to weigh in. After logically thinking it through, I do understand the Searcher’s perspective. And, for anyone who cares to listen to both sides of any story before making a judgement, here is my point of view of the entire incident.

We were near the end of our fishing trip when we arrived at this location and was marking fish under our boat. At that time, I did notice a commercial party boat was fishing in the vicinity, however we were at an acceptable distance. Immediately we dropped our artificial lures and started fishing. Soon after, I was hooked up and started fighting the fish hard. At no time that I knew or felt like it was anything other than just a hard fight for a good size bluefin. Our loud diesel generator was on and all three of us were in the back of the Affliction. We never heard any calls on the radio nor paid attention to anything else. Near the end of the fight, the bluefin tuna surfaced nearby and I noticed we had drifted closer to the party boat. In courtesy to the party boat, I asked one of the crew to start our boat and move us a safe distance away. I reeled hard and brought the fish to our boat’s corner and the crew gaffed the fish. We brought it half-way up the swimstep, then realized there was another line attached to the same fish. There were 2 lures in the fish’s mouth, one was mine. So I cut the line that was not mine to bring the fish onboard. We high-fived as we normally do and that we had limited out on bluefin tuna for the day. It was time to go home. We started moving away from the area and I noticed that the party boat was coming toward us, in a very aggressive manner. Quickly in my mind, I was not going to deal with possible drama because I cut their line instead of they (party boats) cutting my line as that has happened many times in the past. So we headed for home.

It is unfortunate that these things happened, and I wish no ill will on any fellow anglers. I have been a fisherman in Southern California since 1980 and have only the utmost respect for the ocean, fish, and fishermen and women. There has been a number of violent incidents over a fish or fishing spots, and I wasn’t about to risk putting myself and my crew in a possibly dangerous situation. This should never have to happen. At no time during the entire fight with this fish did I think that it wasn’t my fish.
What's the snagging outfit of choice?