Affliction: My Response

AZChrome

Aug 16, 2021
AZ
Name
Spencer
Boat
No boat
Yeah it definitely sucks, but anyone who has been fishing long enough has seen party boats do the exact same thing. From SoCal to Washington, it happens every season. Obviously a 200lb bluefin is a prized fish, but for fucks sake. 80% of the people roasting this guy would have likely done the same thing.

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    In response to recent discussion about the incident between the vessel Affliction’s crew and the party boat Searcher, I am the one who captained the Affliction on the evening of 9/17/2021 and was the person who fought and brought the bluefin tuna in and would like to weigh in. After logically thinking it through, I do understand the Searcher’s perspective. And, for anyone who cares to listen to both sides of any story before making a judgement, here is my point of view of the entire incident.

We were near the end of our fishing trip when we arrived at this location and was marking fish under our boat. At that time, I did notice a commercial party boat was fishing in the vicinity, however we were at an acceptable distance. Immediately we dropped our artificial lures and started fishing. Soon after, I was hooked up and started fighting the fish hard. At no time that I knew or felt like it was anything other than just a hard fight for a good size bluefin. Our loud diesel generator was on and all three of us were in the back of the Affliction. We never heard any calls on the radio nor paid attention to anything else. Near the end of the fight, the bluefin tuna surfaced nearby and I noticed we had drifted closer to the party boat. In courtesy to the party boat, I asked one of the crew to start our boat and move us a safe distance away. I reeled hard and brought the fish to our boat’s corner and the crew gaffed the fish. We brought it half-way up the swimstep, then realized there was another line attached to the same fish. There were 2 lures in the fish’s mouth, one was mine. So I cut the line that was not mine to bring the fish onboard. We high-fived as we normally do and that we had limited out on bluefin tuna for the day. It was time to go home. We started moving away from the area and I noticed that the party boat was coming toward us, in a very aggressive manner. Quickly in my mind, I was not going to deal with possible drama because I cut their line instead of they (party boats) cutting my line as that has happened many times in the past. So we headed for home.

It is unfortunate that these things happened, and I wish no ill will on any fellow anglers. I have been a fisherman in Southern California since 1980 and have only the utmost respect for the ocean, fish, and fishermen and women. There has been a number of violent incidents over a fish or fishing spots, and I wasn’t about to risk putting myself and my crew in a possibly dangerous situation. This should never have to happen. At no time during the entire fight with this fish did I think that it wasn’t my fish.
    Say whatever sounds good to you. You have a history of potting sportboats, That's your first mistake, Never get close to another boat where they can cast a bait (not a jig) on your boat. The Searcher comes over to you to confront you about it and what do you do, You high tail because you know your guilty, not for cutting the his lure off. I wouldn't want to be in your shoes right now! I hope Karma comes back to haunt you! Your one of the reason why condoms were invented for people just like yourself. You should of been a stain on the mattress! This world already has enough bad people in it and we don't need anymore.

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Kub
    Boat
    17' Gregor
    Sportboat woulda done the same thing. I guarantee it.
    Wrong.
    Two well known long range boats were anchored close to each other. Cow fishing. Angler's fish makes a run and get tangled up in the other boats anchor rope. They pull the anchor, gaff the fish and return it to the proper angler.

I've seen things like this happen more than once.

Small fish like yellowtail or small tuna maybe, but not the larger models.

Last edited:
    Reactions: kayakbeast33

marlyn

• Dec 18, 2005
    So Cal
    Name
    mark
    Boat
    21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
    I doubt it. They have more class than that.
    Hey i love the searcher too but you live in fantasyland if you beleive they would not have done the exact same thing if they had the chance.They would have gaffed it,cut the line and said our fisherman,our fish just like affliction did.
    Affliction sounds like a tool but if the fish ate both jigs like he said he was right to stick it,if his line was just snagged on the other line he wasnt but only he knows the answer to that.If you have been out there at all this year you know its a damn parking lot and something was bound to happen.

mike garrahan

TheSabreGuy
    Sep 7, 2007
    la habra hts
    Name
    mike garrahan
    Boat
    23 ft. crestliner
    I have never seen a fish with two hooks in it from 2 different boats, especially a big heavy jig. Also if the sportboat was there first and the second boat is close enough to get tangled then the second boat was way too close. Also did the sportboat have the fish hooked up for a period of time before the second boat got on the fish. Sounds like the fish was hooked and ran away from the boat where the second jig crossed the line then slid down the line to the fishes mouth and got hooked on the first jig or maybe the mouth. In any case you don't just boat the fish then take off with the other guy's $40 jig.
    If it was me I would have taken a photo the second the fish came over the rail to show how the fish was hooked or even leave the hooks in place then pull up next to the other boat and work things out. At the very least they should have returned the jig and offered to split the fish if it actually had two jigs in its mouth. When you cut and run it just makes you look guilty and you will never be able to talk your way out of it.

Tail Chaser

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Aug 31, 2004
    Claremont
    Name
    Ryan
    Boat
    Hobie Outback
    When I was learning I followed sport boats... I maintained my distance but definitely learned how when where they fished. When I got the big boat I definitely had people following me doing the same thing... minus giving me space... I was always curtious to the boats that got too close Always threw them a few full beers... unfortunately they exploded in their boats when they didn't catch them... they didn't realize I was being nice and were always pissed for some reason! Same with the idiots that would crash my paddy....
    After you fish for a while you will notice it is the same guy time and time again! I've seen affliction and I remember the name not because of something good! Can't speak to what happened with this fish but I can say this guy isn't someone you want on your stern busting through your chumline.

gettingbentwithbo

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
    Mar 7, 2009
    Riverside
    gettingbentwithbo.com
    Name
    Bo
    Boat
    16' Starcraft SF SS
    Been on a boat where I "hooked up" brought the fish (yellowtail) to the boat and my hook was in the body foul hooked and another angler's hook was in the fish's mouth. The other angler got the fish as he caught the fish. I snagged it.

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Kub
    Boat
    17' Gregor
    Hey i love the searcher too but you live in fantasyland if you beleive they would not have done the exact same thing if they had the chance.They would have gaffed it,cut the line and said our fisherman,our fish just like affliction did.
    Affliction sounds like a tool but if the fish ate both jigs like he said he was right to stick it,if his line was just snagged on the other line he wasnt but only he knows the answer to that.If you have been out there at all this year you know its a damn parking lot and something was bound to happen.
    Bull Shit

TOTW

Time On The Water
    Dec 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    Chris L
    Boat
    Leo's
    Why not call out general accountability rather than say "the sportboats would do the same thing"? Kind of an invalid and flimsy argument, and just causes more divisiveness in an industry that really needs to stick together. Just call out the bad move wherever it happens. No need to try to justify by saying the other side would have done the same thing. In this case, they didn't, and the Searcher's efforts to make it right seem far more plausible than the other's explanation.

sickcat

Silverback
    Aug 5, 2003
    LA
    Name
    Kerry
    Boat
    Yellow spot
    80% of the people roasting this guy would have likely done the same thing.

While you might be right I would hope that % would be a little lower.

Even in the current F'd up world we live in I would like to think that 80% would do the right thing - starting with not being so close to another boat. That may only apply to people like my BD bros.

CrustyOne

Legend in my own mind
    Mar 7, 2017
    Back in SoCal
    Name
    Crusty
    Boat
    minidrifter
    I did notice a commercial party boat was fishing in the vicinity, however we were at an acceptable distance. Immediately we dropped our artificial lures and started fishing.
    The Captain's mistake is here. If you tangled up with a hooked fish from another boat on the open ocean, commercial or private, you are not at an "acceptable distance". End of arguement.

So...at Guadalupe you have to keep your fish away from the sharks. On the BFT grounds you have to keep your fish away from the yachts and skiffs? LOL

Last edited:

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
    Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    Always good to hear both sides. It would add some creditability to your side if you had pics of the two jigs in the fishes mouth. In your 40+ years how many times have you had that happen on a fish like a good size BFT?
    From two separate boats that were a "respectable distance".

Reactions: sickcat
    sickcat
    sickcat
    Given the history seems like that wasn't the case here. I wasn't there of course so I don't know what happened that day.

As the CrustyOne above notes and I agree it could not happen from what I consider a respectable distance.
    Reactions: Cubeye
    Upvote 0

heman

Almost A Member
    Apr 23, 2008
    Anaheim, CA
    Name
    heman
    Boat
    \___/
    I find it very difficult to believe that a hooked fish that's been fighting for its life would purposely eat another jig.
    I can agree with this. But if it wasn’t how else would they be able to pull the fish up to surface to control and be able to gaff?

I think the jig running down line to the mouth and hooking is plausible.

Reactions: Cubeye
    Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
    Aug 5, 2003
    LA
    Name
    Kerry
    Boat
    Yellow spot
    From two separate boats that were a "respectable distance".

I am far, far from an expert on the "local" BFT fishing but someone who does very well said:

"Try sneaking off to the edges of the fleet (.5 to 5 miles) and you will be rewarded with much less spooky fish and more bites"

in his post:

Sounds like good advice to me.

Carl
    Carl
    To be clear, I was agreeing that there is no way a fish ate two jigs from anglers on seperate boats that were a "respectable distance" apart.
    sickcat
    sickcat
    Thats' what I thought.

I was just pointing out some of the possible advantages to keeping a respectful distance to those, who unlike you, might not know what a respectable distance is.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
    Aug 5, 2003
    LA
    Name
    Kerry
    Boat
    Yellow spot
    I can agree with this. But if it wasn’t how else would they be able to pull the fish up to surface to control and be able to gaff?

I think the jig running down line to the mouth and hooking is plausible.
    IMO possible but not likely in the mouth. Slightly more likely in the side of the head or something.

BS without pics - isn't that the BD standard?:rolleyes:

Hard to believe there are no pics. Its' been a day since I asked. If I were a betting man I'd say pics will never come.

EDIT : Realized I left out a plausible explanation.
    Searcher has a fish hung thats away from the boat. Affliction starts a drift over said fish and drops a jig onto line with hooked fish. Angler on Affliction feels something and starts winding. Their jig slides down to heavy leader attached to fish. Affliction is near to directly over said fish and given similar tackle/drag as the guy on the Searcher has a much better angle to pull that fish towards them. The heavy leader takes the abuse from the hooks rubbing on it, up comes the fish and the gaff goes in.

I give you that the angler on the Affliction may not have realized what was going on while pulling the fish up. I suspect they did know exactly what happened when the fish got to the boat.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0