Affliction: My Response

Sep 20, 2021
Socal
Name
Duke
Boat
Affliction
In response to recent discussion about the incident between the vessel Affliction’s crew and the party boat Searcher, I am the one who captained the Affliction on the evening of 9/17/2021 and was the person who fought and brought the bluefin tuna in and would like to weigh in. After logically thinking it through, I do understand the Searcher’s perspective. And, for anyone who cares to listen to both sides of any story before making a judgement, here is my point of view of the entire incident.

We were near the end of our fishing trip when we arrived at this location and was marking fish under our boat. At that time, I did notice a commercial party boat was fishing in the vicinity, however we were at an acceptable distance. Immediately we dropped our artificial lures and started fishing. Soon after, I was hooked up and started fighting the fish hard. At no time that I knew or felt like it was anything other than just a hard fight for a good size bluefin. Our loud diesel generator was on and all three of us were in the back of the Affliction. We never heard any calls on the radio nor paid attention to anything else. Near the end of the fight, the bluefin tuna surfaced nearby and I noticed we had drifted closer to the party boat. In courtesy to the party boat, I asked one of the crew to start our boat and move us a safe distance away. I reeled hard and brought the fish to our boat’s corner and the crew gaffed the fish. We brought it half-way up the swimstep, then realized there was another line attached to the same fish. There were 2 lures in the fish’s mouth, one was mine. So I cut the line that was not mine to bring the fish onboard. We high-fived as we normally do and that we had limited out on bluefin tuna for the day. It was time to go home. We started moving away from the area and I noticed that the party boat was coming toward us, in a very aggressive manner. Quickly in my mind, I was not going to deal with possible drama because I cut their line instead of they (party boats) cutting my line as that has happened many times in the past. So we headed for home.

It is unfortunate that these things happened, and I wish no ill will on any fellow anglers. I have been a fisherman in Southern California since 1980 and have only the utmost respect for the ocean, fish, and fishermen and women. There has been a number of violent incidents over a fish or fishing spots, and I wasn’t about to risk putting myself and my crew in a possibly dangerous situation. This should never have to happen. At no time during the entire fight with this fish did I think that it wasn’t my fish.

Ratshirt

Mar 25, 2007
Oregon
Name
Ratshirt
Boat
none
Showtime
popcorn_03-compress.png

ShadowX

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Alex
Boat
None
If he has been fishing since 1980s, why did he create a new BD user account to post this reply instead of using his normal login account? I'm sure the admins can check the IP address to determine if this is a duplicate IP address. Its only a fish, so why create a new account?

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot
In response to recent discussion about the incident between the vessel Affliction’s crew and the party boat Searcher, I am the one who captained the Affliction on the evening of 9/17/2021 and was the person who fought and brought the bluefin tuna in and would like to weigh in. After logically thinking it through, I do understand the Searcher’s perspective. And, for anyone who cares to listen to both sides of any story before making a judgement, here is my point of view of the entire incident.

We were near the end of our fishing trip when we arrived at this location and was marking fish under our boat. At that time, I did notice a commercial party boat was fishing in the vicinity, however we were at an acceptable distance. Immediately we dropped our artificial lures and started fishing. Soon after, I was hooked up and started fighting the fish hard. At no time that I knew or felt like it was anything other than just a hard fight for a good size bluefin. Our loud diesel generator was on and all three of us were in the back of the Affliction. We never heard any calls on the radio nor paid attention to anything else. Near the end of the fight, the bluefin tuna surfaced nearby and I noticed we had drifted closer to the party boat. In courtesy to the party boat, I asked one of the crew to start our boat and move us a safe distance away. I reeled hard and brought the fish to our boat’s corner and the crew gaffed the fish. We brought it half-way up the swimstep, then realized there was another line attached to the same fish. There were 2 lures in the fish’s mouth, one was mine. So I cut the line that was not mine to bring the fish onboard. We high-fived as we normally do and that we had limited out on bluefin tuna for the day. It was time to go home. We started moving away from the area and I noticed that the party boat was coming toward us, in a very aggressive manner. Quickly in my mind, I was not going to deal with possible drama because I cut their line instead of they (party boats) cutting my line as that has happened many times in the past. So we headed for home.

It is unfortunate that these things happened, and I wish no ill will on any fellow anglers. I have been a fisherman in Southern California since 1980 and have only the utmost respect for the ocean, fish, and fishermen and women. There has been a number of violent incidents over a fish or fishing spots, and I wasn’t about to risk putting myself and my crew in a possibly dangerous situation. This should never have to happen. At no time during the entire fight with this fish did I think that it wasn’t my fish.
Always good to hear both sides. It would add some creditability to your side if you had pics of the two jigs in the fishes mouth. In your 40+ years how many times have you had that happen on a fish like a good size BFT?

yrd

BS on no pics ..!.,
Jun 14, 2009
Flux
Name
Ted
Boat
anything w/ HOOK-UP!!!
Near the end of the fight, the bluefin tuna surfaced nearby and I noticed we had drifted closer to the party boat.
So, you say nothing about the current or wind conditions? It is logical that if both boats are fighting fish that YOU would be pulled closer. Once the fish surfaced did you allow the other line to "trace" toward the other boat (I cut the line and allowed not the least bit of courtesy)? What depth did you see the fish at and how deep did you drop?

Additionally you say nothing about the actual distance(from previous video you think that 150 to 200' is acceptable?!?) or that you noticed someone hooked up with a fish in your direction. I would venture to say that there were fisherman on the other boat waving/trying to get your attention.

If your diesel is running that loud, are you able to monitor any channel? If not then you have at least a safety issue.

IMO you have some major issues and I hope to never see you(even from my internet view or anytime at sea)...good luck with your Karma

Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
Frankly, I can't even imagine the other side. Who ever boats the fish first, owns it. I saw a guy fighting a swordfish, a spotter plane also saw and called in a stick boat, which harpooned the fish, cut the line and kept it. Personally, I wouldn't do it, although some people cut him slack because he was trying to put food on his family's table. Even so, no one disputed the legality.

I see speculation above that OP may have been "too close". I suspect that if he were within casting distance, he would have been made aware. Either way, it doesn't change my view with respect to the fish.

Edit: I posted the above before learning of Affliction's checkered past, which certainly calls his veracity and motives into question. Even so, it is hard for me to visualize how his jig could slide down the other angler's line and hook a fish. At some point, he would be pulling on the line and against both the other angler and the fish. At that point, I would expect the jig to stop sliding and probably break the line. If he did snag the fish that way (and I still can't imagine snagging it any other way would be better than a 1 in a million shot), it is unethical. Of course, there is no way of knowing, but that's where Affliction's reputation comes it. As for taking a picture, it probably wouldn't have occurred to me, but if it had, I would not have considered it to be good evidence of anything, since it would be so easily staged. Ironically, the lack of a picture may be more indicative of a lack of consciousness of guilt. I do agree that he shouldn't keep the other angler's lure.

Last edited:

kbray001

Aug 18, 2009
South OC
Name
Kirk
Boat
Regal 24

Got a picture of the fish with both lines?

Also you could give the other guy his $50 dollar jig back?

Also I really hope you were all rocking bedazzled affliction shirts like chuck liddell back in the day.

Reactions: kayakbeast33

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
Yes, two jigs in one fish is possible.

The Searcher's fish is running away from the boat.

The Affliction pulls up within 200 feet of the Searcher, meters fish and vertically drops their jigs. (Estimate from the Captain of the Searcher).

One of their jigs snags the Searcher's line. The jig runs up the line onto the fish's mouth , where the first jig is.

Now there are two jigs in or near the fish's mouth.

Having a shorter distance to wind, and more leverage because the fish is vertical to the Affliction, they bring it to gaff first.

They see two jigs on the fish. Never mind if one jig has been swallowed, They cut the offensive jig off, keep it, and take off. Never once thinking that maybe they should call the Searcher and discuss the matter.

I doubt very seriously that a fish hooked on a jig would take the time to swallow another jig.

Never mind that the Searcher was calling them on Channel 16
Never mind that they were on their loud speaker.
The diesel generator was too loud, but not loud enough so that they could talk to each other.

Hahaha and high fives!!!!!

Did I miss anything? Total speculation of course.

PS........
" Quickly in my mind, I was not going to deal with possible drama because I cut their line instead of they (party boats) cutting my line as that has happened many times in the past. So we headed for home."

This quote sounds like you have fished too close to party boats many times, in the past

Last edited:

Wandering Blues

I Should Upgrade My Account
Oct 19, 2008
The Land of Entrapment
Name
Curtis
Boat
A Pair of Simms G3 Waders
I’d respect the explanation more of it wasn’t fluffed out. How about—-

“It was the end of the trip, I was out of bait and chum, and like has been seen in old videos, I cruised in close to take advantage of the sport boats chum line.

I dropped a jig and hooked up. It felt different, not quite like a hard fighting big bluefin. I know this because I’ve been fishing since 1980. I figured, being so close to the sport, I might have foul hooked the fish. So, I fired up my boat to bring that bad boy up to plane, stuck it, saw the jig already in the mouth and said “fuck it,” my gaff, my fish.”

That would be respectable in a brass balls, Bloody Decks salute kinda way. Your way reeks of justification.

jiggermyster

Goin' out...
Dec 12, 2003
So Cal
Name
Clay
Boat
n/a
I doubt very seriously that a fish hooked on a jig would take the time to swallow another jig.
It happens.
Down at Alijos, I had a YT eat my jig while another angler was fighting it on their bait rig.

I landed it but they were on it first so it was their fish, as far as I was concerned.

Danthefishman

Oct 30, 2006
La Mesa
Name
Dan
Boat
Aquasport 215DC
I had this exact thing happen at the coronados fishing yellowtail. I hooked a yellow and the party boat that came up right next to us mid fight and decided to immediately start having passengers throw jigs and bait right on top of us. My fish was snagged by one of their anglers and gaffed. They pulled it up and cut my line. I yelled what the hell! The captain actually stuck his head out of the wheelhouse and said "sorry man I've got to put shoes on my kids feet". I was pissed for about 2 seconds but then started fishing again. Life is too short to stay mad. If it were a 200lb bluefin I'm sure I would be a bit more pissed, but it is what it is. Some people have no courtesy and will will always wonder why they can never catch a break. I choose the opposite approach. Glad we got to hear both sides, but nothing will change either way if you truly believe you did what was right. JMO

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
Los Angeles
Name
Alex
Boat
None
This was the jig the OP was using:

1632193815312.png

W
woodfish330
6 oz jig.... with 8 oz of "flailing" hardware....lol. Is it just me.... or do those things "tangle" themselves on the drop?
T
tunacraze
That's the jig Alex? That's not the jig! :D
S
ShadowX
tunacraze: Its not the jig, but that would the jig I would use to snag a 200 lb tuna. LOL

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot
It happens.
Down at Alijos, I had a YT eat my jig while another angler was fighting it on their bait rig.

I landed it but they were on it first so it was their fish, as far as I was concerned.
I have seen it before also with calicos and YT.

Happened to me on a Dorado once with a guy who was right next to me. That fish ate 2 baits so quick that we couldn't get tight on the fish before he ate the second bait. We had no idea which bait he ate first.

Seems less likely with a BFT of decent size under pressure. Possible thou.

Reactions: Fish613 and Cubeye

2tuna

Almost A Member
Feb 21, 2011
Salinas/CA/USA
Name
Craig H
Boat
le barge
"It's only a fish'?? Who the fuck says a 200 lb bluefin is just a fish?

I suppose there are a rarefied few for whom that might be true (like the owner of a 40' sportfisher, fishing since 1980), but for many of us would be THE fish of a lifetime.

It's like calling your first lover just another girl; like calling your 66 fastback ragtop just more transportation; like calling the Navy Cross just another citation.

It's PINNACLE, people

Apr 26, 2018
Irvine
Name
Brian Burchfield
Boat
22’ Trophy CC
If he has been fishing since 1980s, why did he create a new BD user account to post this reply instead of using his normal login account? I'm sure the admins can check the IP address to determine if this is a duplicate IP address. Its only a fish, so why create a new account?
:rofl:"..his normal account login.." Must one have a BD account to fish? LMFAO :smash:

Reactions: cudun