calbrewguy

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 12, 2006
Costa Mesa
Name
Randy
Boat
None
What would be the best area for a newbie to Texas offshore fishing. I'd like to target dorado, wahoo, etc.

tunasquid

Oct 7, 2007
new york, new york
Name
bob
Boat
Florida...

However if you can adjust your expectations, you can have a great time. Texas has some or the best Fishing in the world , that no one knows about. I'd be willing to put our offshore waters" total overall biomass up against almost anywhere else in modern times, if you a discount giving any preference to more desirable fish, and dont dismiss protected species during the months they are off limits.

We have a lot to target year round, and a few times that mini seasons pop off for truly epic, on a global scale even, opportunities. Like the last 2-4 weeks of our winter wahoo bite.

However, the rest of the yr's tough for wahoo, especially of consistent size, with most averaging way under 1 a day, per effort. And you opened with the "D" word. Sure d gt them, semi regular, but they are more of a one-off fish, to be capitalized upon when encountered, but never to expect.

Open your mind to all the possibilities out there, and you'll find almost zero areas that aren't successfl places to target tasty fish throughout some time of the year

Just look at the swords, only 10yrs ago a mystery to most , but now so well understood most dont bother because of how dumb they are and simple they are to target. The spot for them, if you promise not to tell, is , literally , anywhere in the gulf deeper than 800f give or take several hundred

Day0ne

Dec 24, 2004
Texas
Name
David
Boat
233 Formula Shadowdancer
What the best area is, can start a great debate. Sabine is probably the longest ride, with Galveston second. Freeport is a favorite, as it Port O'connor area. Port Aransas is well known for its fishing too. A big question is what kind of boat and is it yours or are you planning on using headboats or charters. In the summer, small dorado are everywhere, around anything that floats, along with some big ones. As stated above, wahoo tend to be a winter bite, especially around the Flower Gardens (Upper coast is closest). This is rather a broad question, needing more information about boat, your location, etc.

Fins in the Bin

Jun 10, 2004
Jamul
Name
used to fish
Boat
50 Silverton
Good replies gentlemen, greatly appreciated! What town is best for inshore species?

Jgonzalez7

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 13, 2020
Texas
Name
Jaime H Gonzalez
Boat
None
My recommendation is Port Aransas, I been fishing there for 15 years from pier, surf, jetty and headboats (dolphin docks and deep sea headquarters)... the problem with Texas is that to get the big ones you have to get to deeper water which is at least 20 miles from the coast, to get to yft tuna you have to reach a floater oil rig, usually about 100 miles... I honestly thought that was normal, distance times, until I fished in Mazatlan Mexico, Puerto Vallarta, and Cabo.... damn! You literally navigate for 20 min and you can get hit by all the big species such as tuna, dorado, sailfish, swords, etc. Last November did a tuna trip in Port Aransas (36 hr trip), 10 hrs out, 13 fishing and 13 back and got about 12 black fin and two yft 80 lbs and 105 lbs. Then in December, 20 minutes out in Mazatlan got 4 mahi mahi between 5 and 6 ft, my father in law got 3 blue fin tunas between 60 and 180 lbs. Port A Inshore species you can get reds, kings, trout, sharks, etc. Port A never disappoints.

Fins in the Bin

Jun 10, 2004
Jamul
Name
used to fish
Boat
50 Silverton
All great info too JG!
Our tuna/Yt and Mahi are out anywhere from 9 miles here in So Cal and beyond but I am not enjoying the long boat rides as much anymore. Every once in a while OK but I would rather get a skiff and put in about 4 hours close to shore with a couple of those fat red drums on light gear. Now how about work in those areas for a crane operator? Just as good of luck as anywhere?

Jgonzalez7

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 13, 2020
Texas
Name
Jaime H Gonzalez
Boat
None
The oil industry in Texas is at its lowest for the past 10 years. There was a lot of money, overtime, big houses were built... now there are a lot of trucks and houses being repossessed by the banks. Crude oil barrel price has been very low for about 5 months now. Google Carrizo Springs oil boom, was a ghost town, oil boom all of the sudden, big houses built, new high school, commercial buildings with state of the art technology, hotels, apartments... now its back to ghost town status.

Nonetheless, I seen a lot of people moving from California to San Antonio TX lately, selling your house over there, even though is not completely paid off, with at least 50% equity is enough to pay 100% for a similar house here.

Plus you have access to the coast with a 2 hrs drive.

Back at fishing in Texas, it is hard to justify a 36 hrs trip for 13 hrs of fishing only. I am probably going to do more more shore fishing now hopeing for a giant (red, king fish, shark) to find my bait/lure yummy once in a while. Also, Rona make more complicated the close quarter accommodation on a 36 hr trip.

Fins in the Bin

Jun 10, 2004
Jamul
Name
used to fish
Boat
50 Silverton
Yeah I hear you on the 36 hour trips. Bummer about the economy there, we are on the edge of it here too. The extreme shut downs of entire cities as big as SD and LA is pretty creepy to drive through. I think I would try to move to Corpus Christy or Galvaston. I'll check out the Carrizo Springs story, thanks for the intel, hopefully I can take you on a skiff trip within a year.

Jgonzalez7

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 13, 2020
Texas
Name
Jaime H Gonzalez
Boat
None
If I may sugges, I would suggest Corpus, its a beautiful city, small enough to get through it quickly, people are the nicest I ever met and fishing is awesome. Galveston is close to Houston, Houston is anfun city, but traffic is horrible (2nd in Texas after Austin), crime is high in Galveston than Corpus. Corpus cost of living cheaper, Houston is expensive. I will gladly accept the offer to fish with you, I will show you the best hidden restaurants in the area and the coldest beer.

JSegovia

Aug 10, 2020
San Antonio TX
Name
Jesse Segovia
Boat
25ft Parker CC
Two places I do all my Inshore Fishing for Red Drum/Speckled Sea Trout/ Black Drum/ Flounder is Rockport, TX & Corpus Christi (upper Laguna Madre)

offshore mostly out of Corpus Christi (Packery Chanel)