RideHPD

Enthusiastic Idiot Rookie
Aug 14, 2016
Del Mar/Marina Del Rey, CA
Name
Eric Marin
Boat
10' Model T
They make them in .416 as well as .50, so there are legal M82A1s for purchase in California, I saw one in a shop not too long ago. I'd say the Barrett's all shoot about the same, semi auto and bolt about even, but I'm not an expert on them. The .416 is better ballistically than the .50, but it's not the best, I believe .408 is still better. There was a time where there was some leap-frogging between Barrett, Cheytac, and others with new cartridges, where Cheytac came out with the .408, which smoked the .50, then Barrett came out with the .416 not long after, claiming it was better than .408. There was a good bit of debate over that, although I think .408 still held the title, but then .375 came along and that was the end of that.

I'd also say all of the Barrett's are harder to shoot well, as they aren't as ergonomic as other options, and therefore harder to get comfortable behind and relax. Add in a semi auto recoil pulse, and they become pretty hard to tame.

Upvote 0

el Toro

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Feb 19, 2003
Point Loma
Name
Nate
Boat
Artemis
Sounds like you have enough practical guns already. Do you hunt? Take that dough and buy a world class hunting trip somewhere. That's what I'd do anyway. I don't even understand what kind of guns you are talking about anyway,

Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
Do you hunt? Take that dough and buy a world class hunting trip somewhere.

Do I hunt? Not enough but yes. In years past, I spent lots of time hunting and really enjoyed it. My plan is to get a dog (or maybe not) and join a duck club. In any event, this gun is not for hunting. Short of a 375 H&H Magnum, I have what I need for hunting.

Not really interested in a guided hunt. I like to do it myself, and I have been blessed with some amazing hunts. For now, I want a gun that I can enjoy just by pulling it out of the safe.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Cast Gold

hss AHHHH...hss AHHHH....
Jul 1, 2005
Tustin
Name
Kris
Boat
Mike's
Fjold would prolly say......".375 Holland....one gun....one planet.... :-)

He would say that because he has said it before. But not everyone can reload and get to know their rifle as well as he can. He has his gear tuned tighter than a clam's ass.

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
Correction:I just checked and Im not 100% positive EDM sells the DTC in semi auto.Either way stick with bolt action...or full auto.:smash:

Upvote 0

Cast Gold

hss AHHHH...hss AHHHH....
Jul 1, 2005
Tustin
Name
Kris
Boat
Mike's
Another option could be something like a full custom 3-lug BAT machine action built to your specs. But if you want to be a true wartime consigliere, get the Desert Tech HTI. The HTI also gives you the ability to swap actions and barrels to shoot different cartridges with a torque wrench.

Upvote 0

bparker1225

Ocean Addiction
Sep 27, 2004
Leucadia/Los Zacatitos
Name
Bill Parker
Boat
21' 6" Cabo-Cabo Bill
Rick although I am not a gun-guy I have read this post with interest. What I am reading is that you want a high-end. State of the art gun for the sake of appreciation of the best. You want a legal extreme weapon to appreciate its quality and precision. Accuracy, ballistics, expense of ammunition are secondary. Most of the advice appears to be in the secondary area. Am I correct?

Upvote 0

aeon

ugh....
Apr 11, 2006
foothill ranch
Name
Bill
Boat
/600hp ls3 powered Airboat
I have quite a bit of time behind the EDM windrunner and its a great Gun!

The fire forming process is not that hard for the 510DTC. Cut to size, FL resize , load and fire form.you will have to buy some pretty expensive presses and dies to make all this happen but its just money.

Get a bolt gun not a semi auto. Its not the kind of gun you want to shoot fast anyways.

Upvote 0

JFK

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 3, 2008
Santa Cruz, Ca
Name
James
Boat
14' Livingston skiff
If you don't reload I'd also think about ammo. None of the rounds discussed can be purchased easily, even at even specialty shops. You'd likely have to pay someone to load up ammo. You said your max range was 600 yards. Absolutely no reason for any exotic calibers for those ranges. Then ask yourself if you have access to a place to shoot long distances regularly enough that you can become good at it and truly enjoy the rifle.

Id second the idea that if you already have rifles and hunt, spend the dough on a badass trip of a lifetime. The memories will last far longer than the cool factor of a new toy. A rifle is a tool. Take one that you already have and put it to good use. My 2 cents.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

baaadlybent

I Should Upgrade My Account
Sep 5, 2006
Fullerton/Bahia de los Angeles
Name
Doug
Boat
26' Striper "Baaadly Bent", 21' Bayrunner Baja "Vamonos", 15' Gregor "Little Vamonos"
I had a Winchester Model 94 in .357 and hated it. Cool looking gun but loading rounds in it was a pain on my fingers and you could see the bullets drop like mortars down range when you shot cuz the ballistics were so bad.

Upvote 0

AhSpray

Assistant Gaffer
Apr 25, 2003
Escondido
Name
Rob
Boat
AAA+++ Ho
Hey Rick,
If you are anywhere near Poway you should give San Diego Firearms Training Center a call. I was in there shooting a few months ago and started talking to a guy on staff who has a number of rifles in the class you are talking about - and who competes at distances of up to a mile. Unfortunately, I don't recall his hame right now. But I'm sure if you call them, they'll know exactly who you are asking about. The guy should be very helpful for you on this project. Sounds fun!

Reactions: Vigilant32
Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
Thanks for the tip, Rob. Although I am a long way from Poway, I do get down there occasionally, and will make a point of checking them out next time I am there. As it is, I have not yet purchased anything in this category.

Upvote 0

Vigilant32

BightPatrol
Nov 9, 2004
Name
G
Boat
Barrett on the range.

Attachments

• trim.9DD97893-3FC8-4CAB-89F2-3326B8A7717E.MOV
    202.2 KB · Views: 16
  • trim.A22C30C8-0975-46EA-92C0-EF336A6327A4.MOV
    538.8 KB · Views: 15
Reactions: MYNomad
Upvote 0

mattsfishn

Nov 27, 2005
San Diego
Name
Matt
Boat
Someday
I cant view the previous video, but theres another on here of a, I think, BD member shooting his 50 and it bouncing back, grazing a kid. Crazy ass shit!

Anyways, my vote is get the 50, seems like someone else said, everyones advice seems tailored around hunting or practicality. You want it for neither! Get The 50!!

Upvote 0