Advice on travel rods?

Virginia Ed

Sep 21, 2021
Clifton, VA
Name
Edward Peter
Boat
None at the moment
Hey all. Total noob here. I'm looking for advice on travel rods. I just acquired an Avet JX6.0 reel and now I'm on the hunt for a travel rod to pair it with. My buddy suggested Okuma Nomad rods but they're not available. Anyone have a suggestion?

Upvote 0

AKSalmon

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 15, 2006
    Juneau, Alaska
    Name
    Bill Brown
    Boat
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    Hey all. Total noob here. I'm looking for advice on travel rods. I just acquired an Avet JX6.0 reel and now I'm on the hunt for a travel rod to pair it with. My buddy suggested Okuma Nomad rods but they're not available. Anyone have a suggestion?
    Charkbait shows that it has Nomad rods in stock. I have one and it's OK.

Amadeus

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Mar 17, 2011
    San Diego/CA/US
    Name
    Wai Jung
    Boat
    Seahawk II
    Happy with my Nomad, but if in your shoes now, purely on specs alone...

...the JX 6.0 is rated up to 40 lb mono with 20 lb max drag,

...the Saltiga's rated max is 30-65 Braid (translation: 15-30 mono) so the Saltiga is a no-go,

...the Phenix RTX-C 700MH-3 is rated 20-50 mono, so 40 lb on the JX is in the mid-range.

With the Okuma Nomad's unavailalble, the only other commercially available travel rod with 40 lb in the mid-range is the Tsunami TSTBC703H:

This one is a bit more of a gamble since it's not sold in the U.S.:

Here is another travel rod post (my reply is the 9th one down):

YMMV.

Good luck with what you decide.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Virginia Ed
    Upvote 0

Virginia Ed

Sep 21, 2021
    Clifton, VA
    Name
    Edward Peter
    Boat
    None at the moment
    Happy with my Nomad, but if in your shoes now, purely on specs alone...

...the JX 6.0 is rated up to 40 lb mono with 20 lb max drag,

...the Saltiga's rated max is 30-65 Braid (translation: 15-30 mono) so the Saltiga is a no-go,

...the Phenix RTX-C 700MH-3 is rated 20-50 mono, so 40 lb on the JX is in the mid-range.

With the Okuma Nomad's unavailalble, the only other commercially available travel rod with 40 lb in the mid-range is the Tsunami TSTBC703H:

This one is a bit more of a gamble since it's not sold in the U.S.:

Here is another travel rod post (my reply is the 9th one down):

YMMV.

Good luck with what you decide.
    Thanks for the advice. I guess I've got some more research to do.

Upvote 0

RTWPC

Oct 3, 2016
    Costa mesa
    Name
    A
    Boat
    WFT Never Crack conventional and spinning rods are the easiest to pack, since they are multiple short pieces. Despite their low prices they have held up very well for me on big fish. Might not be available in US.

Upvote 0
    Aug 11, 2015
    Vancouver
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    Zodiac
    San Diego just rent rods at Landings, much better quality.

Most of the Islands you can rent a rod through a shop or kayak rental place.

I've looked at those Nomad's a few times and just can't justify the money for the quality but Phoenix is a pretty reputable company.

Reactions: Noms

Almud

Jan 3, 2015
    Name
    Almud
    Boat
    Wish I Had One
    Black Hole has nice two piece that I have caught YFT and halibut on. 5’2” when attached. Great on a 4pax. Phenix Redeye worked well for me on rockfish and I plan to test on Calico bass soon.

Upvote 0

Virginia Ed

Sep 21, 2021
    Clifton, VA
    Name
    Edward Peter
    Boat
    None at the moment
    San Diego just rent rods at Landings, much better quality.

Most of the Islands you can rent a rod through a shop or kayak rental place.

I've looked at those Nomad's a few times and just can't justify the money for the quality but Phoenix is a pretty reputable company.
    Thanks for the advice. Probably going to end up renting. Haven't had much time to shop since I've been flyfishing for browns on the S. Holston River this past week. What a fishery!

Reactions: Sawmill killer
    Upvote 0

CI_SeaWolf

Almost A Member
  • Feb 13, 2006
    Camarillo, CA
    Name
    Tom Farrell
    Boat
    Wellcraft 22' W/A
    Most boats in Hawaii have their own gear. Different style fishing there, the boat keeps the majority of the fish.

Upvote 0
    Aug 11, 2015
    Vancouver
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    Zodiac
    Thanks for the advice. Probably going to end up renting. Haven't had much time to shop since I've been flyfishing for browns on the S. Holston River this past week. What a fishery!
    Sounds like fun and gotta love variety as well.

In the past little bit I've lake fished for trophy rainbows on the fly, hit the rivers with gear for salmon and used that salmon for sturgeon fishing....largest was 93.5" on some of my tuna gear but I'm most excited about San Diego next week.

Upvote 0