MNFLSDLV

Mar 17, 2021
Las Vegas
Name
Buddy Karas
Boat
Pinnacle and Long range
Hello All,

I am hoping for some advice on my setups. Quick background, lived in Florida for 4 years, fished heavily inshore and offshore.

Live on the West Coast now, have done over a dozed 4 pack yellowtail and/or tuna trips out of Dana landing.

Long range, have gone on Red Rooster for 3 days, legend for ¾ days, another older boat I don’t remember the name of for 2 days.

This year looking to kick it up with (3) 3 or 4 day trips, Shogun, Top Gun 80, third tbd.

This is a list of what I own, I would like some expert help getting it matched and equipped. One more nice reel in my budget before summer.

On the Red Rooster trip, I had my Calstar GFGR 700 ML paired with the dauntless 600n and 40lb Izorline mono. Worked very well for me, but always open to other ideas. I also had the Okuma Makaira MK-C-701M paired with Okuma Cortez CZ-12CSa and 30lb, Izorline mono, it was ok, a little overmatched on the decent yellowtail, but still landed them.

Rods (Possible pairings in parentheses)

Okuma Makaira MK-C-701M (Avet MXJ 5.8:1 20/25lb mono setup)

Okuma Makaira MK-C-701H (Okuma Cortez CZ-12CSa maybe 30lb)

Calstar GFGR 700 ML (Accurate Dauntless 600N with 40lb mono)

Calstar GF 765 L (Accurate Dauntless 600N with 50lb mono)

Calstar GF 765 M

Calstar GF 800 M (thinking the torium)

Calstar GFDH 900 H (previously used the Torium for Big Iron)

Shimano Tallus Blue Water TLC-66HSBA

Quantum Blue Runner Gold BGCA6680

G-Loomis Bucara BR 915C (Avet?)

Penn Long Beach

Liquid Stick 7’ 30-80 lb (clearance buy for backup or something)

Reels

Avet MXJ 5.8:1

Okuma Cortez CZ-12CSa

Accurate Dauntless 600N (TWO OF THESE)

Diawa Sealine 50H (very well maintained, donated by friend, interested in thoughts on these)

Diawa Sealine 30H (very well maintained, donated by friend, interested in thoughts on these)

Okuma Cortez CZ-12CSa

Shimano Torium 20HG

Spinning Setups (pretty set on these pairings, would love to hear ideas for uses):

Calstar GF 700 ML (spinning) intended these two for each other, it’s the older version of the reel, used in Florida for Barracuda, Amberjack, shark. Got the rod recently for it.

Okuma Cedros CJ-S-601 Ma (spinning, parabolic?) and Okuma Cedros CJ 80S meant to go together for yoyo jigging, have not used.

G-Loomis Surf Series Sur 965S (spinning) Previously paired with Penn Slammer III 5500, worked great throwing smaller surface iron to smaller Tuna from the front of the boat.

Again, I appreciate any input, please let me know what you think, and whether I’m missing something for 3-4 day trips out of San Diego.
Thank you in advance for sharing your thoughts or experience with me.

2tuna

Almost A Member
Feb 21, 2011
Salinas/CA/USA
Name
Craig H
Boat
le barge
Other than a heavy outfit for the as-yet hypothetical jumbo BFT's I'd say you got a decent assemblage (which others will say for the jumbos, wait till a week before your trip and then rent at the landing if they're showing).

The 700ML seems a bit light to me for a proper 40lb outfit. I'd prolly move that to a brand-new amazon-fresh Okuma PCH 761XH or or something like that

M
MNFLSDLV
Thank you! The rod was nice, but not quite the power i needed on some of those yellowtail.
Upvote 0

bdogie1

• May 27, 2015
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    getsome
    You need some bigger gear you have the 30 -40 covered so ok best deals out there for some bigger gear I would get a Penn fathom 40n2 speed set up with 80# braid paired with either Okuma PCH 801XH or 741XXH and Penn 60 lds2 set up with 100# braid paired with Okuma 741XXXH those rods are sick Carbon Fiber for the price $175-$240.00 and those reels you can get for 235.00 ( walmart or amazon ) If you have lots of money to spend well then the option are endless ....

Reactions: CooldadE

bdogie1

• May 27, 2015
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    getsome
    On my Penn 40 I run 80# braid with no top shot just a floro leader (30lb to 150lb) and on my Penn 60 I run 100lb braid w floro (60lb to 150lb ) leader also. I don't like run a top shot some guys do and swear buy it , but for me Im good just going braid to floro you have no stretch in that set up but I don't loose fish and I have fish both way I prefer less knots on my set up it all a personal choice I only caught BF to 125lb but again I don't top shot mono or floro.

FlatPack

Online Angler
    Sep 22, 2016
    City of Angels
    Name
    Rexor
    Boat
    "CATTLE BOAT"
    Just add heavier set up like Penn Fathom 40NLD2 or if budget allows the Torque counterpart once those large model bluefin shows up and also a great yoyo rig...pair it with Okuma PCH Custom Rod 701XXH or 741XXH.
    UC RGP Terminator & Predator are great match too..

Also consider a Mak15T & Mak20 along the way for bait set up.

Reactions: Eric Ancog

RichG

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jan 20, 2007
    California
    Name
    Richard G/
    Boat
    none
    I agree the 700ML is more of a 30 - 40 pound rod. If you like it you should like the 700H (30 - 80 lb). A bit heavier or even the 700 HX. The Dauntless 600N is a nice reel that is more a 40 to 60 pound setup. A 600 not the narrow should give you a bit more line capacity for long soaks.

Try to find a reel sponsored trip on the Long Range fleet, that way you could test the other reel to see how you like them.

Have fun.

post to the Long Range thread, you might get a other opinions.

Upvote 0