Rimack

Old School
Jun 24, 2011
Elk Grove
Name
gary
Boat
Nope
Guys. my wife and I killed this year on our annual trip to SD. she caught a 132 lb BF and I caught a #181, + 4 or 5 YT. The way I see it is we have about 140-160 lbs a fish to bring home.
We had five star prosess them as usual, I have a 200 QT and a 95 QT ice chests for the drive home.
Will this be enough room with 10-20 lbs of dry ice ?
thank you.

Reactions: Shewillbemine

Rimack

Old School
Jun 24, 2011
Elk Grove
Name
gary
Boat
Nope
How far of a drive home?
sacramento...we've made the drive a 100 times...just not with 150lbs of fish and was hoping the 300 qts of ice chest we have is big enough. thanks

stuman

Brawndo the thirst mutilator
Sep 18, 2004
Oside
Name
stu
Boat
skiff
I picked up a 128 BFT from five star. It all fit in a Rtic 65 quart - no ice. Belly and collar included. There was a couple inches of room for ice on top. The packages were randomly thrown in the cooler. If it were neatly stacked there would have been more room.

Buttchaser

Fresh One!
Jul 3, 2004
BD Outdoors
Name
John
Boat
None
ok , will the fish be frozen ?

If frozen

I think you have plenty of space for the fish , here is what I would do
Find a place that sells HOT or Dry Ice ,all you need is about 40lbs of it. layer the hot Ice with Regular Ice on top of it and then add your processes fish, add more ice over the fish ...

if it’s not frozen just add the ice you will probably need about 80lbs

Last edited:
Reactions: Rimack

Rimack

Old School
Jun 24, 2011
Elk Grove
Name
gary
Boat
Nope
I picked up a 128 BFT from five star. It all fit in a Rtic 65 quart - no ice. Belly and collar included. There was a couple inches of room for ice on top. The packages were randomly thrown in the cooler. If it were neatly stacked there would have been more room.
sounds like I have more than enough room...thank you.

Rimack

Old School
Jun 24, 2011
Elk Grove
Name
gary
Boat
Nope
ok , will the fish be frozen ?

If frozen

I think you have plenty of space for the fish , here is what I would do
Find a place that sells HOT or Dry Ice ,all you need is about 40lbs of it. layer the hot Ice with Regular Ice on top of it and then add your processes fish, add more ice over the fish ...

if it’s not frozen just add the ice you will probably need about 80lbs
Thanks John.

Reactions: Buttchaser

Rimack

Old School
Jun 24, 2011
Elk Grove
Name
gary
Boat
Nope

yakmandan

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 30, 2007
AZ.
Name
DAN
Boat
19ft Bayrunner Baja
Ice house is right down the street from 5 Star they sell dry ice. I bring my fish home to Prescott Arizona and it will be more frozen than when I left SD

kevina

Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
sounds like I have more than enough room...thank you.
Smart and Final sells dry Ice, Get 3 blocks ( apppx 25 lbs total) 2 for the 200qt and 1 for the95qt and your fish will stay frozen a couple of days.

stonefly

Apr 21, 2007
sacramento, ca.
Name
randy welsh
Boat
16' mirrocraft
Iv'e made the drive from SD to Sacramento with fish a few times myself but many times from San Felipe.

Not really understanding the need for dry ice for an 8 hr. drive,
it's much too harsh on the fish.

Layers of party ice sprinkled with rock salt will still leave you having to separate the fish/ice joe dirt like block when you get up the next morning so leave the drain hole open.

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
I use my regular 120qt Igloo. It holds the fish and ice for a few days.

However, my dreams of a COHO molded cooler have finally came true.

Costco has a nice 165qt COHO cooler just like the big boys for $99...maybe it was $149. Not all Costco's have them yet.

http://www.cohooutdoors.com/165QTCooler.html

You dont need dry ice unless you are trying to keep something frozen. I usually stop in Atascadero for a few days then home and another day or two sharing fresh before the rest goes into freezer.

Rimack

Old School
Jun 24, 2011
Elk Grove
Name
gary
Boat
Nope
LOL...you guys are great, I was... (post)... double checking about the room/size ice chest we need. I have a 200 qt. It's all good. thanks again.

Reactions: One_Leg

stella marina

Nov 21, 2011
santa cruz
Name
Andrew
Boat
Parker 2320, 16 Klamath cc, 10 ft Livingston "bass slayer"

Costco has a nice 165qt COHO cooler just like the big boys for $99...maybe it was $149. Not all Costco's have them yet.

You dont need dry ice unless you are trying to keep something frozen. I usually stop in Atascadero for a few days then home and another day or two sharing fresh before the rest goes into freezer.
wow that's a good deal...which costco did you get yours at?

Reactions: kevina

stella marina

Nov 21, 2011
santa cruz
Name
Andrew
Boat
Parker 2320, 16 Klamath cc, 10 ft Livingston "bass slayer"
Same one you shop at.
thank you,
I haven't been there in at least a month...out of the routine, I'm gonna have to make a trip.

Rimack

Old School
Jun 24, 2011
Elk Grove
Name
gary
Boat
Nope

[/QU
hve them freeze half your fish. No need for ice.
Already froze .

Rimack

Old School
Jun 24, 2011
Elk Grove
Name
gary
Boat
Nope

T.Bui

I have no beliefs, I joined for the violence.
Feb 21, 2012
Castro Valley
Name
Bui
Boat
Warfighter
Four of us drove back to NorCal last month with processed fish from Fisherman’s, almost 1000# of YT and 200# of BFT and YFT before processing. We made it back at 9pm with very little ice loss. Fish were in a couple kill bags, roto molded coolers and one 120qt Igloo.

mullet

Metal Fabricator
Jan 10, 2006
San Fernando Valley
Name
Mike
Boat
19"Gregor
I bring fish from Oregon to the SFV 12 hour drive on a good day . Iv'e loaded my yeti with no ice and it's still frozen when I get home . The trick is try to make it as full as you can ,no air pockets fill the empty space with wadded up newspaper . Dry ice will help but you don't need much if any . Just resist the urge to open the chest till you get home . Helps if you can chill the cooler first couple gallon jugs will work.

kimbo

Jun 24, 2008
orange county
Name
Toe-knee
Boat
21' cabo
I got that big coho from costco. It didn't hold ice for shit. Maybe because of the flip up section on the lid? Returned it 2 days later. Got a igloo 150 quart from sams the next day for $69, , holds way better.

kevina

Sep 10, 2006
redondo beach
Name
kev
Boat
25' aqua sport
I bring fish from Oregon to the SFV 12 hour drive on a good day . Iv'e loaded my yeti with no ice and it's still frozen when I get home . The trick is try to make it as full as you can ,no air pockets fill the empty space with wadded up newspaper . Dry ice will help but you don't need much if any . Just resist the urge to open the chest till you get home . Helps if you can chill the cooler first couple gallon jugs will work.
dry ice if the cooler is in the back of the pick up exposed to the sun on a hot day.