Advice on gear for yellowtail.

1Matthew

• Aug 3, 2021
    Thousand Oaks
    Name
    Matthew Horowitz
    Boat
    Island Spirit
    Hi all! Im fairly new to fishing overnight boats and long range fishing, only did it once and had a blast. I love fishing the ocean but dont get a chance to do it that often. I wanted to hear what you guys had to say about possibly buying a new setup for yellowtail. I wanted to get something that could work well when I go out fishing in san diego but also for the channel islands yellowtail.

I currently only hsve 2 setups for fishing the boats.

A cheap liquid stix 7' 3" paired with a daiwa sealine 30
    A phoenix axis with a penn fathom 40N

Any suggestions on something not too expensive that I can get? I was looking at a calstar 270h-8 but I don't knnow much about the brand.

Thanks for the help!

Upvote 0

Rusty123

Yep
  • Mar 7, 2019
    Long Beach
    Name
    Rusty
    Boat
    Bayliner cuddy
    I would say you will be just fine with those 2 setups. Remember, the gear doesnt catch the fish, its the angler who does. Some guys will tell you that you need the most expensive gear you can find. Your 2 reels are plenty capable, and the Sealine has been around a long time for a reason.
    Now, if you want to buy new gear and flash some bling, go for it! But you will find out very soon that you will keep buying crap you dont need. Buying gear might be more addictive than fishing itself.

fyi- for YT, i still use my old ass squidders and jigmasters on big5 sabres, along with a lexa on a proteus, Sealine on a beef stick. I have plenty of expensive gear, but i like to carry my cheap stuff too.

How many times have you guys seen dudes with primo setups and not catch a damn thing?

Upvote 0

Pitchinwedge

• Aug 7, 2016
    So Cal
    Name
    Sammie
    Boat
    None
    Torium 16a for flyline bait and the 20a for iron work.

Edit: If I had to pick just one, I'd get the 20a. About the same size as the Fathom 25.

Reactions: bdubs73
    Upvote 0

Kai

Catch the big ones!
  • Mar 16, 2004
    Oxshit
    www.youtube.com
    Name
    Fish Killer
    Boat
    none.
    what would be better fathom or shimano?
    Fathom Star Drag. I like those reels better. I fished mine hard, without much servicing them for many years, and they cast really nice for minimal effort! Only service I have done has been put some oil the main spindle shaft, and some on the end bearings.

Still going strong after a 27 lb Yt, and a bunch of 8-12 lb yellowtail on the Fathom 12 1st gen! Not to mention cuda, and etc.

On my 25N Fathom, I hooked around a 70 lb bluefin. It took a beating for about an hour. The reel still fishes great and free spools!

Upvote 0

Kai

Catch the big ones!
  • Mar 16, 2004
    Oxshit
    www.youtube.com
    Name
    Fish Killer
    Boat
    none.
    What would be a good rod to go with it something probably under 200
    I am impressed with Turners Tri-Helix Rods. They are Phenix Axis blanks with premium SIC guides on them. Just check to make sure rod is splined.

Otherwise, swap meets and yard sales.

1Matthew
    1Matthew
    Ive looked around at em and heard that for throwing jigs was alright but its a little stiff. Im assuming it should be just fine for throwing irons
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Kai

Catch the big ones!
  • Mar 16, 2004
    Oxshit
    www.youtube.com
    Name
    Fish Killer
    Boat
    none.
    I am impressed with Turners Tri-Helix Rods. They are Phenix Axis blanks with premium SIC guides on them. Just check to make sure rod is splined.

Otherwise, swap meets and yard sales.
    What are you trying to do with the rod and reel?

What kind of iron?
    What lb test?

Upvote 0

1Matthew

• Aug 3, 2021
    Thousand Oaks
    Name
    Matthew Horowitz
    Boat
    Island Spirit
    I was thinking 40 pound test I would like to throw smaller irons like a tady C but I would really like to try and get a tady 45 out there

Upvote 0

Kai

Catch the big ones!
  • Mar 16, 2004
    Oxshit
    www.youtube.com
    Name
    Fish Killer
    Boat
    none.
    I was thinking 40 pound test I would like to throw smaller irons like a tady C but I would really like to try and get a tady 45 out there
    Tady C Range, and Tady 45 somewhat different weight irons. I would go something 20 or 15-40 with a softer Tip. My TriHelix 9 ft 15-40 is a good rod for that. U can get away with using 25 lb on it. I use it as my #25 lb stick. U can fish 40 lb at the end of the topshot if you like.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Kai

Catch the big ones!
  • Mar 16, 2004
    Oxshit
    www.youtube.com
    Name
    Fish Killer
    Boat
    none.
    What would be the most used iron you would say, I dont fish irons that much.
    It depends man on the bait size.
    When the fishing is good, and you got bigger baits, fish a Salas 7x, or now I like the Caivo 7x. Casts better.

Always match the bait to what the fish are eating, or chumming.

There are many times where I will fish a UFO 1 size jig.

And then there is everything else in between!

Upvote 0

smokinwater

"Fire's Out!"
    Apr 27, 2011
    Chula Vista, CA
    Name
    Jon
    Boat
    won't b mine
    I would say you will be just fine with those 2 setups. Remember, the gear doesnt catch the fish, its the angler who does. Some guys will tell you that you need the most expensive gear you can find. Your 2 reels are plenty capable, and the Sealine has been around a long time for a reason.
    Now, if you want to buy new gear and flash some bling, go for it! But you will find out very soon that you will keep buying crap you dont need. Buying gear might be more addictive than fishing itself.

fyi- for YT, i still use my old ass squidders and jigmasters on big5 sabres, along with a lexa on a proteus, Sealine on a beef stick. I have plenty of expensive gear, but i like to carry my cheap stuff too.

How many times have you guys seen dudes with primo setups and not catch a damn thing?
    Completely agree with Rusty here. Fish what you got, but when using this gear take the time to see what and how other guys do to catch fish. There's a lot that can be said about technique, and I for one lose mine if I'm off the water more than, say one month. Fishing can and will get expensive fast if you look to see what gear other people use and jones for it. Further down this thread, someone recommends keeping an eye out at yards sales and swap meets! I'll add Craigslist and Offer Up... IF you've done the research on specifications and pricing with and without line. I've also talked with the guys at tackle shops to learn about the specs and ratings. (I want to include that there was this young gal that worked at this tackle shop in the Midway district of San Diego. She was an absolute Jedi of knowledge!) Bottom line, learn more about the fishing you would do more often, fresh & saltwater, then learn technique from those people- and there is technique to their game- THEN learn specs so you will know WHY you want a particular reel and/or rod. My $.02

Reactions: Kai

1Matthew

• Aug 3, 2021
    Thousand Oaks
    Name
    Matthew Horowitz
    Boat
    Island Spirit
    Thank you for the helpful info. I have been looking actually at the penn fathom 25n for around 2 months now and did my research on it, still have not got it and the reason is that Im always learning!

Reactions: smokinwater
    Upvote 0