Advice on Fishing Sail Bay from Boat?

Norris1460

Oct 20, 2012
San Diego
Name
Scott Norris
Boat
Mysteries Unlimited
Hi All. Headed out on a buddy's sailboat this weekend and wondered if anyone had tips for hooking fish in Sail Bay. I'd planned on using plastics and live bait to fish on a Carolina Rig to see if we can hook halibut or rockfish. I've fished the bridge pilings throughout Mission Bay before, but never the open channel areas in Sail Bay. Any suggestions?

Upvote 0

Danthefishman

Oct 30, 2006
La Mesa
Name
Dan
Boat
Aquasport 215DC
I fish from shore often near the bahia which is close. There are alot of rays and guitar fish around there. It was slow up until a couple weeks ago, but it is starting to pick up a bit. Fish chunk bait (sardines, mackerel, etc) on a Carolina rig or dropshot with 15 or 20lb flouro. Catch your own macks and chum if you can. when they come, they can be thick it can be a blast. Other than that, there are always spotties tucked in the eel grass. fish gulp on a lead head. Good luck

Reactions: Norris1460

Norris1460

Oct 20, 2012
San Diego
Name
Scott Norris
Boat
Mysteries Unlimited
I fish from shore often near the bahia which is close. There are alot of rays and guitar fish around there. It was slow up until a couple weeks ago, but it is starting to pick up a bit. Fish chunk bait (sardines, mackerel, etc) on a Carolina rig or dropshot with 15 or 20lb flouro. Catch your own macks and chum if you can. when they come, they can be thick it can be a blast. Other than that, there are always spotties tucked in the eel grass. fish gulp on a lead head. Good luck
Thanks Dan! Great tip on the chum.