Roll the Bones

Dr. Fong
Jul 15, 2008
Operating Room
Name
Dr. Fong
Boat
Hewescraft 250 Alaskan
Ok boys, all kidding aside I am looking for a quick and easy Aluminum solution for local fishing down south here around the Columbia river, local lakes for Kokanee, Trout. My boat is just not convenient for a quick run to get my fix for Sturgeon on the river or the local lakes around my place down here in Battle Ground.
I am looking at Aluminum, 20 foot or less, outboard power with some cover from the weather. It will be fresh water only. Advice on Manufacturers would do me the most good, if you see a good one in classifieds anywhere I would appreciate the link. I do not want to travel to the ends of the earth to find one, I am sure there are plenty between Western Washington and Oregon to choose from.
I am not too picky on what manufacturer for power as they are all pretty good if they are cared for, however, appropriate horsepower to length/weight for my application is where I am looking for some real guidance. I know power for Glass boats pretty well but need help on Alloy!
I am sure you guys will rub it in with me looking at Aluminum, I can take it for the sake of finding a good solution!!!

Happy Daze

Grady Prick
May 17, 2011
Port Orchard Wa.
Name
Dave Johnson
Boat
24ft Grady White/16ft Moocher
Do you want a Tiller, Side Console or full console with a split windshield? Cheers and Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family I miss seeing you guys up here in the hood. Cheers DJ

The Peddler

Living vicariously through others.
May 28, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
Matt
Boat
2400 SeaSport Explorer - "Permanent Waves"
What's your budget?

There's a sweet 21-ft NorthRiver SeaHawk with a 175 Suzi in the WA Classifieds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pipejumper

Dec 17, 2014
Name
Larry
Boat
22' Alumaweld Intruder
An 18-20' Hewescraft Sportsman with a 115 is a good choice. A Hewescraft Pro V is even better.

Hewescraft and Alumaweld push their helms forward and generally have much more deck space than other brands. The ride is a little bouncier at the helm but the deck space more than makes up for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tambs

Yo BD! Color Screens-Invented Mid '50s. Jus sayin.
Oct 1, 2009
Tri-Cities, WA
Name
Tom
Boat
"Bottom Line" - 25' Carolina Classic SF
I love my Valco Baja Bayrunner for just those kinds of trips you are contemplating. 21', and 5+ nmpg with its 90hp Honda. It is no speed demon. Lightweight aluminum, but all welded. Ride is kind of rough in a chop, but it planes at very low speeds. Kind of hard to find unless you go to CA, but there are still a few around. Klamath bought them out a number of years ago, and Gregor makes something similar as well.

image.jpeg

Cohoho

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 19, 2010
Lake Tapps, Washington
Name
Cohoho
Boat
COHOHO - 23 ft Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore - SOLD
As you know no boat is 100% runnable, since you got the bigger Ocean boat, get a smaller jet windshield. Something like a Wooldridge 17-19ft Alaskan/Alaskan II. I had a 17ft Alaskan with 90 Honda Jet in AK and wish like hell I had it here! Runs skinny, heck, I think I could have run up a driveway if enough people pissed on it... But Stable enough for anchoring in Columbia river for also my favorite fish - Sturgeon! I ran the Susitna and Copper river drainages, both way more turbulent/braided than the Big C, but as I left the big rivers, I could get to places only places airboats could, as big jets had to turn back. With this combo of boats you can fish anywhere - big boat for ocean/salt and buoy 10 and then little sled jet anywhere else you please... Cowlitz/Kalama as an example... Don't buy another prop, mix it up so you can run all the places. I know as soon as I decide which "BIGGER" boat I am getting, I will make this exact choice, right now mine is a 60% boat and reason I am keeping til I make a purchase of Salt boat. Or come Sturgeon fishing with me til you decide...

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
laurence
Boat
2021 Allied WildCat 30
I was thinking you could grab a Bayrunner or Gregor, but those light tin boats would beat the hell out of you when the wind kicked up. Then again, if you're only making short runs, no biggie. Get good spring ride seats or Seaspension pedestals :)

bobberdoggin

‘Butt Kraken
Mar 23, 2015
Name
Thomas
Boat
22’ SeaSport Sportsman ‘Butt Kraken
Here's my setup. 90/65 pump for the rivers and prop lower unit for lakes and sound. Drives like a car and can go anywhere.

Last edited:

Chasin' Tail

~Jumpers!!~ <*)))><
Aug 10, 2008
Lacey WA
Name
Mike
Boat
17' Thor-Built Sled, 27' NorthRiver OS
Lakes & fishing that far up river, I think a tiller sled would get you the most bang.
Something in the 18' range 115/80 jet is the right HP.
Fish off of all sides easily. Add a canvas top if you want to sit out in the rain or on anchor all day.
Me, I hunted for 3 years looking for the sled I got..
it's the small river freedrifting machine.

Knowing your budget & how many people you want to fish on the boat would help narrow down the choices.

IMG_0764.JPG

Last edited:

Swede

Yachtless
May 2, 2008
Pacific Northwest
Name
Swede
Boat
Kristen Lee
Alumaweld Columbia, taller sides, 14 deg bottom for rougher water. 200hp prop tiller.

TonyG

Nov 19, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Name
Tony
Boat
NR Seahawk OS 26'; 20' Alumaweld Super Vee Sled
I like my 20' Alumaweld Super Vee with pump. Opens up skinny rivers in addition to lakes etc. Seems like a pump boat would be the right compliment to your GW.

-t

South Sounder

Skipper
Jun 12, 2011
South Sound/ WA/ USA
Name
Chris
Boat
South Sounder
I loved my 20' Super V with a center console and 150 Yamaha prop. It had the 15 degree bottom. Fished everywhere from Westport to American lake. Wish I never had sold it. I had a bow mount remote electric minn kota and a T8. I could launch it in shallow water and maintence was simple.

Roll the Bones

Dr. Fong
Jul 15, 2008
Operating Room
Name
Dr. Fong
Boat
Hewescraft 250 Alaskan
I am going to stay away from the open, tiller type, need cover for Elaine. I guess biggest concern is to what I should stay away from as far as manufacturers. My budget is under 20 grand. I do like the idea of a outboard Jet pump, in that case gonna need a kicker.

tambs

Yo BD! Color Screens-Invented Mid '50s. Jus sayin.
Oct 1, 2009
Tri-Cities, WA
Name
Tom
Boat
"Bottom Line" - 25' Carolina Classic SF
I think outboard pumps are overrated in the Columbia. HP loss and inefficiency by themselves are bad enough, but when the milfoil and stargrass are factored in they are headaches. Inboard pumps suffer the same affliction, and unless you routinely run skinny water the advantages of a pump will not be realized.

I've spent very little time in the Columbia around Portland, so maybe the weed problem there isn't as bad as farther upriver.

QwikSticks

Chucka
Jun 30, 2008
Brier, WA
Name
Brian M
Boat
Parker 2320
Go Outboard Pump, No windshields, I am a big fan of rear center consoles with canvas for the front to be under when at anchor. This combo will also work for fishing the Cowlitz and other smaller rivers. My favorite boat was my 19' Duckworth Pro-Steelheader rear console with a 200hp Yamaha Jet.

Nick Rudnick

Nov 20, 2014
Edmonds
www.rudnickmfg.com
Name
Nick R
Boat
17' Aluminum Skiff
I would go with a used welded aluminum. I would stay away from brands that use the box girder construction method as the beams they use for support will hold water, and that isnt very good if it has ever been used in the salt. Outboard pump is a good way to go, it is very functional, but if the hull is tunneled, you will need a bay kit to get the prop at the right height, a jack plate will cause performance issues.

Best advise I can give is keep is simple, based on where you plan on using it, stick to a name brand that has been around a while, and have somebody knowledgeable on tin come out and look with you to look for problem areas on the hull.

dragonballs

I'm off probation
Mar 28, 2008
Arlington WA
Name
Vance
Boat
40' ocean sport fisher
duckworth or weldcraft deep vee if your going to use it a lot on the columbia. excellent build quality.

Area13

That's gonna leave a mark!
Jul 21, 2014
Fox Island, WA
Name
Clint
Boat
Hewes
I'll vouch for Hewes. Love my boat after almost 3 years. No problems, built like a tank, excellent welds. Mines the ProV with high sides, extended transom and 30 entry-14 degree bottom for a good compromise between stability and wave cutting for an 18-20' boat. I'm propped, but can still do pretty skinny water. Canvass is over 6' high, Wife stays warm and dry inside in the winter, I live on the deck. Launch Easily by myself, feels safe in snotty weather, Love it.