Advice Needed (Skipjack 24 Open)

Dec 28, 2018
Escondido
Name
Tallyphillips
Boat
2001 Seachaser 186 DLX
I don't mean for this post to be a duplicate. I started a similar thread in the skipjack forum area but I think I need some further advice. A few members on my other thread said simply to run as fast as I can. I totally understand and agree with what they're saying but for some reason this one just seems different.

I'll keep it as brief as I can I promise.
2 weeks ago I drove up to Riverside from San Diego to look at a 1978 Skipjack 24 open. The boat is on its second owner. The current owner purchased the boat 5 years ago and has only used the boat about 5 to 6 times. The original owner re-powered the boat in 2004 with a Penta 5.0 GXI he also added a new Penta SX outdrive at the time as well. The motor currently has 389 hours on it.

The owner is selling it because he simply does not use it and it is getting covered in dirt due to his nearby horse corral. I went up and took a look at the boat. It has clearly been sitting outside as it was covered in dirt and the wood could definitely use a refinish. The floors transom and stringers seemed very solid there was no smell of gas and no sign of oil leaking anywhere. He had the motor running as I pulled up.

I told him I wasn't interested after sleeping on it and two weeks later I think I'm interested. He's asking $14,000 and I don't think the worth is there. I know it was repowered with a great motor and has low hours but it has been sitting for so long and uncared for for so long.

The trailer definitely needs an entire new disc brake system.

I need your guy's advice as I don't want to let this be the one that got away. The boat would be a perfect size and there's just nothing like those skipjack opens anymore. I'm not scared to throw $6000 at this boat to bring it up to speed. But I don't know if what he's asking for is even fair. My gut is that the boat is worth 10 to 12,000 max if everything checks out with the motor.

What do you guys think I should do? Should I hire a surveyor? Will a surveyor be able to closely inspect the penta motor and outdrive? Should I do a sea trial? Should I just move on and try to find something that's in better shape?
What does it look like to service a motor that has been sitting for so long? I know he kept fresh oil and gas in it and ran the motor once a month on a hose.

I'm going to attach some photos of the areas that caught my attention and even caused concern. Thank you in advance for your wisdom and insight.

20210705_120806.jpg

20210705_120853.jpg

20210705_120844.jpg

20210705_115940.jpg

20210705_115607.jpg

20210705_115553.jpg

20210705_115359.jpg

20210705_114928.jpg

20210705_114855.jpg

20210705_114846.jpg

20210705_114722.jpg

Reactions: repo805
Upvote 0

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
Are you mechanically inclined, can you diagnose and repair electrical issues? If the answer is yes, then this could be a good buy. It’s a sought after boat with a good reputation, but it is an old boat.

FWIW, I’ve brought home bigger turds, and had fun making them good again. If you feel it’s the right boat for you, and are willing to tackle old boat issues, then I say offer what you believe is fair.

Upvote 0
Dec 28, 2018
Escondido
Name
Tallyphillips
Boat
2001 Seachaser 186 DLX
Are you mechanically inclined, can you diagnose and repair electrical issues? If the answer is yes, then this could be a good buy. It’s a sought after boat with a good reputation, but it is an old boat.

FWIW, I’ve brought home bigger turds, and had fun making them good again. If you feel it’s the right boat for you, and are willing to tackle old boat issues, then I say offer what you believe is fair.
Yes, mechanically inclined BUT when it comes to the engine is rather let a pro take care of it. I did rewire my entire sea chaser last year. VERY expensive for the marine grade wiring, but it came out clean and by the books.

Reactions: repo805
Upvote 0
Dec 28, 2018
Escondido
Name
Tallyphillips
Boat
2001 Seachaser 186 DLX

FWIW, I’ve brought home bigger turds, and had fun making them good again. If you feel it’s the right boat for you, and are willing to tackle old boat issues, then I say offer what you believe is fair

I definitely don't want to rip up the floor and redo stringers or redo the transom. If there is a definitive way to rule out moisture/rot or termites I would love to do that before purchasing.

Upvote 0

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
You have a Sea Chaser? Since you already own a boat, you have a good idea of what you’re in for. Cosmetics aren’t a huge issue to me as long as it’s structurally sound.

I’m with hismosa on the price though. I would want better condition for 14k.

One thing about deals, there will always be another one.

Upvote 0
Dec 28, 2018
Escondido
Name
Tallyphillips
Boat
2001 Seachaser 186 DLX
You have a Sea Chaser? Since you already own a boat, you have a good idea of what you’re in for. Cosmetics aren’t a huge issue to me as long as it’s structurally sound.

I’m with hismosa on the price though. I would want better condition for 14k.

One thing about deals, there will always be another one.
I sold to sea chaser last year. I miss that boat so much It didn't do anything great but it did everything well.

Forgive me if this is a little off topic. There's definitely a lot of skipjack 20 opens around. How much would it cost to re-power one of those boats and also have a new outdrive put on as well. I know that's a very broad question. But maybe ball park?

More specifically a 357 mercruiser carbed with a merc outdrive too.

Upvote 0

mrfishcado

Los Panchos Sportfishing
Mar 25, 2006
Pomona, CA
Name
Paco
Boat
1996 Ranger 488VS 1980 24' Skipjack "La Cuarentona"
I have a rebuilt Volvo Penta 5.7L fuel injected, one shop quoted me $4700 for a new small block alone.

Upvote 0

SD2600

Opinions aren’t constitutional- they are earned
Apr 13, 2017
San diego
Name
Dustin
Boat
26' sea swirl
That boat has a solid package with the vp and sx out drive… if you were to buy those and have a shop install them on a diff boat my honest guess is you would prolly pay 14k.
That engine looks dirty no big deal… sitting 5 years it would be a good idea to replace all hoses, thermostat, impeller. Pull risers and manifolds check and replace as needed….don’t be afraid of working on the engine. Fairly simple and u save $$$ on labor

I would have more reserve about the condition of the fuel tank….. is it original? Has the fuel been sitting in there for the last 5 years? That answer will give u play on what a honest offer to make on the boat…

As for the trailer.. what year are the tires? 5+ years? They need to be replaced before u trailer back to sd….. another bargaining point…..

lots of key points to look at. Cosmetic stuff doesn’t matter.
Keep us posted

Upvote 0
Dec 28, 2018
Escondido
Name
Tallyphillips
Boat
2001 Seachaser 186 DLX
That boat has a solid package with the vp and sx out drive… if you were to buy those and have a shop install them on a diff boat my honest guess is you would prolly pay 14k.
That engine looks dirty no big deal… sitting 5 years it would be a good idea to replace all hoses, thermostat, impeller. Pull risers and manifolds check and replace as needed….don’t be afraid of working on the engine. Fairly simple and u save $$$ on labor

I would have more reserve about the condition of the fuel tank….. is it original? Has the fuel been sitting in there for the last 5 years? That answer will give u play on what a honest offer to make on the boat…

As for the trailer.. what year are the tires? 5+ years? They need to be replaced before u trailer back to sd….. another bargaining point…..

Keep us posted
Thanks man! So to summarize replace all rubbers everywhere haha. Trailer and boat. The tank was replace with a stainless steel one back in 07. Looks to be in good condition.

Upvote 0
Dec 28, 2018
Escondido
Name
Tallyphillips
Boat
2001 Seachaser 186 DLX

Keep us posted
Do you think it's worth 600$ for surveyor? Everything appeared to be very strong to me. The only thing that was concerning was the amount of rust under the drive. I don't know if that is normal or indicative of something wrong. I also noticed there was a black seal around the drive. Almost look like some sort of sealant that was put on after the drivers installed, It was lifting towards the bottom.

Upvote 0

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
Rust under the drive seems common from what I’ve seen. I think it’s the "stainless” bolts going through the transom. Some bar keepers friend will clean that up.

With a new tank in 07’ that would help my decision! My skippy is probably gonna need a new tank sooner than later, and I’m not looking forward to that project.

I think it’s worth a sea (or lake) trial. Once it’s in the water, look down in the bilge to see water is getting in from that shield seal. I doubt it’s a serious issue, those seals are pretty tough.

Reactions: flytie
Upvote 0

flytie

Oct 20, 2012
Orange, CA USA
Name
GC
Boat
Out of Office - Custom Invader CC
All neglected boats hide secrets. Take that to your grave.

I'm going to go with the value of "new" just to give you worst case idea:

Trailer is in rough shape. New trailer: $4000ish.
Rewire - $1200-2000K
Good solid detail - $600 (supplies, buffer, time)
Run through the motor and drive at a good mechanic - $350
Fix gelcoat blemishes - $1200 and up

$14000
-$4000
-$2000
-$600
-$1200
= $6200

That is where I START my negotiation.

On top of that you have upholstery, money in the bank for a fuel tank ($1600), new hoses for fuel, modern electronics...

Building a boat is a great experience and the pride of ownership afterwards great. The money to get there is not the fun part. Break Out Another Thousand. BOAT.

Reactions: Arima-bob
Upvote 0

SD2600

Apr 13, 2017
San diego
Name
Dustin
Boat
26' sea swirl
A survey at $600 being worth it depends on what it includes…

in my opinion taking that $600 and buying a few tools opens the door for u to preform all the same tasks… not only do u learn in the process but it’s fun… aside from reading the computer. U can check fuel pressure, compression test the engine, check fluids, check water flow, for a lot less than $600…

. Bd as well as other sites are a Wealth of knowledge. But knowledge is useless u less u turn it into experience….where is sd are u located?

Reactions: clevel
Upvote 0
Dec 28, 2018
Escondido
Name
Tallyphillips
Boat
2001 Seachaser 186 DLX
So grateful for your guy's responses and wisdom on this. I will definitely be passing on this boat. For real the experience and knowledge on this one thread is insane.

Thanks guys.

Upvote 0

Mike_I

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 19, 2006
Irvine
Name
Mike_I
Boat
Cabo 216 First Love
Go back to look at the boat and bring one of these with you to scan the hull. He may be more flexible with the price when this thing starts beeping and turning red, it may help in your decision too.

General Tools MMD7NP Pinless, Non-Invasive, Non-Marring, Digital Moisture Meter​

You can get one from amazon with free return

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dec 28, 2018
Escondido
Name
Tallyphillips
Boat
2001 Seachaser 186 DLX
Go back to look at the boat and bring one of these with you to scan the hull. He may be more flexible with the price when this thing starts beeping and turning red, it may help in your decision too.

General Tools MMD7NP Pinless, Non-Invasive, Non-Marring, Digital Moisture Meter​

You can get one from amazon with free return
Unfortunately he doubled down on the price. I just don't feel comfortable offering $14k for something I know will need quite a bit of work.

Upvote 0

SD2600

Apr 13, 2017
San diego
Name
Dustin
Boat
26' sea swirl
https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/classifieds/1975-24’-skipjack-flybridge.4303/