Advice Full Day Trip on the Enterprise Out of Pierpoint (Tuna?)

Zachst

Aug 14, 2021
SB
Name
zach
Boat
N/A
Hey all, first post here. Haven't been out on the water the past couple of years (Moved to Dallas and back). Have been seeing the reports of Bluefin/Yellows on the full day trips and even on some 3/4's. Most of my experience comes from 3/4 day trips going for barracuda/sand bass/the occasional yellow at Catalina but that's about it. Most of my equipment is for what I consider mid sized fish and I'm not too sure how well it will handle the Tuna especially if we get into some better sizes (will post the reels/line we plan to bring below). To make it a little more interesting I'm taking a newbie with me.

Would appreciate any opinions on if we should perhaps start the newbie on something more mellow, and if we have the equipment suited for this type of fishing. Not entirely sure the size of Tuna they're into right now, but most pictures I've seen they look to be 15-40.

Reels/Line -
Penn GTO 220 - 30lb Mono
Okuma Pro CL 302l -30lb Mono
Shimano 6500B - 35lb Mono
Shimano Sea Spin 6500 - 30lb Mono

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Edit : Hook suggestions would be extremely helpful as well

Edit 2: Accidental double post - Mods feel free to delete.​

Last edited:
Upvote 0

simmo13

I Should Upgrade My Account
Nov 12, 2010
Lb inshore
Name
Simmo
Boat
19’ baja bayrunner!!!!!
all seems undergunned. U need a conventional reel like a 20/30 size torium trinidad avet daiwa u could prolly find one cheap before u push off. U may need a new rod too.

Upvote 0

af dreamer

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Apr 16, 2007
long beach,ca
Name
tom
Boat
44 luhrs dreamer
Take a 20 lb outfit.The local fish the last few days have been long soak daylight fish.Told by a couple boats they had to go down from 30 to get bit.Looked like a slow day today.Tom

Upvote 0