sabalo1964

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 7, 2015
North america
Name
Sabalo
Boat
36 yellowfin
I love these reels and am going to buy a couple, Nice and light for stand up fishing in a CC boat. The problem is they are a bit small if a hot 800lb plus marlin hits. Im a bit concerned on the capacity. I plan to load them with a130lb Gerry Brown braid with 130lb monomi 100 yard topshot.
I have 2 Avet 50wides loaded this way and this system has not let me down.They have managed marlin from 300-750lbs with no issue. Im very happy with them but like to try new gear and go lighter.

What I'm thinking of doing is adding in 2-300 yards of 60lb yellow gerry brown hollow at the bottom and then splicing in the 130lb hollow. This will give me extra protection and capacity just in case a big girl grabs on the Talica 50s.

I will also use these Talicas for chunking so I want the heavy braid for lifting a 2-300lb yellowfin.

Comments advice appreciated.

FAT CAT

FAT CAT
Nov 11, 2007
Baja Sur, MX
Name
Bill Burkett
Boat
22' Twin-Vee Catamaran POLE CAT
Because you mention the lighter weight of the Talica compared to 50 wides, I expect that you'll be stand-up fishing. If so, I'd recommend you load the reel with 80# braid instead of the 130#. A stand-up angler cannot use drag settings high enough to warrant the heavier line and I can tell you from experience that you can put plenty of pressure on a blue with 80#. Also, I think the Jerry Brown braid is hollow, which makes it larger in diameter than regular braid and pretty much causes you to loose the best thing about braid - more line capacity.

I've been using a Talica 25 with 80# braid and haven't had any worries about running out of line. All the fish I've caught on it so far have been between 200 and 300 pounds, but they've not taken more than half the line from the reel. I think there's 700 yards of braid with a hundred yard mono top shot. The Talica 50 holds 1100 yards of 80#.

Reactions: marlineer84

sabalo1964

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 7, 2015
North america
Name
Sabalo
Boat
36 yellowfin
Thank you for the info.I agree 80lb would probably hold any marlin, but in the last year unfortunately I have had two big fish get tail wrapped while dancing.Of course they died down deep during the fight. We were forced to hand line them in. Basically pulling as hard as we could for 45 minutes, 2 feet at a time.I could have cut the line but thats a waste of fish and line.So thats my only hesitation with 80lb.

Why they get tail wrapped ,I have no clue. Just bad luck. I hate killing fish, especially big beautiful marlin but I guess its part of the game. I use a 14 foot 400lb leader to swivel then my topshot.

FM-Outside

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 9, 2015
Name
Frank
Boat
Anchor Baby
Because you mention the lighter weight of the Talica compared to 50 wides, I expect that you'll be stand-up fishing. If so, I'd recommend you load the reel with 80# braid instead of the 130#. A stand-up angler cannot use drag settings high enough to warrant the heavier line and I can tell you from experience that you can put plenty of pressure on a blue with 80#. Also, I think the Jerry Brown braid is hollow, which makes it larger in diameter than regular braid and pretty much causes you to loose the best thing about braid - more line capacity.
I was under the impression that hollow braid flattened out in the spool and slightly increased capacity. Is that not the case? Don't remember where I read that, probably a post on here.

Last edited:

FM-Outside

Apr 9, 2015
Name
Frank
Boat
Anchor Baby
Thank you for the info.I agree 80lb would probably hold any marlin, but in the last year unfortunately I have had two big fish get tail wrapped while dancing.Of course they died down deep during the fight. We were forced to hand line them in. Basically pulling as hard as we could for 45 minutes, 2 feet at a time.I could have cut the line but thats a waste of fish and line.So thats my only hesitation with 80lb.

Why they get tail wrapped, I have no clue. Just bad luck. I hate killing fish, especially big beautiful marlin but I guess its part of the game. I use a 14 foot 400lb leader to swivel then my topshot.
Not to hijack your thread but its on the same topic ...
How heavy of a top shot can you splice into hollow 80? I bought a Tac 20 as a pitch setup last season, its spooled with 80 hollow. It's currently tied to a short 80lb mono leader as I Live in the desert and haven't found anyone that can do a hollow splice. It handled beautifully on the single 175lb blue that stuck, but I'd like to splice it to some 100 or heavier mono for the abrasion protection in case a bigger blue or black comes up.

Last edited:

FAT CAT

FAT CAT
Nov 11, 2007
Baja Sur, MX
Name
Bill Burkett
Boat
22' Twin-Vee Catamaran POLE CAT
Hi Frank, There may be some evidence somewhere that proves you can get more line on the reel with hollow braid, but I have both types and I'd have to say from what I see that that's not possible. Even flattened the hollow stuff is twice the size of standard Power Pro (both 80#).

Reactions: FM-Outside

RideHPD

Enthusiastic Idiot Rookie
Aug 14, 2016
Del Mar/Marina Del Rey, CA
Name
Eric Marin
Boat
10' Model T
The best shops pack it with a significant amount of tension with line winders that ensure the tension stays constant throughout spooling, which maximizes capacity, in addition to the hollow flattening out on the reel and minimizing void space. 100lb Jerry Brown is thinner than their 80lb. Basil of BHP Tackle, (ifish42na on here) can probably guide you further with getting the most amount of line on.

Last edited:

Cast Gold

hss AHHHH...hss AHHHH....
Jul 1, 2005
Tustin
Name
Kris
Boat
Mike's
A friend of mine brought 2 Tallica 50s on a 14 day Intrepid trip. Both reels had their anti-reverse fail on big fish. On the second bite, the captain decided to intervene by wrapping the line around his arm while the crew cut it and splice to another rig to get the fish in. I believe the fish went mid 100s. The passenger got both reels serviced by Shimano before he sold them off.

bays90

Mar 17, 2010
Kailua-Kona HI USA
Name
Chris
Boat
46' Viking, Mi Novia, Quepos, Costa Rica
First off I want to fish where you are at if you are seeing that kind of fish consistently. Talicas are ok, I have not used them much, but I have plenty of Tiagras, personally I have moved to Avets for the same reasons you have mentioned lighter weight and incredible drag settings. We now fish in CR where most of the fish Blue Marlin are 125-300. I use the Avet 50 wide you mentioned awesome marlin set up for trolling lures. I have some fish in Hawaii on that past 700#. Light enough to fish stand up in a good harness and plenty of capacity and we like to put the heat on them. I have used Avet LX in Costa Rica and Cabo on fish up to 450 pounds by mistake of course. I use an Avet HX Raptor for pitch baiting when I had my boat in Cabo and in CR that works great, plenty of drag and handled large tunas and marlin great. Loaded with 80# spectra a topshot of 60# momoi diamond more than enough line.

Line capacity should never be an issue especially on a center console, you should be turned around heading toward the fish long before you ever run out of line.

Exactly like bill said you can't fish drag settings high enough to fish 130 spectra so why use it. you can't put enough drag on anything other than maybe a 130 class reel or the Avet Quad drags to get a 700#+ fish up that died. If that happens you have to put the rod in the rod holder and plane the fish up with the boat. All of the best heavy tackle captains in world (Kona, Bermuda, and Cairns) lose big fish that have died frequently on 130 outfits, so don't expect to get them on a 50.

Here is my biggest problem with the Avets and the Talicas will have the same problem, I am not sure how you are fishing currently, live baiting, trolling, or bait and Switch (different concept all together on gear). I like to troll lures and the issue that I have is clearing the spread, when we have a bite and a fish is on. The spools are so much smaller and it takes way longer to clear things out especially when you have a hot fish steaming in the opposite direction, while continue in the other keeping the line tight till we can get the angler harnessed and the lines cleared. I can clear the lines with 80's twice as fast as the 50's and smaller avets take forever when we are using them to troll like we do during sailfish season. So when we are fishing marlin we run just 4 lines and use the bigger gear (50's), when we are bait and switching we run the 80's to clear the teasers faster.

To Answer the other guys question you can put up to 100 mono on a 80 pound hollow core spectra we use Momoi Diamond 80 pound for IGFA tournaments or 100# Momoi Diamond for non IGFA fishing when we are going big. We have not found a brand of 130 that would fit well enough in the 80 to get a good splice the way we like it. If you Bimini both ends and connect it that way you can run 130# mono but that defeats the purpose of using hollowcore.

sabalo1964

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 7, 2015
North america
Name
Sabalo
Boat
36 yellowfin
Thanks for all the input guys. I ended up doing what a few of the members recommended, I sent the reels to Basil and let him deal with it. ??Hes the expert so why try and re invent the reel. He loaded them with 100ln Berley spectra and got over 1000 yards on and a 100yard 100lb top shot. ?He does a great job and its well worth the price.
I thought I had all my problems solved prior to my last marlin trip-then a monster hit and my brand new Avet 50 wide seized up. The reel jammed mid run-it was a very scary situation=the 130lb mono finally broke but almost lost the reel. I'm glad I wasn't strapped into my harness. It will be going back to Avet for inspection.
My next question to you marlin experts- is there a reel that never fails. I bought the Avet 50Wides because I thought they were the best. And I take great care of my gear. Accurate Platinum 50W might be my next purchase ?
I landed several 500lb marlin on the Talica 50s with no issue and they are great for standup but they are a bit small for fish over 700lbs.

bays90

Mar 17, 2010
Kailua-Kona HI USA
Name
Chris
Boat
Again, where are you fishing?

I have had my Avet 50W's for 7 years and the other 5 Avets for 3-5 years and I have never had one seize up. I have had all my Tiagras for 10+ years never had one of them seize up, plus several Penn internationals no issues with those either.

Maybe you need to look at your maintenance regime on your reels, also how you are cleanings them after use? Are you using proper drag settings and presets? Are you backing the drag off when the fish gets stretched out?

Avet's are pretty well bullet proof. I am not saying I haven't had some issues with mine, but I have never had the drags seize up. Mainly my issues are the clickers, I did have a reel mechanism fail once, and the handles suck on the smaller reels. They were developed by guys in California, who were doing the long range trips out of San Diego, catching cow tunas. Guys who learned from the best like Cal Sheets on how to soup up drags on small light weight reels spooled with braid, for the specific purpose of catching giant Yellowfin from a fairly stationary vessel bent over the rail. Avet and to some extent Accurate have really set the bar for reel drags, which all of the other have followed suit on so they are all good. My issues with Accurate have always been they weren't worth double the cost of a Tiagra. I don't mind spending money, but still can't see that value after 10+ years of flawless operation of the Tiagras and Avets.

When the Avet came out with a 50 W that could get 100# of drag at strike, we moved to those from Tiagra 80's and 130's. They are a lot easier to handle, move to the chair, and are lighter for stand up fishing than 80's and 130's, and have more drag than the 130 outfits.

sabalo1964

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 7, 2015
North america
Name
Sabalo
Boat
36 yellowfin
Thank you for the input. I basically agree with everything you said. Thats why i bought a couple Avet 50 wides- high drag and light weight. They are fantastic for centre counsal stand up fishing. The reels are only a year old and have been on 4 trips -probably only caught 3 or 4 marlin on each reel. I will be honest, I have not completed any maintenance and didn't think I had to at this early stage. After every trip I rinse them off , and put them into dry storage. They have never been submerged in salt water. When i do have to perform maintenance I would send them back to the manufacturer to ensure its done properly.

Im a pretty fanatic fisherman with my gear. I bought these reels from Pelagic Outfitter complete with custom rods--they are great by the way. I had them professionally spool it and ensure all the knots are perfect. I change my mono topshots every trip or after a big fish. And all my spinning reels i send to Basil for spooling to ensure there's no issues. .
I go to extreme lengths to avoid any equipment malfunctions. I probably spend way more money than i have to but that's just how I do things to avoid disappointment. And then a new reel jamms on a monster fish.
It will be sent back to Avet for a review. It will be interesting to see what they say. I love my Avets and dont want to get rid of them , but confidence plays a large role in fishing.
My guide who has 15 years experience does all the drag pre sets etc. We set at 40lbs. Like I said the reel was unloading fast and we were running low on braid, no one touched the drag and it jammed. We wound in the line and with 2 hands I could not pull mono off the reel.

I guess I will just wait and see what they say before I make a decision.

bays90

Mar 17, 2010
Kailua-Kona HI USA
Name
Chris
Boat
interesting I would like to know what they come up with, but trust me I would not lose any confidence in those reels at all.

sabalo1964

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 7, 2015
North america
Name
Sabalo
Boat
36 yellowfin
I tend to agree. I will advise you once I get them back. I have 0 skills when it comes to mechanics and repairs or would open it up myself before I send it off. I think I would just do more damage.

Reactions: fishnfly

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
How heavy of a top shot can you splice into hollow 80? I bought a Tac 20 as a pitch setup last season, its spooled with 80 hollow. It's currently tied to a short 80lb mono leader as I Live in the desert and haven't found anyone that can do a hollow splice. It handled beautifully on the single 175lb blue that stuck, but I'd like to splice it to some 100 or heavier mono for the abrasion protection in case a bigger blue or black comes up.

Use a FG knot...

Northeastfshman

I see OJ
Dec 20, 2008
San Clemente
Name
Brett Weinberg
Boat
Parker 2120SCDV

I love making top shots. 100 should go into 80 but if you can't make that work then make a loop in the hollow core using a reverse latch needle. Then splice the 100lb mono into an appropriately sized hollow core then put a loop on the end of that hollow core and connect the two with a cats paw.

Not hard to do but you need a TON of tools. You can order the top shots from Basil (BHP Tackle) and just get a reverse latch needle and do the loop in the hollow core at the end of your reel.

How to match a loop in hollow core.

Aliboy

Dec 27, 2017
NZ
Name
David
Boat
44ft Sportfisher

Why they get tail wrapped ,I have no clue. Just bad luck. I hate killing fish, especially big beautiful marlin but I guess its part of the game. I use a 14 foot 400lb leader to swivel then my topshot.
Tail wrapped Blues just seem to happen. We see them here in New Zealand as well. I suspect it is to do with how they 'dance'. Our Stripies don't get tail wrapped as often, but they leap differently to the Blues.
There is a 'technique' for raising dead marlin by using the boat and some fast winding etc. Last one I raised dead was a 450lb Blue on 80lb line out of 650ft of water. That was relatively simple. Not sure about an 800lb fish on 80lb, but 450lb wasn't causing any real problems. If you don't know it already, you might find some instructions on the technique in case you ever need it. I probably have some video of one of our dead fish being raised somewhere. Hand lifting big fish on nylon sucks, and the chance of a bust off is pretty good on the big ones.

bays90

Mar 17, 2010
Kailua-Kona HI USA
Name
Chris
Boat
Tail wrapped Blues just seem to happen. We see them here in New Zealand as well. I suspect it is to do with how they 'dance'. Our Stripies don't get tail wrapped as often, but they leap differently to the Blues.
There is a 'technique' for raising dead marlin by using the boat and some fast winding etc. Last one I raised dead was a 450lb Blue on 80lb line out of 650ft of water. That was relatively simple. Not sure about an 800lb fish on 80lb, but 450lb wasn't causing any real problems. If you don't know it already, you might find some instructions on the technique in case you ever need it. I probably have some video of one of our dead fish being raised somewhere. Hand lifting big fish on nylon sucks, and the chance of a bust off is pretty good on the big ones.
The technique you are referring to is called planing the fish up, its basically motoring forward with high drag trying not to let the line slip off the reel to increase the line angle, then back up on it quickly to capture as much line as you can. We use it a lot Hawaii when a fish has died, also a side note is the fish does not need to be dead for it to work you can get one of those big blues that just sit down below the boat and pout you can do the same thing. Have had friends who have had mud come up on the bills of dead fish 7-800 from depths of several thousand feet. The trick is not to let them get that far down as soon as you can tell the fish is dead get after them planing. Truly gigantic fish most times can not be stopped once they start to sink even on 130's.

FM-Outside

Apr 9, 2015
Name
Frank
Boat
Anchor Baby
I love making top shots. 100 should go into 80 but if you can't make that work then make a loop in the hollow core using a reverse latch needle. Then splice the 100lb mono into an appropriately sized hollow core then put a loop on the end of that hollow core and connect the two with a cats paw.

Not hard to do but you need a TON of tools. You can order the top shots from Basil (BHP Tackle) and just get a reverse latch needle and do the loop in the hollow core at the end of your reel.

How to match a loop in hollow core.
I came across some videos of guys using store bought wind-ons with a loop to loop connection to what looked like bimini twist on their main line. Seemed super easy and I don't mind buying the leaders as I'm not fishing every day. (My boat is a 5 hour drive into mexico so I'll be lucky to et one or 2 weekend trips a month during season if my wife will tolerate it.)
Gotta admit I've never even attempted to learn a bimini twist as I've always heard how complicated it is, I guess its worth learning now that I plan on doing a lot more billfishing. Out of curiosity would a simpler knot like a triple surgeon's or perfection loop not get the job done as far as creating a loop end to attach the wind on to?

Aliboy

Dec 27, 2017
NZ
Name
David
Boat
44ft Sportfisher
Reason for using a Bimimi or Plait is that they are as close as you can reasonably get to 100% knot strength. No use creating loops and losing a big % of your line strength.

FM-Outside

Apr 9, 2015
Name
Frank
Boat
Anchor Baby
Reason for using a Bimimi or Plait is that they are as close as you can reasonably get to 100% knot strength. No use creating loops and losing a big % of your line strength.
Yeah I looked up some videos last night after posting that and the Bimini seems way easier than I’ve heard it made out to be. Tried it a few times, it seemed fine until I really pulled on it and the loop would start to slip right before the mai line broke. Not sure if I’m getting the finish right. I saw one guy saying to use super glue on braid.