Advice for Gulf coast, off shore/near shore fishing.

CVN68

Aug 23, 2021
Borden, Indiana
Name
Skippy Scotty Spencer
Boat Name
No
Hello everyone, I have been a reader for a couple years now and would like advice from the experts. I live in Indiana and must travel to the Gulf to fish. I just came back in August from a inshore trip and had a blast. I want to snapper fish. Possibly even grouper..
I want to have fun even if I’m wrong lol.
I have purchased a Loomis IMX 903c pro-blue. It’s a heck of a rod. I also have acquired an Shimano Conquest 401. I have also grabbed a Saragosa sw5000xg but have not acquired a rod for it. I have a TranX 300 as well as a Calcutta 300TE ..
I’m not a fan of braid. But I know it has great application especially for deeper water jigging I think. I lived in Florida for six years but primarily fished for largemouth. About 18 months of coastal fishing the salt. I traveled to Puerto Rico and stuck 30 pound tarpon but it was all on bass sized equipment, no landing on tarpon lol. I should have asked you guys & gals opinions sooner but I digress.
Any recommendations on a change up of equipment choice? Constructive criticism is welcome as well. I can only travel there two or three times yearly and I’m hoping my gear choices thus far will work reasonably well. It will also be used on Cumberland lake for stripper fishing..
Thank you for reading and I do appreciate any help from you salt guys..
God bless...

MACflyer

May 12, 2021
SWFL
Name
Ricardo
Boat Name
Yes
CVN68, I think any of the reels you have would be fine for small to medium grouper and snapper. I switched to braid about a year ago, and it has advantages for me. It stretches a lot less, so it’s easier to keep the grouper out of the rocks. Also, I can use less lead and feel the bite better. I now use a longer leader, 8’ - 12’ of mono, for a little stretch and abrasion resistance. I like a lighter leader, 30-40lb for snapper, and a heavier leader, 50-60lb for grouper. Most of my reels now have a minimum of 30# braid, and a few with 40# and heavier. I usually set my drag from about 8# - 15#, depending on the test line. I’ve found that grouper 27” and larger, and snapper 24” and larger, can take line at 12# of drag. Hope this helps.

Reactions: CVN68
Upvote 0

CVN68

Aug 23, 2021
Borden, Indiana
Name
Skippy Scotty Spencer
Boat Name
No
CVN68, I think any of the reels you have would be fine for small to medium grouper and snapper. I switched to braid about a year ago, and it has advantages for me. It stretches a lot less, so it’s easier to keep the grouper out of the rocks. Also, I can use less lead and feel the bite better. I now use a longer leader, 8’ - 12’ of mono, for a little stretch and abrasion resistance. I like a lighter leader, 30-40lb for snapper, and a heavier leader, 50-60lb for grouper. Most of my reels now have a minimum of 30# braid, and a few with 40# and heavier. I usually set my drag from about 8# - 15#, depending on the test line. I’ve found that grouper 27” and larger, and snapper 24” and larger, can take line at 12# of drag. Hope this helps.
Yes, absolutely it helps. Hearing from folks who are doing it is paramount for me. Thank you for your guidance..

Upvote 0